Anyone drive the new GT500?

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
GT500 would be the better car of the two IMO. And I owned the 350 and now own the GT and Bullitt as well. The GT500
Is an all out race car and trust me in that statement. And the technology and just a truly bad ass car to the Max. I own the Redeye Hellcat and Charger Hellcat as well. Came from the Z06.

OP
OP

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
GT500 would be the better car of the two IMO. And I owned the 350 and now own the GT and Bullitt as well. The GT500
Is an all out race car and trust me in that statement. And the technology and just a truly bad ass car to the Max. I own the Redeye Hellcat and Charger Hellcat as well. Came from the Z06.
Damn! I like whats in your toy shed! Will you adopt me!? Lol!

MadMax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Antimatter Blue GT500 CFTP
I owned a 2020 GT500 and ended up selling it. The car was pretty amazing but just wasnā€™t the car for me. It would go 0 to jail really quick. Iā€™ve ordered a 2020 GT350R for lots of reasons but I really did miss not having a standard transmission, the 500 was the first automatic Iā€™ve ever owned in a mustang. I donā€™t think you can go wrong either way.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Da-yam man, you must be in politics. ;-)

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I owned a 2020 GT500 and ended up selling it. The car was pretty amazing but just wasnā€™t the car for me. It would go 0 to jail really quick. Iā€™ve ordered a 2020 GT350R for lots of reasons but I really did miss not having a standard transmission, the 500 was the first automatic Iā€™ve ever owned in a mustang. I donā€™t think you can go wrong either way.
There's a license plate idea!

02JAIL

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Given the fact that you live in WV, with its abundance of twisty roads, I think you would be happier with a GT 350. The GT 500 drinks huge quantities of fuel if that is a consideration.
I drove my '16 GT350 from New York to Georgia and back, twice. The drive through WV was fabulous and I'll never forget it. I just got back last night from the same drive in my '20 GT500 and it was no different with the DCT. Having a bit more power was a plus. Weight difference is a non-factor on public highways at speed so I can honestly say that the fatass of a GT500 did just as well from a vehicle dynamics perspective.

gmuffley said:
Personally, I think it is foolish to put ever greater amounts of horsepower in increasingly heavier vehicles. The potential for misapplication of the throttle at the wrong time is just too great.
It doesn't work that way. The DCT/PCM calibration is as near perfect as can be. "Misapplying" the throttle isn't somehow more likely in the GT500 than in the GT350. It is just like any other car.

Last edited:
OP
OP

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
So I got to test drive a 350 today. 1st time driving one. Def a different kind of animal. Incredible handling. I now understand the obsession with revving that thing out and listening to the engine/exhaust!

The biggest issue I had was the tramlining! Holy Sh!T.... we have terriblly uneven and cared for roads here... def need a solid grip on the wheel at ALL times...my butthole puckered a few times bc it damn near pulled me into other lane/on coming traffic. Both in town and on interstate. Def had all my senses fully engaged but not in an entirely good way.

Which leads to my question for all you 350 owners. I know some tramlining is expected due to tire size... but curious if anyone switched out the cup 2's to all seasons like michelin sport 4S or have models pre cup 2 tires? Did the tramlining decrease or become a little subdued by less track/performance oriented sticky tires?

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
So I got to test drive a 350 today. 1st time driving one. Def a different kind of animal. Incredible handling. I now understand the obsession with revving that thing out and listening to the engine/exhaust!

The biggest issue I had was the tramlining! Holy Sh!T.... we have terriblly uneven and cared for roads here... def need a solid grip on the wheel at ALL times...my butthole puckered a few times bc it damn near pulled me into other lane/on coming traffic. Both in town and on interstate. Def had all my senses fully engaged but not in an entirely good way.

Which leads to my question for all you 350 owners. I know some tramlining is expected due to tire size... but curious if anyone switched out the cup 2's to all seasons like michelin sport 4S or have models pre cup 2 tires? Did the tramlining decrease or become a little subdued by less track/performance oriented sticky tires?
Ya you gotta hold that wheel. Never know when you get a jerk to the left or right. Yes I had a set of 4S on the R for a bit. Definitely reduced tramlining. Softer ride too. Much better for daily driving. But on all honesty the R didn't feel like an R anymore.

Sponsored

Carpenater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP #LR087, 1999 SVT Lightning #3830

What year 350? The 2020 GT350's do not have the tramline pull as the 19 and earlier GT350 models due. I can tell a clear difference between the two. Ford using the 2020 GT500 steering system in the 2020 GT350's was an awesome upgrade IMO.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
I found tires have made night and day differences with tramlining.
The details of each tire are below and were on my 2016 GT350 with a track alignment (2.5-3 degree front camber with slightly positive toe and 2 deg rear camber)
- GT350 R specification PSC2 were by far the worst. Horrible tire on street and ridiculous short life on track; heat cycle out after 6-8 20minute sessions. Completely overrated tire and will never buy it again.
- MPSS factory spec tire had a little tramlining, good tire life on track
- Bridgestone RE71R, no tramlining, good tire life on track
- Bridgestone RE11, no tramlining, good tire life on track
- Nitto NT01, no tramlining, great tire life and consistent on track but are noisy

OP
OP

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
What year 350? The 2020 GT350's do not have the tramline pull as the 19 and earlier GT350 models due. I can tell a clear difference between the two. Ford using the 2020 GT500 steering system in the 2020 GT350's was an awesome upgrade IMO.
It was a 2020! I thought the same. But after researching, the 350 def got engine upgrades in 19' but I think the steering upgrades went to the 2020 R but not base 350. Could be wrong.... either way, if they did, it didn't help!

Last edited:

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
You are correct only the R got the steering upgrade in the 20. I put Michelin PSS tires on and that made a big difference in the tramlining.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
nah, i'd go with the new 911 turbo S...
Seriously? Starting at $203,000 - you must not value your money much. I was also surprised to read how porky the 911 has become. Anyway, could you explain what you like about the 911 Turbo S that makes you think it's worth 3X the GT350?

gotta love that new 718 GT4 though...sweeeeeet.
I do like the 718 GT4. But IMO mid and rear engine cars are seriously lacking drama on the street. In other words, too boring unless it was a track car only. And I don't have $100K plus lying around to spend on a track car or bland street car.

Alignment will make a difference, and you can buy less grippy or narrower tires to reduce it. IMO part of it is just getting used to the car. There's definitely a natural anxiety when the car wants to turn and you aren't ready for it.

My feedback is to not try to over control the car and let it find its line. But you also have to decide whether you like that characteristic or not. I think it's part of the charm of the GT350 and I love it - most of the time. There have been a couple times on terrible two lane roads where it was more annoying than enjoyable. I remember when I traded my GT350 for my C5 Z06 it was incredible how tame the Z06 was by comparison. And that car ended up boring me too much and it had to go..
Sponsored