Sponsored

Anyone building a dedicated track only car?

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Purchased a salvage car and will be gutting it out and building it up. Putting together a list of mods, but also interested in other's builds. Looking at:
Lighter wheels & tires ('natch)
Rollcage
Fire system or bottle/extinguisher
Fuel cell (may not have to do this right away)
Ford Racing harness (M-6017-504V anyone have experience with this?)
Racing seats (w/sliders if possible)
Coilovers
IRS (suring up whatever weak points it has)

Primary racing will be road racing and track days...be nice to hit an autocross or two, maybe even slip & slide down the 1/4 once or twice....

Sponsored

OP
OP

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent! I have been slowly reading down thru his thread....like it a lot. Thanks, mine will probably be r4eal close to this

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
That trans-am car is sweet! Also love [MENTION=15673]kkakonn[/MENTION] car, that thing looks so sexy.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Purchased a salvage car

So your the one, I was in till $12,500.00 on the first auction then got out. What you are doing is my plan as well. Best of luck with your build. I am still looking and hope to find one soon.

See you at the track, I hope.

Dave

Sponsored

OP
OP

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Dave...yeah, I'd been watching this one since Nov... took forever to come up... I went in on a few others but kept loosing out. Just didn't seem worth it at $15K+.... finally decided to go with a BIW but at $18-20K before it would be able to roll under it's own power just never sat well w/me. Said I was going for broke on this one....

I'll be sure to send you anything I see.... Will definitely be seeing you at the track. You going SCCA or NASA ?

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'll be sure to send you anything I see.... Will definitely be seeing you at the track. You going SCCA or NASA ?
Still trying to decide, most likely SCCA. I will spend a year with whatever I get developing the setup and working on an aero package while doing HPDEs. Right now I do about 13-15 HPDE events a year with, MVP, Rezoom, and 10/10ths with my NSX but with the rarity of the NSX I have decided to retire it from track use, build something with a cage in it and look at door to door. I have done a couple spec miata races and had a blast but still too slow for me.

I have been surprised at the lack of flood victims, I thought for sure with all the rain in the south and midwest there would be a bunch to choose from but no. There are a lot of front end hits to pick from and I have a good friend that is in the body/paint business so I will find something.

I have a relatively low starting budget of $40k for everything so I will have to do things in stages. If you can, make sure you document all your weights on the build I am thinking I may be able to get a GT down to 3200lbs with a cage but I am not sure.

Dave

OP
OP

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I was shocked at the low number of flood cars also. ... I will keep track of my weights. SCCA T-1 class lists the coyote at 3425 min. So hope to get into the 3300 range.

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm trying not too..LOL I bought my car for track use only really. Going pretty good so far, good platform. For low HP car moves pretty good. I ran the optima series all last year and did well, better then I thought based on the cars that show up.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I bought my car for track use only really. Going pretty good so far, good platform. For low HP car moves pretty good. I ran the optima series all last year and did well, better then I thought based on the cars that show up.
How are the RideTechs working out? They are on my short list. You managed to shed any weight from the car?

Dave

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The ride techs made the car, amazing product! Their way more advanced then all other options. You would have to get JRI or Penske to get the same performance. I'd really like to start looking for weight to shed. I'd like 150 lbs , but at this point I keep adding weight to the car from all the parts..lol
Sponsored