Sponsored

Anybody finding rock chips past the front fenders?

OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
OP, what is your budget?
I'm spending about $1,800 on the package I'm getting (partial hood, partial front fenders, full front bumper, head lights, mirrors, partial roof, rear deck lid panel). It's an additional $1,300 for full hood, full fenders, which is probably out of my budget. Not sure that is worth it for a daily driver either.

1blkpny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT premium
I put a set of the molded splash gaurds that American muscle sells when I got the car. No rock chips what so ever on either side of the car. Also did c quartz uk3 and it looks like new yet. The splash gaurds also looks good in my opinion. Lots better looking than the flat ones.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I would get rock guards ASAP.
Skip the trunk panel, bc clear film hates to adhere to it for some reason. You would do better to cover it in vinyl instead. Consider adding the "luggage" protection at the top of the rear bumper.
Consider covering the full hood. Rocks can bounce and hit your hood (or roof), and no film edge line looks so much better. Talk to your installer to see if he will adjust the pattern to cover under your hood vents, and then take off the vent trims beforehand. He can also fold the film under the vent edges, too. This also prevents any film edges from showing at/around your vents.

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
Two on the hood and two on the roof...12,000 miles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
I would get rock guards ASAP.
Skip the trunk panel, bc clear film hates to adhere to it for some reason. You would do better to cover it in vinyl instead. Consider adding the "luggage" protection at the top of the rear bumper.
Consider covering the full hood. Rocks can bounce and hit your hood (or roof), and no film edge line looks so much better. Talk to your installer to see if he will adjust the pattern to cover under your hood vents, and then take off the vent trims beforehand. He can also fold the film under the vent edges, too. This also prevents any film edges from showing at/around your vents.

Yup, absolutely all of this. If I could go back and do it over, or if I traded my 16 GT in for something newer, I would do much if not all of this the next time around. Maybe if I brought this car in to get paint corrected some time then I'd go this whole route rather than the partial clearbra coverage I got.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Is anybody finding these cars are susceptible to rock chips on the roof, a-pillars, or anything behind the front fenders?
Hell yes, the most rock chip'n'est paint I've ever seen. To the point that I wonder if it was improperly formulated for my car.

Maybe Ford cheaped out on the paint? Maybe the EPA killed all the decent automotive paint?

In addition to what one might expect on the front of the car, I have rock chips on the driver door panel, rear fender, the roof, and even one on the underside of the hood's leading edge. The one that is inside the engine compartment where it touches the soft rubber seal. All told about 10-12 chips in 2.5 years (19,000 miles).

I live and drive in an urban environment and avoid gravel, dirt, and construction like the plague.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
For what it's worth, I drove a 2011 Mustang GT for about 50k miles and had very few rock chips. Even where a good size rock hit the leading edge of the hood, it left a scratched area but no actual chipping. Wonder if Ford changed something on the S550 that's made the paint more delicate. It seems to me like my 2018 has less orange peel than my 2011, but that may suggest that it's thinner.

gnatsuM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I dunno, my '08 chipped easily. This time I spent some coin to protect my '19

Sponsored

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
On my car the rear quarter panels are getting absolutely torn-up. I now have the whole rear quarter panels clear masked but not in time to save it. I'll have to re-paint then add mask next time.

Snook66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Grabber Blue
I get chips everywhere, I think I can get rock chips backing out of the driveway.
Sponsored