Sponsored

Anybody had issues with replacing front and rear emblems from CJ's?

Exodus5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I recently bought a new 2020 Mustang GT and decided to convert to gloss black emblems.
I bought the side emblems (original Ford parts) from AM and the front and rear (Ford licensed) from CJ's Pony Parts. It apears the CJ's parts are "pnpdepot/UPR" parts. I removed the original chrome parts and cleaned with rubbing alcohol (per CJ's Youtube instructional video) but the front Pony is already popping loose on both ends after 1 day and the double sided tape pulled off of the EMBLEM side on the rear emblem. Still sticking great to the decklid panel.
I figure I already know the answer here, but has anybody else experienced these parts not being as good as the original Ford pieces?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
At what temps are you trying to apply new emblems?

OP
OP

Exodus5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
At what temps are you trying to apply new emblems?
It was in the upper 50’s in my garage and I heated the panels with my heat gun (which I was also using for removal of the stock emblems).

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
It might be a cheap version of the double sided tape. 3M sells a automotive grade double sided tape. Take off the emblems that are coming off and peel the old stuff off and put the better 3M tape on it and it should be good.

OP
OP

Exodus5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
It might be a cheap version of the double sided tape. 3M sells a automotive grade double sided tape. Take off the emblems that are coming off and peel the old stuff off and put the better 3M tape on it and it should be good.
I have a support call in to CJ’s to see about returning them or exchanging them so I can’t try that yet. If they won’t help out I may try it.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I have a support call in to CJ’s to see about returning them or exchanging them so I can’t try that yet. If they won’t help out I may try it.
Ok cool. Hope they help you out. I’ve done the replace the tape thing on things that were coming off and on brand new stuff where the tape looked like cheap ass tape that would eventually fail. I always have a roll of the wide 3M double sided tape in my tool box. I use it often.

OP
OP

Exodus5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Ok cool. Hope they help you out. I’ve done the replace the tape thing on things that were coming off and on brand new stuff where the tape looked like cheap ass tape that would eventually fail. I always have a roll of the wide 3M double sided tape in my tool box. I use it often.
I checked the tape backing in the trash and it WAS the 3M stuff. I did notice when I put the deck lid emblem on that the tape was almost not covering the edges of the emblem.

ScubaSteve2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
We used automotive double-sided tape from the local Halfords - worked well.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
Driver side 5.0 emblem came off a day or two after installation, leaving the tape on the fender. Didn't notice it until after a drive, so I don't know where it might be. Contacted CJs thru their site and by email, but got no response. Ended up buying a new pair, and the new one has stayed on. CJs is on my shit list now, due mostly to their non-existent customer service.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Exodus5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
We used automotive double-sided tape from the local Halfords - worked well.
I ended up buying what I think was the same emblem from UPR but taking the whole panel off and using the included retaining clips. It still doesn’t look perfect, but it is good enough.
Driver side 5.0 emblem came off a day or two after installation, leaving the tape on the fender. Didn't notice it until after a drive, so I don't know where it might be. Contacted CJs thru their site and by email, but got no response. Ended up buying a new pair, and the new one has stayed on. CJs is on my shit list now, due mostly to their non-existent customer service.
They are now not a company I will do business with.

ScubaSteve2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up buying what I think was the same emblem from UPR but taking the whole panel off and using the included retaining clips. It still doesn’t look perfect, but it is good enough.

They are now not a company I will do business with.
Its a pity - love Bill's demo videos but that sounds like really crap customer service

OP
OP

Exodus5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Its a pity - love Bill's demo videos but that sounds like really crap customer service
This isn’t the first time I’ve had issues. Bought a set of LCA’s from them at the Mustang anniversary show in Charlotte, NC (2015?) and they didn’t fit right. It was a HUGE hassle getting them to take them back. Had to get the manufacturer of the parts involved.

lb18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Had the exact same issue with the front pony emblem. I got CJ's to send another and unfortunately it did not fit much better than the first but I gave up and decided to live with it not being perfectly flush. To me it seemed like the emblem should be more rounded vs. flat for lack of a better way to describe it. That would have allowed the tape to make better contact but anymore I'm getting over my OCD on that stuff

OP
OP

Exodus5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Had the exact same issue with the front pony emblem. I got CJ's to send another and unfortunately it did not fit much better than the first but I gave up and decided to live with it not being perfectly flush. To me it seemed like the emblem should be more rounded vs. flat for lack of a better way to describe it. That would have allowed the tape to make better contact but anymore I'm getting over my OCD on that stuff
When I returned the defective parts they just refunded me. I sent an email asking why they didn’t send me new ones (I asked for an exchange) but when they didn’t respond I bought a Stanginator for the front (which also doesn’t fit flush) and the rear “GT” emblem from LPR.
Just today I received a reply to my inquiry (over a month after I sent it) about an exchange instead of refund. That really sums up CJ’s customer service.
Sponsored