Sponsored

Anyone break in engine properly AND have oil consumption issues?

Abg123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M3
Hi all.. first post. Basically in the market for a new 350 or slightly used 350. I understand and have read about oil issues.. would it be wise to purchase new, so I can be SURE break in is done properly? Or are the used cars available with “NO oil consumption “ past issues ok? I understand Ford has labeled some engines as problems.. either on Carfax or internally. Also.. has anyone followed engine break in protocol and STILL have oil consumption issues?
Tks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Yes. On my 2017 R i broke it in properly (per manuel) and still ended up with an issue at 17k miles

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
If you do a search you will find there is no rime or reason whether these engines use oil. Some do then stop and vice versa. And whether tracked or not same answer.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
"Observation of oil transport in piston ring pack through a transparent cylinder. Since reducing friction loss around the piston is a top demand, there has been a tendency for rings to be narrower in width and lower in tension. In this case, an increase in oil consumption becomes an issue. With a transparent glass cylinder, the mechanism can be analyzed."
https://www.tpr.co.jp/tp_e/products/pistonring/technology.html

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Can we please stop beating that dead horse. It seems a recurring theme here that a person considering a GT350 purchase wants to know about "oil consumption and/or motor failures. Then former and current owners are all to eager to chime in and tell their story. I get it, but enough is enough.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Can we please stop beating that dead horse. It seems a recurring theme here that a person considering a GT350 purchase wants to know about "oil consumption and/or motor failures. Then former and current owners are all to eager to chime in and tell their story. I get it, but enough is enough.
The OP literally asked a specific question, and 3 of us with experience of actual topic, answered. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Put me down as one who thinks "per the owner's manual" does NOT constitute anything at all like a "proper break-in." The owner's manual provides the least common denominator of behavior to prevent damage to the engine in its first few hundred miles. It does not optimize ring seating, which requires high cylinder pressures and loads, and does indeed have something to do with oil consumption (and power). Not to say that would solve all problems, but "I followed the owners manual and had oil consumption" isn't the same as "I did an optimal break-in and had oil consumption."

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
No beating dead horse here. I will answer the OP. I had a 2016 GT350 Tech Pack. I read the "break in" in the owner's manual. I kept fairly close to it, maybe bumped 8k a couple of times to let the engine stretch its wings. But mainly under 5k until the break in was done. I then drove it like I was on a track at all times whenever possible. On the back roads the tach was between 6 to 8k at all times. It burned 1qt per 500 miles. I got on this site and read about the oil consumption. So I checked my oil. It took 5.5 quarts to fill it back up in 2500 miles. I was a little taken aback. I was glad I got on this site. It probably saved my engine.

So I did a unit test of only driving on the freeway, not over 70, got on the freeway and got off. I lived by the freeway so it was accurate. I went 1200+ miles and it did not burn anything. So it is how you drive it.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The original engine and replacment engines had the same careful breakin procedure and they both used mass amounts of oil. Careful to vary RPM, some 75% throttle pulls to help seat rings.

Changed the oil about 200 miles. The oil had more glitter than you would believe on both engines. Never cut the filters to see if there were any chunks that got picked up. Changed again at 1500, then every 3000 from there on.

First one From what I remember started using oil about 3000 miles in and progressivly got worse to the point I was stopping for oil beofre fuel.

Second engine used oil from the start.

Ford ran consumption tests and agreed to but the car back.

The plus is I got to drive the car for a year and about 18,000 miles for $1600.00. Worth every penny.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
No beating dead horse here. I will answer the OP. I had a 2016 GT350 Tech Pack. I read the "break in" in the owner's manual. I kept fairly close to it, maybe bumped 8k a couple of times to let the engine stretch its wings. But mainly under 5k until the break in was done. I then drove it like I was on a track at all times whenever possible. On the back roads the tach was between 6 to 8k at all times. It burned 1qt per 500 miles. I got on this site and read about the oil consumption. So I checked my oil. It took 5.5 quarts to fill it back up in 2500 miles. I was a little taken aback. I was glad I got on this site. It probably saved my engine.

So I did a unit test of only driving on the freeway, not over 70, got on the freeway and got off. I lived by the freeway so it was accurate. I went 1200+ miles and it did not burn anything. So it is how you drive it.
Sounds like my SeaDoo that's supercharged. Burns a quart of oil every weekend. Mostly driven at redline...
Sponsored