Sponsored

Anyone else happy not to drive their mustang and just look at it?

RedSangAust

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
Anyone else happy with having a mustang (or anything else in life), and the knowledge of having one and looking at one makes it feel awesome and satisfying enough?

When I had my mustang, I loved it, would drive it to friends places to show, the odd longish drive, but for my daily short trips to the shops id drive my other far more practical 1.3L car.

For me just looking at it in all its glory and knowing i have one, covers most of my satisfaction!

I know im going to cop a lot for saying the ^^^
Its ok . I do the same.
Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Anyone else happy with having a mustang (or anything else in life), and the knowledge of having one and looking at one makes it feel awesome and satisfying enough?

When I had my mustang, I loved it, would drive it to friends places to show, the odd longish drive, but for my daily short trips to the shops id drive my other far more practical 1.3L car.

For me just looking at it in all its glory and knowing i have one, covers most of my satisfaction!

I know im going to cop a lot for saying the ^^^
You're not alone. Me too.

I love driving my car. But on cold, wet, rainy days, or in the winter when the roads are covered in snow and ice, it wouldn't be that much fun. It would be doable, but why bother? Maybe I'm crazy, but on days like that, I enjoy going out into the garage, taking the cover off the Mustang, and just looking at it. Maybe give it another coat of wax, or check the tire pressures, whatever. Just looking at it, knowing that it exists in the world, that almost 58 years after the first Mustang came out it's still in production, there are still gear heads that appreciate what it is, is nice.

The Mustang is a very rare car in being both aspirational, but also affordable. People genuinely want a Mustang, have posters of them on their walls. But unlike an Italian super-car, a Mustang is (relatively) affordable. It's attainable magic. Very few cars have ever achieved that.

My first car was a 1965 Mustang convertible. It was rusty, dented, and used more oil than gas. But it was a Mustang. My favorite car, in high school and college way back in the 1970's, was a 1969 Mustang Sportsroof (fastback). I bought my 2015 because it reminds me so much in many ways of that 1969. It's a modern classic, almost a factory 'resto mod.'

Now if only the love of my life, breathtakingly model-beautiful, incredibly sweet, genius intelligent, way out of my league dream-girl girlfriend I was with at the time who used to ride in the '69 Mustang with me was still part of my life...

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I can't say I've ever really "looked" at my Mustang. If it were not for the flat blue strips, I probably couldn't pick it out of a group of Mustangs. I enjoy driving it and I appreciate a lot of things about it. But, I really don't like the way any current cars look at all. I like cars that are smoother and rounder. My favorite looks are the 991 Porsche and 2011 Audi R8.

Deleted member 69033

It warned up here, snow melted and it rained for a few days so all the road salt is gone. Was able to take the car out and run some errands, get it washed up all pretty, and park it back in the garage all spotless next to the other horse...
20221231_144506.jpg

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
I love nothing more than having my '22 Mustang all cleaned up and sitting in the garage while I drive my '22 Maverick everywhere. The feeling is like no other. I can drive it, but I don't have to. That's a great feeling. But, my truck is at the dealer until Tuesday next week so my Mustang will be driven and probably get dirty, damn it. Hopefully the rain here clears up before I have to get it out in the morning. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I was going to post something along the line of, "WTF????", but to be fair I did used to sit in the 66 vette in the garage and run through the AM radio dial at night. Kind of like being in a time machine. It doesn't work on modern digital radios, alas, so the stang just gets driven.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Right on and well said by the both of you!

For the more mature of us (that is, old guys), given the current economic situation with its future uncertainty, I am very concerned about the long term financial well-being of my children and grandchildren--When I was a young parent I never thought that I would have to worry about providing for their financial security, as my parents never had to worry about my financial security--jobs were plentiful throughout my working years and pay was good. Today, this is not the case.

For those of us in our sixties and seventies, we have in our lifetimes reaped the economic fruits of our great nation that our Gen X'er, Millennial, and Gen Z children and grandchildren may never experience. Had you suggested to me forty years ago, that what we are experiencing now would be the case, I would have told that you're smoking a bad grade of dope. So I, too, have cut back on my toys in order to maximize the financial assets to be transferred to my children and grandchildren upon my and my wife's passing. It is the least I can do.

I am sure they will appreciate it long after we're gone.

RJ
[/QUOTE]
20220429_164507372_iOS.jpg

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

For the more mature of us (that is, old guys), given the current economic situation with its future uncertainty, I am very concerned about the long term financial well-being of my children and grandchildren--When I was a young parent I never thought that I would have to worry about providing for their financial security, as my parents never had to worry about my financial security--jobs were plentiful throughout my working years and pay was good. Today, this is not the case.

For those of us in our sixties and seventies, we have in our lifetimes reaped the economic fruits of our great nation that our Gen X'er, Millennial, and Gen Z children and grandchildren may never experience. Had you suggested to me forty years ago, that what we are experiencing now would be the case, I would have told that you're smoking a bad grade of dope. So I, too, have cut back on my toys in order to maximize the financial assets to be transferred to my children and grandchildren upon my and my wife's passing. It is the least I can do.

RJ
[/QUOTE]
Much of what you say is valid and being your vintage I get it, but we didn’t spend our money on mobile phones, eating breakfast out, takeaway coffee, big screen TVs, subscription TV, etc etc. we didn’t buy on credit to pay interest, we saved to buy with cash! I know we are seen as dinosaurs but the level of the sense of entitlement of many of the younger generation really irks me. Having said that I too look to secure the financial well-being of my children and grandchildren now and in the future.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A

RJ
I look at it slightly differently. I don't spend a lot of money but I like my fast cars. I also figure having one or two more won't severely impact those I leave behind me. Conversely, me driving a fast V8 may get them the money sooner. :)

Last edited:

04mazdaspeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Yep. I get just as much satisfaction watching it sit as I do driving it. I bought it to add to the "collection". Not for a daily driver. If I was retired, I would most likely drive all my toys much more but with life and other hobbies, they do sit more than most. Thats ok with me. Everytime I open the garage, its like my own car show and I love it. I just wish I would have got into collecting matchbox cars instead of the real things. I would easily been a millionaire by now. lol

Sponsored

04mazdaspeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Our backgrounds cannot change the fact that a mustang is still a mass produced vehicle, that costs less than a typical consruction truck or a full size SUV. Just sayin... it's also one of the best drivers car, awesome heritage and absolute beauty to look at. I take every chance to enjoy it driving on a street, on track, commute to work, weekend trips, mod it, hand wash and whatever else. The only thing I don't do is drive in winter just because of the amount of salt they spray on the roads here and it just destroys any car in a matter of first 6 years, and I intend to keep it longer.
[/QUOTE]

Not all mustangs are mass produced. What I mean is, your lumping in all trims of the mustang. Anything can be considered special to people. Whether that be a base model v6 that some could finally afford, or a top of the line gt500. Everyone enjoys their hobbies differently. There is NO right or wrong way to do it. I get just as much enjoyment if not more out of just washing my car and staring at it, than I do driving it and I love driving it. Im not preserving it for anyone else but me. I also just dont enjoy driving any kind of "fun" car on a daily basis to work or run errands. Not my kind of fun and I would rather have a "daily" for just that purpose. A car I dont care about. Having a daily allows me to enjoy my fun cars when, where, and how I want to instead of adding the needing to rely on it also for daily duties. I can only assume my ocd and perfectionism has something to aid in my way of thinking as well. Im not alone but Im probably the minority. Im just saying dont judge people because they are not doing what is "normal" to you. They may be just as happy or happier than you.

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
and for you folks that are happy to keep the mileage low for collection/investment purposes, other than those that literally have delivery miles on it, what kms per year would you consider to be low kms,

I would say less 1000kms per year

RedSangAust

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
You're not alone. Me too.

I love driving my car. But on cold, wet, rainy days, or in the winter when the roads are covered in snow and ice, it wouldn't be that much fun. It would be doable, but why bother? Maybe I'm crazy, but on days like that, I enjoy going out into the garage, taking the cover off the Mustang, and just looking at it. Maybe give it another coat of wax, or check the tire pressures, whatever. Just looking at it, knowing that it exists in the world, that almost 58 years after the first Mustang came out it's still in production, there are still gear heads that appreciate what it is, is nice.

The Mustang is a very rare car in being both aspirational, but also affordable. People genuinely want a Mustang, have posters of them on their walls. But unlike an Italian super-car, a Mustang is (relatively) affordable. It's attainable magic. Very few cars have ever achieved that.

My first car was a 1965 Mustang convertible. It was rusty, dented, and used more oil than gas. But it was a Mustang. My favorite car, in high school and college way back in the 1970's, was a 1969 Mustang Sportsroof (fastback). I bought my 2015 because it reminds me so much in many ways of that 1969. It's a modern classic, almost a factory 'resto mod.'

Now if only the love of my life, breathtakingly model-beautiful, incredibly sweet, genius intelligent, way out of my league dream-girl girlfriend I was with at the time who used to ride in the '69 Mustang with me was still part of my life...
Love this Write up. And Very True. Well put. Thanks for taking the time to write. Cheers.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP