Sponsored

Anybody went from a camaro to a mustang?

Haoie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Mustang GT
I've been heavily debating about switching over and getting a 18+ mustang. Currently driving a 17' 2SS nothing majorly wrong but just the shudder and slow cranks when engine is hot and Chevrolet service departments in my area aren't the best.

I want to know your experiences going from a camaro to a mustang. any issues on the mustang I should be looking out for as well?
Sponsored

groove93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Brown
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I came from a 2018 Camaro 1LT to a 2019 Mustang GT Premium.

The obvious transition was going from a 2.0 I4 Turbo to a 5.0 V8. (Both Automatics)

Here are some things I've noticed between the two models.

Suspension: There are some areas on highways that I frequently use where the Suspension on the Mustang is much more improved compared to the Camaro. This may or may not affect you since you're coming from a 2SS.

Paddle Shifting: I used the Paddles on my Camaro a lot for Hand/Eye Coordination due to a stoke. With the Camaro, I used to use the Stick to upshift if I had to make a hard right or left, at a stop sign one a traffic light. Then I would proceed to use the Paddles on the steering wheel. I cannot do this with the Mustang, for there's no option to move the stick to a Manual Position to move it up or down. Luckily the gears are a bit longer where I can switch gears with the Paddles as I make those types of turns.

OnStar - I've been a fan of the service and it has come in handy in the past with other vehicles. So there's no need for the service with Ford obviously, and you can save money here as well. Now if you have AAA or other services as a substitution, those alternatives will serve the same purpose.

Dash and Infotainment - I loved the simplicity of the Camaro's dash layout. It kept my eyes on the road. Transitioning to the Mustang, the Radio and HVAC controls are very busy compared to the Camaro. I have the larger Touch Screen on my Mustang, and I use Android Auto in the same manner as with the Camaro. Google Maps/Waze, Podcasts, Spotify, etc etc, there's no difference between the two vehicles (as long as you're using the larger Touch Screen". BTW I do not have the Digital Dash, just the Standard Analog dash with the small Digital Window in the center.

I do miss the simplified way to control the HVAC unit with the two Fan Vents on the Camaro, whereas you having to press a few buttons here and there to perform the same task on the Mustang.

One thing that I really do not like with the Mustang is the Speakers. I purchased the car used, and I checked to see if there was any damage done to the rear speakers, only to find none. IMO these speakers are awful. There's no Bass coming out of these speakers at all, so I have to faze the the audio more towards the Front. As a result, there are aspects of some songs that I've listened to for years that I can no longer hear, or they are much more silent. Adjusting the midrange helped, but not by much. I'm not looking for Boomy bass, for I listen to a lot of music from the 60s and 70s where the Mastering and Compression methods are much different than the 80s to now as a result of Electronic Instruments and Digital Methods of Mastering and Mixing. I have the 9 Speaker set up with no Subwoofer.

Visibility - the old Elephant in the room regarding the Camaro's Cave-like interior. I'm not a tall person, and I never had major issues sitting in this car. Yes, it is difficult if you're looking to the rear-right or rear-left for oncoming traffic, but overall, I never complained. I do however liked the seating position in the Camaro compared to the Mustang. Visibility is much improved in the Mustang, but my Windows are tinted. This does affect visibility for me during darker times of the day.
I sit much Higher in the Mustang while the seat is positioned all the way down to its maximum position. Going from Cloth to leather, I will say that both seats were very comfortable for me.

I've only had this car for 3 weeks and I've gotten used to the overall feel of the vehicle. My main gripe right now is just the Speaker System. But the sound of the V8 for me trumps those speakers any time!

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:

JDUBU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I went from a 2015 SS 1LE to a 19 GT base model. Mustang is definitely faster stock to stock. Only real reason I switched was the camaro was black and I'm too picky to enjoy a black car. The 1le was a much better feeling car buy handling wise but it was a 1le. All said and done I'm very happy with my 19 gt, all 2,000 miles so far:).

splatrd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Ecoboost, 16 Camaro 2SS, 17 Silverado
I've been heavily debating about switching over and getting a 18+ mustang. Currently driving a 17' 2SS nothing majorly wrong but just the shudder and slow cranks when engine is hot and Chevrolet service departments in my area aren't the best.

I want to know your experiences going from a Camaro to a mustang. any issues on the mustang I should be looking out for as well?
I have a 2016 Camaro 2SS and no intentions of getting rid of it. The features that come on this model, like HUD, heat/cool power memory seats, blind spot monitor, back up sensor, etc. are near impossible to find on any car in it's price range. That combined with great handling, power, and brakes makes it a great buy for the money. I recently bought a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost premium with PP1 to use as a daily driver. It handles well and has good brakes and options, but still no HUD.
I considered getting a new Mach 1, but the cost compared to a Camaro 2SS was too great of a difference. Plus it requires a $1000 gas guzzler tax, which is insane to me. My biggest complaint with the Mustang is the manual transmission. Shifting is no where near as smooth or consistent as the Tremec in the Camaro. I even changed trans fluid and upgrade both clutch lines with Steeda ones. Even though it has improved over stock, still leaves a lot to be desired. Granted the new Mach 1 will have a new Tremec, it is still not enough to get me to buy. I want to have one last new ride with V8, rear drive, manual trans, and 2 doors before they are killed off for good, but I don't know if the Mustang will fit for me. I just hope GM makes one last tweak to the Camaro to commemorate it's last year of production before it is gone for good. I won't hold my breath. If not, I will just keep the 2016 as it is long since been paid for.

Sponsored

splatrd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Ecoboost, 16 Camaro 2SS, 17 Silverado

I want to know your experiences going from a Camaro to a mustang. any issues on the mustang I should be looking out for as well?
I too had the slow crank hot starts, but found a solution on Camaro 6g forums. I just added another ground cable from the ground stud on the radiator support to the engine block. Made a huge difference. No longer have the weak slow crank when hot, plus cold starts are faster as well.
Not sure why GM never addressed this issue, especially since it was such a simple fix.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I had a 2013 Zl1 convertible, but I didn't keep it for long. I liked the way it looks a lot more than the Mustang, the engine is great and it was more comfortable. It was fun to drive, but there were too many things about it that made it impractical for trips. I bought it used and it had been modified (the usual: pulley, headers, intake, injectors and tune). First of all, it had way too much horsepower and I can't resist temptation.

Next, it's big and it's heavy... has to be 400 - 500lbs more than my Mustang. You do notice it in the handling. Considering how big and heavy it was, it should have had a better back seat. It has considerably less leg room than my Mustang and I really wanted a usable back sat. Between the size, weight and engine, gas mileage was pretty poor. If I really babied it I could get 16 mpg, which rarely happened. Usually it was more like 12 mpg and worse if I really beat on it. I don't drive a lot so that shouldn't have bothered me, but it did.

I had enough of the 20" wheels with 305 tires with my Porsche. They are a pain in the ass, because you have to swap wheels/tires for winter. Plus, the roads around here are tough on 20" wheels. I had to be constantly looking out for something that could cause a problem. It takes a lot of the fun out of driving.

I do miss that car, but the Mustang is so much easier to live with; decent room, better gas mileage, 18" wheels with all-weather tires, no temptation to be stomping on the gas pedal (well, not as much). Plus a nice warranty. It has made my life a lot simpler.

Jay Marcase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vert Eco Prem
I had a 2013 Zl1 convertible, but I didn't keep it for long. I liked the way it looks a lot more than the Mustang, the engine is great and it was more comfortable. It was fun to drive, but there were too many things about it that made it impractical for trips. I bought it used and it had been modified (the usual: pulley, headers, intake, injectors and tune). First of all, it had way too much horsepower and I can't resist temptation.

Next, it's big and it's heavy... has to be 400 - 500lbs more than my Mustang. You do notice it in the handling. Considering how big and heavy it was, it should have had a better back seat. It has considerably less leg room than my Mustang and I really wanted a usable back sat. Between the size, weight and engine, gas mileage was pretty poor. If I really babied it I could get 16 mpg, which rarely happened. Usually it was more like 12 mpg and worse if I really beat on it. I don't drive a lot so that shouldn't have bothered me, but it did.

I had enough of the 20" wheels with 305 tires with my Porsche. They are a pain in the ass, because you have to swap wheels/tires for winter. Plus, the roads around here are tough on 20" wheels. I had to be constantly looking out for something that could cause a problem. It takes a lot of the fun out of driving.

I do miss that car, but the Mustang is so much easier to live with; decent room, better gas mileage, 18" wheels with all-weather tires, no temptation to be stomping on the gas pedal (well, not as much). Plus a nice warranty. It has made my life a lot simpler.
The dashboard is relatively high too. I'm 6' 4" so it wasn't a problem for me but it's abnormally high...it's strange...and the navigation screen is tilted downward...it's strange.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Aside from what others said above, you mentioned that the GM service department was less than ideal. I'm afraid to report that Ford service departments, in my experience, aren't great either. There are numerous horror story threads here about them and I have some horror stories of my own. So, you're probably not going to have much or any better experience with Ford.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Its a dealer, just like any shop, some are good and some are bad...

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The dashboard is relatively high too. I'm 6' 4" so it wasn't a problem for me but it's abnormally high...it's strange...and the navigation screen is tilted downward...it's strange.
I did not care for the ZL1 dash layout either, especially the gauges in the console.

Jay Marcase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vert Eco Prem
I did not care for the ZL1 dash layout either, especially the gauges in the console.
Yeah man! Some people say they prefer the Camaro interior over the 2018+ Mustang interior and I just can’t see why. I’ve never owned a Camaro but I’ve rented them quite frequently and I could never find myself impressed with the interior design. For cars in this segment, I think Ford knocked it out of the park with the interior...when I look at my car as I approach, it looks sporty and complete, when I get inside, it looks just as sporty and complete. When I get in the Camaro, Charger, Challenger...I don’t feel like the interior tells the same story that the exterior does. It feels bland and incomplete...the Camaro is definitely light years better than the dodges though.

Fishels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium performance package.
Yeah man! Some people say they prefer the Camaro interior over the 2018+ Mustang interior and I just can’t see why. I’ve never owned a Camaro but I’ve rented them quite frequently and I could never find myself impressed with the interior design. For cars in this segment, I think Ford knocked it out of the park with the interior...when I look at my car as I approach, it looks sporty and complete, when I get inside, it looks just as sporty and complete. When I get in the Camaro, Charger, Challenger...I don’t feel like the interior tells the same story that the exterior does. It feels bland and incomplete...the Camaro is definitely light years better than the dodges though.
Couldn’t agree more. The interior of the Challenger and Camaro don’t fit the outside of the vehicle. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills because everyone in my real life says the opposite

In the eye of the beholder I suppose

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

I want to know your experiences going from a camaro to a mustang. any issues on the mustang I should be looking out for as well?
If you're going to ditch your car of an easy-to-fix item, then I doubt any car is going to make you happy.

I mean....maybe a Camry or Civic something?

All vehicles have issues that need to be addressed, and Mustangs have plenty. Rear suspension, MT82 6spd shifting quality, bubbling hood paint, poor shift quality with the 10A trans, rear wheel bearings, leaking trunk/rear window areas....there's plenty of issues.

Jay Marcase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vert Eco Prem
Couldn’t agree more. The interior of the Challenger and Camaro don’t fit the outside of the vehicle. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills because everyone in my real life says the opposite

In the eye of the beholder I suppose
They’ve probably never been in a Mustang to compare. I rented a Dodge Charger and the inside could have been a Chrysler Pacifica and I wouldn’t have thought any different.
Sponsored