Sponsored

Anyone Actually Break A Half Shaft?

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
I plan on doing the DSS800 axles before dragging this car but I was just curious as to who has actually broken a stock one? I had 100 passes on my original 03 Cobra on a combination of drag radials with the Eaton and slicks with the Whipple and not a peep from the stock half shafts once. My buddy snapped one of his on his 03 Whipple on the second pass with a Whipple but that was on DRs. Wonder how long the stockers would hold up to abuse on slicks as they take most of the shock on the launch? I just got my blower finished up yesterday and will be doing some logs today as I didn't even get a chance to load the tune and start it yet. Can't wait to make the first boost pull on stock 275 P-Zeros, my NT05Rs are on the way.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
BMR has broken them on a stock car. They can be broken with a stock car and sticks apparently fairly easily if you're good. Others have never broken them with a Whipple.

If you're going to run slicks and add power, get half shafts. If you can't possible afford to replace those AND get a supercharger and a driveshaft and, to protect your engine, a crank pulley and oil pump gears and installation like me... you cry.

OP
OP
venumous

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
I did the OPG and crank sprocket. I don't plan on tracking it often at all, maybe only a few times total. Breaking a driveshaft is a big deal due to collateral damage. Breaking a half-shaft shouldn't be that big of a deal other than the tow.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
plenty of people have broken,

thats why we keep so many 800 and 1400 hp sets on hand, 3-4 weeks is a long time to be down!

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
Kelly @ BMR broke a stock axle with a stock car on stock tires AND that car is an auto. I even faintly recall Ford Performance mentioning upgrading the axles on their showcase cars when they started releasing the blower upgrades and such for the GT. We didn't want to take any chances on our cars so they all got DSS 1400 axles.

If you are looking for a smoking deal on them, hit us up as we are on of their largest Ford dealers and they work with us on every project that comes through our doors.
Sponsored