Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange (1 of 480)
Vehicle Showcase
As it stands today, there is no answer, but who knows what 5 or 10 years will bring.. we might be surprised.
I agree too it's still quite away out for sure, but I can remember just a few years ago when EV cars were just a pipe dream, and now I seem them everywhere. Imagine what we will see in 20yrs.
Sponsored

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Anything is FEASABLE with enough time and money. The Grid is too and if we could just get out of our own legislative way we could do that in 20 years easy.

It took ~35 years and the equivalent of $500 Billion of todays dollars to build the Interstate Highway system, and that was tech of the 1940s, 50s, and 60s.

Hell just shave 3-5% off all the coin we spend/spent in Iraq, homeless, immigration, EDD, Farm subsidies, Military, blah, blah, blah and we could just pay cash for the grid. Fixing the grid is NOT the problem. The real problem will be how to power it. Nuclear is the only real option today and we all know that one is a non starter. Although Elon says he could power all of the US with a Solar Farm in a small chunk of Nevada or Utah.

Hell it's not gonna matter anyway. Aliens, Meteors, or Putin will end up wiping it all out anyway. Lol
Feasible maybe, sensical ummmm we have bigger fish to fry, than to make sure everyone has an appliance to drive.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Anything is FEASABLE with enough time and money. The Grid is too and if we could just get out of our own legislative way we could do that in 20 years easy.

It took ~35 years and the equivalent of $500 Billion of todays dollars to build the Interstate Highway system, and that was tech of the 1940s, 50s, and 60s.

Hell just shave 3-5% off all the coin we spend/spent in Iraq, homeless, immigration, EDD, Farm subsidies, Military, blah, blah, blah and we could just pay cash for the grid. Fixing the grid is NOT the problem. The real problem will be how to power it. Nuclear is the only real option today and we all know that one is a non starter. Although Elon says he could power all of the US with a Solar Farm in a small chunk of Nevada or Utah.

Hell it's not gonna matter anyway. Aliens, Meteors, or Putin will end up wiping it all out anyway. Lol
we were a much different country when the highway system was built. it took something like 3 years to build the golden gate bridge in the 1930's. my state can't repave a 1 mile stretch of highway today in that amount of time.
the amount of corruption and money laundering that would take place will prevent the grid from ever being improved in a feasible manner. the politicians and those that receive the contracts will do very well. and the taxpayers will take it up the ass and still have a subpar grid.

Feasible maybe, sensical ummmm we have bigger fish to fry, than to make sure everyone has an appliance to drive.
priorities my friend. until we fix the racism built into the freeways we can't focus on anything else. i know this because the secretary of transportation told us this after he returned from maternity leave šŸ§

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
There is not any FEASABLE way in the United States to build, maintain, and provide a grid to support such an endeavor. There hasnt been an upgrade to the electrical system in the US since, maybe the early 60s. We should be far more worried about hardening out electrical grid, than how do we put more load on it, and back door tax the ever living crap out of our slaves... I mean citizens.

Not to get out into the weeds, but who do you think will pay for the upgrades initially? It will be done with bonds (our money) then we will pay higher bills to pay the bonds (still our money) then we will pay for the disposal of batteries, and then there is the obvious "infrastructure" funds from the fed (our money) and on and on it goes. It is the biggest scam on the planet.

I think we should be very concerned with the climate change on Uranus, i heard the temp there changed significantly... They all must be running cat deleted everything there..... lol
I can tell you with confidence there have been grid updates since the 60s. But thanks for your input on the topic.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can tell you with confidence there have been grid updates since the 60s. But thanks for your input on the topic.
why didn't anyone think to perform them in the most populous state? just curious, as my parents live there and routinely have blackouts in the summer when temps are in the triple digits šŸ¤”

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
why didn't anyone think to perform them in the most populous state? just curious, as my parents live there and routinely have blackouts in the summer when temps are in the triple digits šŸ¤”
Are you sure their power isnā€™t being shut off on purpose to prevent fires? Because that action does happen in Cali and is a result of the state holding utilities responsible for power lines that fall down (usually due to high winds) and create fires.

I donā€™t live in California and I understand the grid canā€™t support full EV adaptation today. However, rolling blackouts in California are often related to the requirements of the California government imposed on utilities and likely not because the grid canā€™t keep the lights onā€¦

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure their power isnā€™t being shut off on purpose to prevent fires? Because that action does happen in Cali and is a result of the state holding utilities responsible for power lines that fall down (usually due to high winds) and create fires.

I donā€™t live in California and I understand the grid canā€™t support full EV adaptation today. However, rolling blackouts in California are often related to the requirements of the California government imposed on utilities and likely not because the grid canā€™t keep the lights onā€¦
It's both here in California. Due to the Wildfires in the past we have these "Preventative" power outages anytime the wind speed exceeds 5mph. It's ridiculous as the areas effected are tied to much larger areas. I live adjacent to the coast here in the SF Bay Area in a Cement City with little to no trees, yet my power goes off several times during the summer winds.

Then there is the "brown outs" when the power consumption at peak hours hits.

I live in the suburbs on the SF Peninsula and I have a generator and transfer switch to power my house in the summer months. It's ridiculous for sure!

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not to get too far off topic but . . .what was the topic of this thread?

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
The same unprotected tech, but we do have smart meters, which a huge help......

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Level 5 autonomous cars are still a ways off. The AI required to analyze the dynamics of all driving conditions is still in its infancy. As for charging, inductance is a viable means but requires a huge renovation to our roads.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's both here in California. Due to the Wildfires in the past we have these "Preventative" power outages anytime the wind speed exceeds 5mph. It's ridiculous as the areas effected are tied to much larger areas. I live adjacent to the coast here in the SF Bay Area in a Cement City with little to no trees, yet my power goes off several times during the summer winds.

Then there is the "brown outs" when the power consumption at peak hours hits.

I live in the suburbs on the SF Peninsula and I have a generator and transfer switch to power my house in the summer months. It's ridiculous for sure!
its a joke. my elderly parents lose their power (their air conditioning) when its freaking 100 degrees out. they installed an entire roof of solar panels and generate more power than they use so it gets routed into pg&e's grid. but during the brown out, their power gets shut off! they don't even fully own their own damn panels despite paying for them. if i knew anything about electrical work i would go down there and wire up a switch so they could maintain their own electricity during those time periods. of course theres some stupid rule against doing that so they can't find anyone willing to help them. 3rd world status achieved.

Not to get too far off topic but . . .what was the topic of this thread?
I think it had to do with ICE sales in California. :crazy::like:
i think it had something to do with which oil should gt500 owners use. that or why isn't there a manual trans option..............

that should get the party started in here :giggle:

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
its a joke. my elderly parents lose their power (their air conditioning) when its freaking 100 degrees out. they installed an entire roof of solar panels and generate more power than they use so it gets routed into pg&e's grid. but during the brown out, their power gets shut off! they don't even fully own their own damn panels despite paying for them. if i knew anything about electrical work i would go down there and wire up a switch so they could maintain their own electricity during those time periods. of course theres some stupid rule against doing that so they can't find anyone willing to help them. 3rd world status achieved.
That stupid rule is to stop people from accidentally back feeding the grid and killing linemen who may be working on equipment that is de-energized.

However, Iā€™d imagine there are ways to safely allow solar users to continue to use their produced energy safely during power interruptions. Doesnā€™t make sense to me why itā€™s not allowed so long as the proper safety measures to limit back feed are in place.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That stupid rule is to stop people from accidentally back feeding the grid and killing linemen who may be working on equipment that is de-energized.

However, Iā€™d imagine there are ways to safely allow solar users to continue to use their produced energy safely during power interruptions. Doesnā€™t make sense to me why itā€™s not allowed so long as the proper safety measures to limit back feed are in place.
Linemen or not I can tell you itā€™s not a great feeling to have spent as much as they did on panels only to sit in the dark and sweat your balls off because thereā€™s no electricity.

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Solar roof top panels are great to power your home and get your electricity for free, but your folks need a Tesla wall battery to keep the electricity on when the power goes out. Or they could get a generator. OH WAIT THOSE ARE ALSO OUTLAWED HERE IN KALIFORNIA.

As for the Manual Transmission I would totally get one, but our lofty Gel Hair Governor requires all cars to be turned off at stop lights and stop signs to protect the environment and the indigenous spotted butterflies from excessive noise during they migration routes, and that plays havoc on pushing in the clutch all the time to start the car.
Sponsored