Sponsored

Anyone’s Taillights Rattle? Need Advice

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium
So I have been having the rear c pillar rattle for over four years, after doing everything to fix it, the right rear c pillar still makes some buzzing noise on rough roads.

When I close my trunk I hear a rattling buzzing noise from my taillights, when I lightly tap on the taillights they make the same noise as the c pillar rattle I hear inside the cabin.

My question for everyone is, do your taillights make any rattle or buzz when you tap on them or close your trunk?

I think the taillights cheap plastic may actually be the problem?
Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
So I have been having the rear c pillar rattle for over four years, after doing everything to fix it, the right rear c pillar still makes some buzzing noise on rough roads.

When I close my trunk I hear a rattling buzzing noise from my taillights, when I lightly tap on the taillights they make the same noise as the c pillar rattle I hear inside the cabin.

My question for everyone is, do your taillights make any rattle or buzz when you tap on them or close your trunk?

I think the taillights cheap plastic may actually be the problem?
Mine are quiet as a mouse.mayve there's something loose in the housing

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Take them out.
Shake one at a time.
If one, or both, makes noise, replace as needed.
If neither makes a noise then check the body panels.
If the body panels are good, make sure they are tightly bolted back in.
Or, if you're still under warranty, let the dealer worry about it.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Spray detailing the car earlier today and I noticed a few small felt cushions under each taillight between it and the bumper - may want to check yours.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Take them out.
Shake one at a time.
If one, or both, makes noise, replace as needed.
If neither makes a noise then check the body panels.
If the body panels are good, make sure they are tightly bolted back in.
Or, if you're still under warranty, let the dealer worry about it.
All of your steps sound like good advice except the last one. Dealers are notorious for disregarding rattles. I dont think I'd waste my time trying to bring it there.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
All of your steps sound like good advice except the last one. Dealers are notorious for disregarding rattles. I dont think I'd waste my time trying to bring it there.
Well, that would be OP's call.
I know some people fear the dealer. And some think they're useless. Personally, l'm not one to let the dealer off the hook for something they should be responsible for. And since the OP can demonstrate the problem they shouldn't have much wiggle room. And if they say no I've found I can usually push back hard enough to get things done right. Especially since, if a light is bad, it's also probably pretty expensive.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Well, that would be OP's call.
I know some people fear the dealer. And some think they're useless. Personally, l'm not one to let the dealer off the hook for something they should be responsible for. And since the OP can demonstrate the problem they shouldn't have much wiggle room. And if they say no I've found I can usually push back hard enough to get things done right. Especially since, if a light is bad, it's also probably pretty expensive.
A light being bad is different than asking them to chase down a rattle. They will Warranty a bad light. Have fun chasing down a rattle. Its a Ford. They all rattle one way or another and multiple people have gone to the dealer to get rattles addressed. Usually doesn't go the way people want.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I’m having a taillight replaced because of a defect. No rattle though. Hope the put it in like how it’s supposed to be too...

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Expecting a dealer tech to fix a rattle when many can't even do an oil change right (which they were actually trained for, at least supposedly), is wishful thinking. I tried it once a long time ago, and got my car back in worst shape, and with seats and console scratches everywhere. And of course they said my brand new car was like that already. Never again.

Having said that, I thought I finally had my new Bullitt rattle-free, only to start hearing that damn C-pillar rattle now. It also sounds like a buzzing sound, and only on rough roads too, fortunately. Will check the taillights and see if they buzz. Read a thread about that, and some folks put a lot of foam, and some claimed to have worked, but makes no sense to me. I suspect it's cheap build quality, meaning 2 sheet metal surfaces ratting against each other due to sufficient tack welds. I'd have to find the offending pieces, and try to stick something between them. But to find them. Hopefully somebody will be able to identify where the buzz is coming from, for an easier fix. I'm 99% sure it'll get worse, unfortunately :D.

OP
OP

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium
Expecting a dealer tech to fix a rattle when many can't even do an oil change right (which they were actually trained for, at least supposedly), is wishful thinking. I tried it once a long time ago, and got my car back in worst shape, and with seats and console scratches everywhere. And of course they said my brand new car was like that already. Never again.

Having said that, I thought I finally had my new Bullitt rattle-free, only to start hearing that damn C-pillar rattle now. It also sounds like a buzzing sound, and only on rough roads too, fortunately. Will check the taillights and see if they buzz. Read a thread about that, and some folks put a lot of foam, and some claimed to have worked, but makes no sense to me. I suspect it's cheap build quality, meaning 2 sheet metal surfaces ratting against each other due to sufficient tack welds. I'd have to find the offending pieces, and try to stick something between them. But to find them. Hopefully somebody will be able to identify where the buzz is coming from, for an easier fix. I'm 99% sure it'll get worse, unfortunately :D.
Yeah definitely not taking to the dealer anymore, they almost screw something up and it’s hard for them to actually find any fault, especially rattles. Do you have a link to the thread you mentioned or a title for it?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don't know where I read that, brother. Couldn't find a thread with that specific title. But have good news. Recently read that somebody chased a similar rattle (possibly the same) to the rear seatbacks' latches rattling. He wrapped the latches on the seatbacks with Tesa tape, and said the rattle disappeared. You could also put some kind of spacer on the sheet-metal part of the car (like those felt pads you put under furniture legs), to create pressure when you latch the seatbacks. I'll consider that avenue first, but have Tesa tape on the way if it fails. The tape might get damaged over time if you used those latches, but I don't. Give it a try and let me know. Hope that's it too :). Hope this helps.
Sponsored