Anybody using clear bra on their cars

jabberwoki

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
69 428 CJ Mach 1 , 2020 gt350
Im buying a car that has this stuff all over it.
Just wondering any good?
Easy to remove?
Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I have it on mine, as well as on my last two cars. About a month ago, it took a rock hit that cut the film and caused a film scuff about 1/2" long. Had the film not been there, it would have chipped the paint down to the base metal.

It can be taken off. I'm not sure how easy that is to do, as it's designed to stay in place.

atticuskid35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium - PP1, 401a, A10, AE
Yes the day I purchased my GT I drove it right to the detail shop for paint correction and ppf. Honestly if you want to preserve the paint and look I would recommend keeping it on unless it already looks like shit. I’ve seen people remove it easily with a steamer.

MaxOctane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I've seen some that when they get old, they'll crack and fade or yellow - and when you try to pull them off they can take off parts of the clear coat. Granted, technology may have changed some since then and the ones I saw that did this were pretty old - maybe tech has improved since then. Were I to go that route I'd probably have it re-done every few years to prevent that.

Sponsored

Bugs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback Restomod in GT350 livery
I had XPEL applied in selected areas (front to windshield, then along the lower sides) right after I got my GT350. No dings or chips anywhere after 5000 miles and 5 track days.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
I have the whole front of my car wrapped and it saved me alot of damage when a cabinet fell off the wall. I dont have any good pictures of the actual damage but it only got down to the paint in 2 little spots where the metal handles hit. Cabinet had about 50lbs of crap in it and was held to the wall with 30+ year old glue and a couple staples...

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
I had mine done as soon as I bought it. Had a rock hit jus below the hood. Put a big gash in the film. After about a week it healed to where you can’t tell anymore.
Mine is called XPEL. Did the painted front bumper on my new Silverado too.

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I've seen some that when they get old, they'll crack and fade or yellow - and when you try to pull them off they can take off parts of the clear coat. Granted, technology may have changed some since then and the ones I saw that did this were pretty old - maybe tech has improved since then. Were I to go that route I'd probably have it re-done every few years to prevent that.
Tech has advanced a lot supposedly. My installer said it should come right off even after 10 years no problem. I assume if he were to lie it would be that I would have to get it replaced sooner not later lol.

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
To OP I would keep it on as long as it looks good, depending if you can find out what brand it is and what year it's from. As others said the early stuff can potentially have more problems that more recent versions

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I put it on my Porsche (full front, roof, rockers, behind tires, headlights, etc), and was highly disappointed after my first trip. It was summer, so super hot as usual (TX). I didn't wash the car until I came back, and the bug crap was embedded on the film. I had to do 'paint correction' to remove it, and still wasn't like new. And with a relatively cheap car by comparison, I decided against it. The bugs also left marks on the clearcoat after 2 trips on the Bullitt, but way less than with the film, even after the 'correction'. So I'm just touching up the chips, and calling it a day :).

For those who live in hot climates, be ready to go to the carwash after each leg of your summer trip, if you want the film to look good in the long run. Bugs are not kind to PPF. And I had supposedly the best for hot climates (SunTek).

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I put it on my Porsche (full front, roof, rockers, behind tires, headlights, etc), and was highly disappointed after my first trip. It was summer, so super hot as usual (TX). I didn't wash the car until I came back, and the bug crap was embedded on the film. I had to do 'paint correction' to remove it, and still wasn't like new. And with a relatively cheap car by comparison, I decided against it. The bugs also left marks on the clearcoat after 2 trips on the Bullitt, but way less than with the film, even after the 'correction'. So I'm just touching up the chips, and calling it a day :).

For those who live in hot climates, be ready to go to the carwash after each leg of your summer trip, if you want the film to look good in the long run. Bugs are not kind to PPF. And I had supposedly the best for hot climates (SunTek).
Yeah you do have to stay on top of the stains....but hey I'd rather have bug juice etched into my PPF than the clearcoat. I think the calculation changes a bit if you're tracking the car at all. At lot more to worry about than just bugs in that environment...

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I have the whole front of my car wrapped and it saved me alot of damage when a cabinet fell off the wall. I dont have any good pictures of the actual damage but it only got down to the paint in 2 little spots where the metal handles hit. Cabinet had about 50lbs of crap in it and was held to the wall with 30+ year old glue and a couple staples...

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg
Hmmmm ....... lookin like you ought to install some bubble wrap on the front end - danger lurking everywhere there!

Glad to hear the film saved the day!

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
I did not have it on the Mustang, but I had it installed, Suntek, on both of my current vehicles and I love it.

OP
OP
jabberwoki

jabberwoki

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
69 428 CJ Mach 1 , 2020 gt350
Well ok it`s a good thing.
Thanks Fellers.