Sponsored

Anybody else's clutch getting softer during break in?

jasonc0604

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus SE "Slocus"
So I've had my GT for a little over a month. I babied the thing (ie. didn't beat too hard on it) for the first 1,000 miles but ever since I have been getting on it a little. I'm right at 2200 miles and all of a sudden either my shifts have become very improved (been 5 years since I daily drove a stick) or my clutch has become a lot smoother, almost soft. The clutch is not slipping but I have to ask is this a normal part of the break in of a new clutch? To be fair, I've never owned a brand new car with a manual nor have I ever had to replace a clutch and have a brand new clutch.

FYI: I have not pulled the clutch assist spring.
Sponsored

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
So I've had my GT for a little over a month. I babied the thing (ie. didn't beat too hard on it) for the first 1,000 miles but ever since I have been getting on it a little. I'm right at 2200 miles and all of a sudden either my shifts have become very improved (been 5 years since I daily drove a stick) or my clutch has become a lot smoother, almost soft. The clutch is not slipping but I have to ask is this a normal part of the break in of a new clutch? To be fair, I've never owned a brand new car with a manual nor have I ever had to replace a clutch and have a brand new clutch.

FYI: I have not pulled the clutch assist spring.
Anything that breaks in will feel different and/or you might be getting used to it...pull that spring and you will LOVE It :)

stangdan26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
As I understand the factory clutch doesn't require much if any break in or "bedding" I would say it's more you subliminally becoming more in tune with the clutch slip and engagement points but maybe someone with more technical expertise on here can elaborate. All in all though it's still two friction materials, one harder than the other so I'm sure there is some combination of you becoming more in tune and the clutch disc creating its own bed on the flywheel and pressure plate. Totally different story for the more aggressive aftermarket clutches and twin disc setups however.....
Sponsored