Sponsored

Anyone else happy not to drive their mustang and just look at it?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
You're not alone!

I've had my S197 GT for 15 years. She was always intended as a toy for going to meets and shows. After every journey she gets detailed and put away in the garage. I love to just go out to my garage and stare at her in all her shiny glory! She is known to family and friends as the Garage Queen and currently has just 21,000 miles on her.

I had various other cars, including some nice BMWs, as daily drivers. But they just never got under my skin. I decided I needed a Mustangs as a daily car, too. There was no way I was selling the Garage Queen to fund it, so it would need to be a cheaper alternative. For 4 years I drove a V6 SN95 as my daily, then upgraded to a V6 S197, which remains my daily to this day. It IS fantastic being able to have a Mustang I'm not quite so precious about, although I still give her a weekly bath to keep her looking her best. I'm English, and having a Mustang......or two(!) is pretty rare, much like you in Australia I assume.

But getting back to your point, I do get almost as much satisfaction from just owning it and looking at it as I do driving it! I guess it's like having a 1:1 scale model.........I collect enough smaller scale models to drive my wife mad, so having a bigger scale model in the garage is the next logical step :giggle:
Nice šŸ‘
Sponsored

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
I rarely drive mine mostly because I pack on at least 12-15k miles per season on motorcycles.
And our season is only about 7 months.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
The reality is, stereotypes exist for a good reason.

I know a couple who the girlfriend drinks double Jamieson on the rocks at every bar/restaurant while the boyfriend drinks cocktails orders cosmopolitans,
They get

Stereotypes exist for a reason

I have a couple friend, the girl always drinks double Jamiesons on ice and he drinks cocktails such as cosmopolitans, it's always a funny conversations with waitstaff at restaurants etc.

That being said I'm sure the stereotype of a mustang owner is a bit of a rough meat head who wants/does burnouts, of which I'm not.

It fascinates me when I see a lady driving a mustang
Incidentally, I think the prevalent stereotype of the Mustang driver (certainly around here in suburban Texas) is the high school cheerleader lol. An ol SN95 Stang was actually my sister's dream car in HS, too, heh. I don't think the Mustang was ever quite Miata level (another silly stereotype), but I think many people have considered it a "girl car", especially non-V8 variants.

But yes, most stereotypes have a history behind them, often rooted in some level of truth... but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep reinforcing them.

Last edited:

Coyote 2121

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
I really identify with a lot of what's been said on here.
I LOVE looking at my 2020 GT as much as I love driving it, and I've said that to various people frequently. Often times to people who've stopped me to admire the car.
It's "just" a GT, but GOTDAMN that's a beautiful car, and seriously, I can't drive it anywhere without someone complimenting it.
Moreso than any other car I've ever owned.
I had a guy come all the way outside to the gas pumps at a convenience store the other day, just to give me a fist bump and tell me, "I just wanted to let you know, you're driving the PERFECT Mustang"?????!!!!!!!???!!!
And I LOVE the way it sounds even more than the way it looks. So I enjoy it ALL.
And I feel you guys in the snow areas, I'm in central Texas, and I have a beater car I drive to work in the early morning when it's dark.
But I typically come home for lunch and drive the mustang back to work.
But after the daylight savings time I park it during the week and only drive it on weekends, from about November till March.
And my reason is the goddamn deer up here. Oh yeah, I used to think they were cute too, till I moved into their territory.
At Any rate, I'm not driving the most aesthetically pleasing vehicle I've ever owned, after dark, with these 150# squirrels running loose.
So I feel y'all's pain.
I've had my car about a year and put about 7k miles on it.
I'm comfortable with that amount.
Oh, I also won't drive it in the rain if I can help it.
Too big a pain it the ass getting it cleaned back up.
And I'm NOT driving it dirty!
One last thing in this essay I've written.
My woman heard my exhaust, the X pipe delete thatcame in it, and said "THAT'S how a muscle car is supposed to sound!"
At the time she was in a worn out 2015 Camaro that was beginning to cost a lot in repairs, btw she's was in that because she was about to buy a Prius, God help us all.
But I asked her what she REALLY wanted, and that was a Camaro, because her Dad had had a 68 when she was a girl.
Anyway, a few months later she got a 21Gt Premium, and she's got the bug.
New PP2 SVE wheels, fat tires, and Santa brought her a black pony for her grill, a black gt for the rear deck, and black 5.0 fender badges.
So yeah, chicks love Mustangs too.
ETA She drives it exclusively in Track (exhaust) mode for the roar...... Hahahah

Last edited:
OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
I really identify with a lot of what's been said on here.
I LOVE looking at my 2020 GT as much as I love driving it, and I've said that to various people frequently. Often times to people who've stopped me to admire the car.
It's "just" a GT, but GOTDAMN that's a beautiful car, and seriously, I can't drive it anywhere without someone complimenting it.
Moreso than any other car I've ever owned.
I had a guy come all the way outside to the gas pumps at a convenience store the other day, just to give me a fist bump and tell me, "I just wanted to let you know, you're driving the PERFECT Mustang"?????!!!!!!!???!!!
And I LOVE the way it sounds even more than the way it looks. So I enjoy it ALL.
And I feel you guys in the snow areas, I'm in central Texas, and I have a beater car I drive to work in the early morning when it's dark.
But I typically come home for lunch and drive the mustang back to work.
But after the daylight savings time I park it during the week and only drive it on weekends, from about November till March.
And my reason is the goddamn deer up here. Oh yeah, I used to think they were cute too, till I moved into their territory.
At Any rate, I'm not driving the most aesthetically pleasing vehicle I've ever owned, after dark, with these 150# squirrels running loose.
So I feel y'all's pain.
I've had my car about a year and put about 7k miles on it.
I'm comfortable with that amount.
Oh, I also won't drive it in the rain if I can help it.
Too big a pain it the ass getting it cleaned back up.
And I'm NOT driving it dirty!
One last thing in this essay I've written.
My woman heard my exhaust, the X pipe delete thatcame in it, and said "THAT'S how a muscle car is supposed to sound!"
At the time she was in a worn out 2015 Camaro that was beginning to cost a lot in repairs, btw she's was in that because she was about to buy a Prius, God help us all.
But I asked her what she REALLY wanted, and that was a Camaro, because her Dad had had a 68 when she was a girl.
Anyway, a few months later she got a 21Gt Premium, and she's got the bug.
New PP2 SVE wheels, fat tires, and Santa brought her a black pony for her grill, a black gt for the rear deck, and black 5.0 fender badges.
So yeah, chicks love Mustangs too.
i go weak at the knees when I start a mustang in non quiet mode, the growl of the engine completely does it for me!

when Im driving, obviously the road noise deafens the sound a bit

and unfortuantely manuals dont have the remote start, which im really bummed out about,
I would love to hear my car warm its engine up as I sit near it at a cafe

Sponsored

Coyote 2121

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
i go weak at the knees when I start a mustang in non quiet mode, the growl of the engine completely does it for me!

when Im driving, obviously the road noise deafens the sound a bit

and unfortuantely manuals dont have the remote start, which im really bummed out about,
I would love to hear my car warm its engine up as I sit near it at a cafe
Seriously, to me it's like angels singing.
I remote start mine every time I come out of a place just so I can enjoy hearing it.
AND, I sit in restaurants where I can SEE it in the parking lot.
Lots of idiots out there, and I don't park as far from the door as possible just so some jackass can park his work truck right up on me.
The first door ding it gets is gonna be fixed on whomever is responsible's dime.......

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Incidentally, I think the prevalent stereotype of the Mustang driver (certainly around here in suburban Texas) is the high school cheerleader lol. An ol SN95 Stang was actually my sister's dream car in HS, too, heh. I don't think the Mustang was ever quite Miata level (another silly stereotype), but I think many people have considered it a "girl car", especially non-V8 variants.

But yes, most stereotypes have a history behind them, often rooted in some level of truth... but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep reinforcing them.
Hi - Although I never owned a Mustang previously, I was around when they were introduced as the ā€˜64.5 model and if my memory is correct one of the ad campaigns was directed toward secretariesā€¦ Bruce

Last edited:

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
so i have had a mustang since 1994, thru the years i have driven as daily (1994) and now have the 3 current ones that i dont drive much (66, 12, 15) various reasons. i dont drive them in the snow... why should i when we have an edge and escape for that....
also we now have a 7yr and 4yr old that are just starting to get into "other" activites and sports.... sometimes i dont have the time to drive the mustangs at all esp when weather is like it is here on the east coast (snow, rain, freezing temps), i used to go to car shows every weekend with a mustang, but now i have not attended an "all day" car show in over 4 years. life happened.
i still like them but pratical is not happening right now....and with busy schedule i really dont need the 2 of the 3 i have.
most likely i will be selling the 15 (or trying to) in the summer to pay off the bronco sport we are getting. i need reliability and capability. the mustang is nice for 2 people, but putting the kids back there is just a pain....and i would not want them in there if i have to drive it in the snow somewhere.
im getting older, and my risk factor is changing.
call me a wimp whatever you want but family came along and things changed.

i still enjoy them and the kids do take rides with me in the summer but we dont use the mustang for "vacation" trips or anything like that....
i loved the times i had with the mustangs and will remember them but now i have other memories to make with my kids (with or without mustangs)

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I rarely drive mine mostly because I pack on at least 12-15k miles per season on motorcycles.
And our season is only about 7 months.
Same. One of many reasons I decided against moving to a GT500. It didn't make sense to me to invest another $50K in a Mustang that sits most of the time, if not more, than my lowly GT.

I've yet to hit 13K miles on my '15, and it's really looking like the last one I'll buy new; zero interest in the electric future, and don't care for the S650. On topic, it's the only Mustang I've owned this long (second was my '07 GT500) and I still find myself just sitting in my shop looking at it -- they simply nailed the design of the S550. It's still gorgeous to look at nearly eight years in.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SonicBlur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I love my S/C 16 GT, I'm blessed to have it but I do agree with OP. My car easily sits more than drives. It's not that I don't want to drive it, I just don't have the time. And if I do drive it, the entire event seems like a production, lol!

-Is it clean?
-Is it going to rain?
-Where am I going?
-Can I just enjoy my drive and not have every Nissan Altima try and race me?
-Why did I buy a supercharged car and want to just cruise and not race?
-Oh, we have weekend plans with people I don't like? So no cruising. Got it.
-Why am I attempting to drive all over on drag radials?
-Ahh screw it. I'll just go in the backyard and smoke a cigar.

This is my internal thought process every time I get the desire to drive my car, LOL

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I'm torn; I love that I don't have to drive her this winter. Last year she saw a little snow but not a lot however this winter she's in the garage and I've got my Commuter Car (a '13 Mazda 6 GS with 120k km on it) to bomb around on winter tires etc.

I didn't want to risk putting a supercharged car onto the winter streets LOL

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Hi - Although I never owned a Mustang previously, I was around when the were introduced as the ā€˜64.5 model and if my memory is correct one of the ad campaigns was directed toward secretariesā€¦ Bruce
You are correct...! And that's certainly how it all started. Since that time, the Mustang name has evolved quite a bit, but it's still a really popular car among women.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Same. One of many reasons I decided against moving to a GT500.

I've yet to hit 13K miles on my '15, and it's looking like the last one I'll buy new. On topic, it's the only Mustang I've owned this long (second was my '07 GT500) and I still find myself just sitting in my shop looking at it -- they simply nailed the design of the S550. It's still gorgeous to look at nearly eight years in.
Strokers you are so, so right. The V8 S550 is every inch a driverā€™s car but it doesnā€™t necessarily have to be driven to be enjoyed. Although it may be watered down a bit because itā€™s price point puts it in the everyman category, the S550 is simply one of the most beautiful designs ever put to paper. Just look at classic GT cars from FerrarI, Aston Martin, Jaguar and others then inject the S550 into that mix. It hangs right in there, and I believe it will stand the test of time.

And for all those inevitable howls of ā€œyeah but it was meant to be drivenā€, of course it was. So was a Ferrari Daytona, but if I owned one Iā€™m not trotting it down to Kroger for a loaf of bread.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - Being an old guy I realize that we tend to wax philosophically more than we should, so Iā€™ll try to be brief. Everyone of us is different in so many ways - upbringing, education, interests, finances, etc, that itā€™s not surprising how varied these responses are but in the background we all have a special interest in cars. Once you get bit by the ā€œcar enthusiast bugā€, you are generally hooked for life. I started as a kid counting and identifying cars going by the house on boring days when there wasnā€™t anything better to do. Sometimes itā€™s our fathers, older brothers or friends that nurtured that interest. We often go through phases where we have fun cars early in life as single guys or gals, then events like marriage and children might interfere with that. In my lifetime I knew several guys who sold their Corvettes to make the down payment on their first house, later of course regretting it. Then there are the family years with family cars and tight finances. Some of us get back into ā€œfun carsā€ at a time referred to as the ā€œmid-life crises yearsā€. Sometimes a divorce changes our situation. Eventually when the kids are gone and mortgages paid off we feel enough financial freedom that the basic love of cars rises to the forefront again and we start the next phase which might be buying classic cars we owned when younger or new sporty cars such as Corvettes, Mustangs, Challengers, etc. Iā€™m now in the twilight years of my life and to me it became time to cut back in order to make life easier for my sweet wife should I become a viable candidate for the great junkyard in the sky. So I sold my classic GTO from the ā€˜60s and my C4 Vette, leaving me with the ā€˜19 Bullitt. It is the most practical and safe car that I donā€™t worry about it breaking down and leaving me stranded somewhere. It is also a fun car to drive and Iā€™ve never lost my enjoyment of shifting gears in manual transmissions, although I happen the think 5 forward gears are enough. As my license plate says, I suspect this will be my ā€œLAST TOYā€. My granddaughter has already put dibs on it. So be understanding of otherā€™s interests, be it going to the track, trading for a new car every year, no brand loyalty, just enjoying looking at them or simply using it part of the year for leisure cruising about the countryside. Happy travelsā€¦ Bruce
Sponsored

Last edited: