Sponsored

Anybody have regrets about having 18 A10 vs 17 A6.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I am finally having a search for a Gt. Not really in a rush with winter coming here in PA. I was certain I wanted a 15 thru 17 to mod out. But the price of these used ones are pretty crazy. I'm finding 18's for not allot more. The problem I have is I guess I live in Truck country and there is almost nothing within a 3 hour radius and really the best options I find are on carvana since they have the market cornered on Mustangs I swear. I am all about doing good test drives but I just don't have easy access to these cars.

So, in the mean time I've done way too much research and of course I can then find issues with 18+ GT's in particular. I'm about dead set on an automatic. I figured I would like to have an A10 with all the hype around it. I did test drive one on a very slow test drive a few months ago and really thought it shifted around too much. But then I start researching and found too many articles about A10 problems. I usually keep a car for 150000 and really looking for some reliability with the Motor and Trans. I will not be doing any racing other then a possible autocross. Just mostly spirited driving in the mountains and daily activities. Is the A10 worth the reliability concerns or like many issues, are they just over blown. Plus a little more engine concerns too.

So I'm now thinking to just shoot for a 17 A6 and get it tuned. My A6 in the Eco worked pretty good in sport mode. I have not been able to drive an A6 GT yet though. So, has anyone had experience with the models and regretted it. I assume not but just want to check as my search continues.
Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My 2018 A10 Premium GT has been flawless in nearly 13,000 miles. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Show me any make and model that has not had issues, including the A6 versions.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The A10 is used in many Ford and GM models and has been a major success, with no major issues.

Your observation about shifting too much is a result of two things: 1) you aren't familiar with all of the mode settings and combinations and 2) the transmission doesn't know you and hasn't had time to learn your driving style.

I also have a 2018 GT with 13k miles and zero issues.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Chalk me up as well at almost 19k miles with no issues at all. It's great for daily driving and also powerful in the performance aspect. I wouldn't hesitate to have another... this coming from a guy that was devoted to manuals only for 20 years

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Thanks for the insight. I saw a couple threads in the issues forum that got me thinking. Over the years I just didn't hear much about A6 issues. Any chance any of you came from a 15 thru 17 model?

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
23K miles no problems with the A10. In normal you can barely feel the shifts. In sport, every gear is maximized on acceleration with satisfying rev-matched down shifts decelerating.

101a

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost 101a
Someone did bring it up but the 10R80 is used in the F-150, Camaro, Expedition, Ranger, Tahoe/Escalade. GM and Ford assemble their transmissions separately and I'm sure tune separately but we're all in the same boat together.

If you look into it, it's really a 7 speed transmission with 3 overdrive gears. I have to downshift into 7th to start slowing down on the highway.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
A Gen 3 Coyote (MY18+) + the A10 is much quicker than a MY15-17 + A6.

Also, with the MY18+ you can get a [factory] automatic with the Performance Package, based on your use, I'd definitely look for a PP car.

Even if you don't go PP, looks for at the very least, a car with the 3.55 rear end, makes a huge difference (the PP comes with the 3.55 which in the PP is also a TORSEN diff).

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Maskedracerx
Any chance was your 16 engine and trans tuned as a comparison. My biggest want is pretty sure a premium since pretty hard to update that stuff. I like the PP option but probably planned to change gears all along possibly to 3.73 and I loved the Ford racing suspension I had on the Eco. Would like the large brakes though. I live in mountains.

Unfortunately most 18+ decent deals are manuals and Black. Definitely no more black cars.

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
10 speed with the pp is excellent, I wouldn't discount how many perks the pp adds. After a short learn it stops gear hunting and is very smooth in normal and violently fast in sport. I'm not sure why you'd want an even shorter final gear ratio than 3.55, it's not a tall geared mt82.

Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Also, the A10 come standard with the remote start feature. It sounds great starting up cold!

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Yeah I echo the sentiments here. Had a bolt on 14 GT w/ A6 (cobra jet induction, exhaust, Lund 100 octane tuned) and my 18 GT pp1 on E85 is such a better all around performer. But, if you would be happy with tuned 17 a6 suit yourself.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I failed to mention the rear gear and glad some others brought it up.

I have the 3.55 rear gear with my A10. Although the 18's and up aren't torque monsters like the 6.4 Hemi's, the 3.55 makes a difference.

I took a passenger out for a fun spin a few weeks ago and he was astonished at the shifts in "Drag" mode.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
1602543240039.png

Love the A10. Only thing better would be a dct. But to be honest I would have taken which ever was the best deal regardless of trans.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Yeah I had the DCT in my Audi TTRS and it was incredible. I was surprised that I wasn't that disappointed when I went to the A6 Eco. It's good to hear all the good marks given to the A10 here. I was expecting a few "stay away" comments.

The reason I figured I needed gearing was because in 16 when I was gt shopping I was disappointed with the low end power. Desided I would wait to get one out of warranty to mod and tune. And living in a cold region I sure do like the remote start. Although I couldn't hear the Eco start. Lol. If I end up with an 18 I probably won't tune or mod until warranty is up. I was afraid by some reviews the A10 would be a little my Infiniti QX70, up shift so quick into the high gears and lug during normal driving. I'm not going to be going flat out often.
Sponsored