Anybody driven the 1LE Camaro?

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
I'm sure this site will be biased but I'm probably getting rid of my GT this week and I need another ride. I just can't get over the crap body shop worl from the previous owners accident.

Anyways prices are high for everything and I was thinking about a same gen whipple GT or spending much more on a c7 z51.

Then I started reading about the Camaro 1LE and it really seems to check mark all the boxes I wanted in a muscle car just like the mustang. I used to have a 2010 SS and it was a fun ride.

Anyone driven the 1LE? The 1LE and whipple GT are the same price
Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
The 1LE is just like the Performance Pack Mustang GT, in fact, I'd go as far to say that the 1LE essentially is the Performance Pack. Engine is 455hp vs 460hp, whether you prefer your torque down low, or the Mustang's amazing mid-range response. Has big brakes, although their pads are more expensive. Comes with better tires from the factory, but that's easily fixed. It does have all the optional coolers, so perhaps it's moreso closer to the Mach 1. It's hard to see out of them, but the seats are nice. I guess it depends on what you're looking for, it's a solid car, but it costs more, and so end of the day, they're darn near spot on identical, coming down to brand preference.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
The 1LE is just like the Performance Pack Mustang GT, in fact, I'd go as far to say that the 1LE essentially is the Performance Pack. Engine is 455hp vs 460hp, whether you prefer your torque down low, or the Mustang's amazing mid-range response. Has big brakes, although their pads are more expensive. Comes with better tires from the factory, but that's easily fixed. It does have all the optional coolers, so perhaps it's moreso closer to the Mach 1. It's hard to see out of them, but the seats are nice. I guess it depends on what you're looking for, it's a solid car, but it costs more, and so end of the day, they're darn near spot on identical, coming down to brand preference.
I'm going to test drive one soon hopefully. The only thing I am not perfectly happy with my 15 gt performance is the shifting but I never got to try out the mgw so maybe that would have solved some of my frustrations with it.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
@shogun32 owns both, he can give you a solid comparison...

Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to test drive one soon hopefully. The only thing I am not perfectly happy with my 15 gt performance is the shifting but I never got to try out the mgw so maybe that would have solved some of my frustrations with it.
These remote mounted shifters are friggin' terrible, I don't believe the 1LE is any different in that regard. I'm definitely going MGW at some point in this 3 month off-season, I can't even grab 5th reliably.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
These remote mounted shifters are friggin' terrible, I don't believe the 1LE is any different in that regard. I'm definitely going MGW at some point in this 3 month off-season, I can't even grab 5th reliably.
According to what I have read the 1LE has a shorter oem shifter throw, easy clutch, and no lockout problems so that's really what got me interested in it.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I would buy a Porsche Cayman over the silly looking Camaro.
Cayman.png
That's definitely out of my price range lol. Never had a Porsche either, not sure I could afford the repairs and maintenance.

Rocketeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A PP
Are we talking 1LE SS? If so what year?
I drove older model with A8 on Hwy14 and big tujunga and the thing got its tranny overheated in about 30 minutes in. Butt dyno wise it didn't feel any faster than the MY19 GT PP1.
1LE ZL1? Never got a chance.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You're right the responses here will be biased toward the GT. Most will complain about the trunk, visibility, and ergos of the Camaro. Some will say it's ugly (looks are obviously subjective) which to me it is not. I have a '21 ZL1 which is similar suspension wise to the SS 1LE, with slight chassis/suspension tuning updates due to the fact there's a supercharger and a lot more power instead of an NA engine. I came from a 2018 Mustang GT PP1 w/ MagneRide, so needless to say, my GT was much better handling than a 2015 GT. Now, the SS 1LE doesn't have the 650 hp LT4 like the ZL1, but it has similar handling and suspension to the ZL1, so I think I'm qualified to compare the two. FWIW, I contemplated keeping the GT after I took delivery of my ZL1, but sold it a few weeks later when I realized there was never a situation where I would choose to drive the GT over my ZL1. Let me preface this by saying I realize the ZL1 is in a higher performance class than a regular SS or GT, however, since you asked about the SS 1LE, and the ZL1 suspension being very similar, I think the comparison stands.

That said, my ZL1, and similarly the 6th gen SS 1LE, is a much better handling car than my GT with PP1 and MagneRide. Considering the GT w/ PP1 and MagneRide is superior to the regular GT PP1, there will be no question the SS 1LE will feel light years better than your 2015 GT. The chassis is tighter, steering is better, better weight distribution, less body roll, better suspension damping, etc. The seating position is lower and feels more sports car like compared to the Mustang. When I drove my GT after my ZL1 it felt like a regular car at first, in comparison. Here's a small example highlighting the difference in chassis: there's quite an angled ~18" long curb to get onto my driveway. The GT, despite it being new when I got it, rocked back and forth 3 times before settling when backing out of the driveway at an angle at a very slow speed each time a tire went down the "ramp". My ZL1 doesn't rock when backing out at the same angle and speed - it simply drops down with the curb and settles nearly immediately. There's a very slight rebound in the suspension, but the difference is night and day. I believe that tightness translates to how tight the car feels while driving compared to my GT.

The SS 1LE is ~75 lbs lighter than a similarly equipped GT PP1, despite the Camaro having a 3 gal larger fuel tank and all the coolers necessary for running it hard. To put it in comparison the 650 hp M6 ZL1 weighs 3,904 lbs (with 19 gal of fuel), while a 480 hp Mach 1 M6 weighs 3,830-3,844 lbs (with 16 gal of fuel). Only about 60-70 lbs separating a supercharged ZL1 from a naturally aspirated Mach 1. And the ZL1 has heated/cooled fully electric Recaros. The Camaro also has a superior weight distribution when compared trim for trim. My ZL1 with a supercharger is 54/46 front/rear, which is equal to a regular Mustang GT and the Mach 1. A Shelby GT500 is 56/44, for comparison.

SS 1LE (and ZL1) comes w/ 20" forged aluminum wheels and awesome Goodyear Eagle F1 supercar tires. Not even a GT500 comes w/ forged wheels (they are "flow formed" on the base GT500). The forged 20x10 front and 20x11 rear SS 1LE wheels are about 3 lbs lighter and stronger than the smaller cast aluminum GT PP1 wheels, which weigh about 33 lbs, despite being only 19x9 and 19x9.5 (rear).

Interior wise, the designs are very different, but my GT Premium and my ZL1 were similar in quality. I think the ZL1 edges my GT Premium because the ZL1 has a bunch of Alcantara everywhere (which the SS 1LE doesn't get) which has a premium feel to it. I prefer the design of the ZL1 interior over the GT Premium as well - the ZL1 interior feels more like a sports car compared to the Mustang.

Let's look at the cons of the Camaro: outward visibility is definitely worse than the Mustang. But mostly it's something you get used to. I'm used to it now after 3 months of ownership. I also adjust my side mirrors out far enough so I don't have to look over my shoulders, so there is no "blind spot" for me, per se in the car. Ingress/egress is slightly worse in the Camaro, due to the fact that my ZL1 has wider side skirt, Recaros, and 1" longer doors than the Mustang. I didn't use the seat exit feature (where it automatically moves back upon door opening) on the Mustang, but I do on the Camaro. And the last thing - the trunk: It's a smaller trunk with a smaller trunk opening. I don't carry large items in my trunk, so it's been a non-issue for me. It also has a smaller center console, FWIW.

I think if you drove your 2015 GT back to back with an SS 1LE you'd feel like you took a huge leap forward in overall performance. Plus, aside from the handling and chassis prowess, the 6th gen SS 1LE is also quicker than a 15-17 GT by about 1/2 sec. in the 1/4 mile.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
That's definitely out of my price range lol. Never had a Porsche either, not sure I could afford the repairs and maintenance.
You can work it out over the GM Camaro. I'd go with the new C8 Corvette. It is has the better looks and better performance over the silly Camaro.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
According to what I have read the 1LE has a shorter oem shifter throw, easy clutch, and no lockout problems so that's really what got me interested in it.
The SS/1LE is the equivalent of a GT350, minus the schmancy engine. Otherwise it is an almost perfect feature match for 15-20 grand less. Handling dynamics the 1LE is superior to both the PP2 and GT350. GM really knows how to get MRC (nee Magneride in Ford-speak) working properly. The 1LE also has 5 levels of computer assistance in Sport mode and 3 or so in Track mode. With Ford you get what Ford deems appropriate in the Sport/Track modes and whatever turning off ESC buys you.

The 1LE is a true performance car, not a GT that's overachieving. There are some soft bushings that could stand to be replaced but not essential. Similar to what everyone does on the Mustang if they want the Mustang's mushy chassis feedback to telegraph what the damn IRS is doing back there. Both of my Mustangs got the full bushing and bracing solutions thrown at them

The cabin is nicer in the Mustang and friendly. The Camaro is basic but I don't mind. I'm driving, not fiddling with the console.

The 1LE Recaros work for even 250lb me, whereas the GT350 ones were bit tight. The GT/EB Leather Recaros are almost too loose. The 3-point in the 1LE holds me securely. In the Mustang I want a harness.

Yes the shifter is shorter but it's considerably more 'vague' in the sense that the MT82 is VERY detent oriented. The Tremec in both the 1LE and GT350 are miles more 'snick, snick' smooth but a little unclear as to their state.

Since you have a '15 try to wrangle a drive in a 18+ GT with the Steeda shifter support bracket installed. Vastly cheaper than a MGW and solved the problem for me.

The clutch seems to depend on the car. 5 out of 5 ZL1/ZLE I've driven the clutch feel and take up was intuitive - basically no different than the Mustang. On my 1LE the feel is annoyingly different - VERY short engagement point and heavier. I drove 3 other SS/1LE and some were somewhat better and some were the same as mine, but none matched the ZL1s. I haven't yet figured what is different between the SS and ZL1 (piston? lever ratio? slave size?) that makes them different. I would LOVE if my clutch behaved like the ZL1 cars!

I agree the 15-17 cars have egregious lockout (@EmCel's car is what I'm familiar with) problems that mostly don't exist on my '19 GT. The Camaro has never indicated it was unwilling to find a gear. That said, GM has the damnable 1->4 'fuel savings' lockout that rears it's head. You can buy a $15 plug to defeat it, pull the actuator pin out of the trans, or have your tuner turn the feature off. Or you learn to not be a pussy with the gas pedal and use enough to bypass the computer interference. But the stupid message will always pop up.

I would buy a Porsche Cayman over the silly looking Camaro.
sure but it's only an easy 2.5x in price

Some people try to make the Mustang a practical 2+2 car. I think they are kidding themselves but whatever. The Camaro loses BADLY in rear seat practically and trunk access/usability. Treat it the same as a Corvette in that respect IMO. The eyebrow in the Camaro is way too low but you get used to it by not pulling up so far at a light. I like the styling of both frankly though I wouldn't mind if GM dropped the belt-line by 1.5" and raised the roof 3/4" to give it better proportions.

With the Camaro you have to watch out for passenger side quartering window blindness. The window they have is a farce and until I aimed my mirrors correctly and got used to it, a lane change to the right had me as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a roomful of seniors in rocking chairs. This is where the 2SS trim's blind spot monitor can be very worthwhile.

The Camaro has a PDR (perf video recorder) option licensed from Cosworth. It's not cheap ($1600) and you can do plenty with Torque or TrackAddict on your phone for vastly less but it's neat nonetheless. Why Ford was so stupid as to not license it for their GT350 or GT500 I have no clue. Talk about tone-deaf.

I'm not particularly limber and you definitely sit lower in the Camaro but it's not that hard to get in/out of. The Mustang is clearly easier though.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Here's a small example highlighting the difference in chassis: there's quite an angled ~18" long curb to get onto my driveway. The GT, despite it being new when I got it, rocked back and forth 3 times before settling when backing out of the driveway at an angle at a very slow speed each time a tire went down the "ramp". My ZL1 doesn't rock when backing out at the same angle and speed - it simply drops down with the curb and settles nearly immediately. There's a very slight rebound in the suspension, but the difference is night and day. I believe that tightness translates to how tight the car feels while driving compared to my GT.
Just curious about this small detail (camaro is not an option here, though I also think it looks good), but did you ever try that manoeuvre with the Mustang magneride suspension set to "track"? (Unfortunately that means you have to set the driving mode to track also.)

My daily commute has me going up some semi-twisty roads in the beginning, and both "normal" and "sport" (not sure there's any difference between these as far as suspension is concerned) are kind of like being on a boat, but track is much better and firmer. Wonder if the difference would have beensimilar backing out of your driveway.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
You're right the responses here will be biased toward the GT. Most will complain about the trunk, visibility, and ergos of the Camaro. Some will say it's ugly (looks are obviously subjective) which to me it is not. I have a '21 ZL1 which is similar suspension wise to the SS 1LE, with slight chassis/suspension tuning updates due to the fact there's a supercharger and a lot more power instead of an NA engine. I came from a 2018 Mustang GT PP1 w/ MagneRide, so needless to say, my GT was much better handling than a 2015 GT. Now, the SS 1LE doesn't have the 650 hp LT4 like the ZL1, but it has similar handling and suspension to the ZL1, so I think I'm qualified to compare the two. FWIW, I contemplated keeping the GT after I took delivery of my ZL1, but sold it a few weeks later when I realized there was never a situation where I would choose to drive the GT over my ZL1. Let me preface this by saying I realize the ZL1 is in a higher performance class than a regular SS or GT, however, since you asked about the SS 1LE, and the ZL1 suspension being very similar, I think the comparison stands.

That said, my ZL1, and similarly the 6th gen SS 1LE, is a much better handling car than my GT with PP1 and MagneRide. Considering the GT w/ PP1 and MagneRide is superior to the regular GT PP1, there will be no question the SS 1LE will feel light years better than your 2015 GT. The chassis is tighter, steering is better, better weight distribution, less body roll, better suspension damping, etc. The seating position is lower and feels more sports car like compared to the Mustang. When I drove my GT after my ZL1 it felt like a regular car at first, in comparison. Here's a small example highlighting the difference in chassis: there's quite an angled ~18" long curb to get onto my driveway. The GT, despite it being new when I got it, rocked back and forth 3 times before settling when backing out of the driveway at an angle at a very slow speed each time a tire went down the "ramp". My ZL1 doesn't rock when backing out at the same angle and speed - it simply drops down with the curb and settles nearly immediately. There's a very slight rebound in the suspension, but the difference is night and day. I believe that tightness translates to how tight the car feels while driving compared to my GT.

The SS 1LE is ~75 lbs lighter than a similarly equipped GT PP1, despite the Camaro having a 3 gal larger fuel tank and all the coolers necessary for running it hard. To put it in comparison the 650 hp M6 ZL1 weighs 3,904 lbs (with 19 gal of fuel), while a 480 hp Mach 1 M6 weighs 3,830-3,844 lbs (with 16 gal of fuel). Only about 60-70 lbs separating a supercharged ZL1 from a naturally aspirated Mach 1. And the ZL1 has heated/cooled fully electric Recaros. The Camaro also has a superior weight distribution when compared trim for trim. My ZL1 with a supercharger is 54/46 front/rear, which is equal to a regular Mustang GT and the Mach 1. A Shelby GT500 is 56/44, for comparison.

SS 1LE (and ZL1) comes w/ 20" forged aluminum wheels and awesome Goodyear Eagle F1 supercar tires. Not even a GT500 comes w/ forged wheels (they are "flow formed" on the base GT500). The forged 20x10 front and 20x11 rear SS 1LE wheels are about 3 lbs lighter and stronger than the smaller cast aluminum GT PP1 wheels, which weigh about 33 lbs, despite being only 19x9 and 19x9.5 (rear).

Interior wise, the designs are very different, but my GT Premium and my ZL1 were similar in quality. I think the ZL1 edges my GT Premium because the ZL1 has a bunch of Alcantara everywhere (which the SS 1LE doesn't get) which has a premium feel to it. I prefer the design of the ZL1 interior over the GT Premium as well - the ZL1 interior feels more like a sports car compared to the Mustang.

Let's look at the cons of the Camaro: outward visibility is definitely worse than the Mustang. But mostly it's something you get used to. I'm used to it now after 3 months of ownership. I also adjust my side mirrors out far enough so I don't have to look over my shoulders, so there is no "blind spot" for me, per se in the car. Ingress/egress is slightly worse in the Camaro, due to the fact that my ZL1 has wider side skirt, Recaros, and 1" longer doors than the Mustang. I didn't use the seat exit feature (where it automatically moves back upon door opening) on the Mustang, but I do on the Camaro. And the last thing - the trunk: It's a smaller trunk with a smaller trunk opening. I don't carry large items in my trunk, so it's been a non-issue for me. It also has a smaller center console, FWIW.

I think if you drove your 2015 GT back to back with an SS 1LE you'd feel like you took a huge leap forward in overall performance. Plus, aside from the handling and chassis prowess, the 6th gen SS 1LE is also quicker than a 15-17 GT by about 1/2 sec. in the 1/4 mile.
Thank you for all the lengthy replies. My driveway to my garage is a tight left turn over a drainage ditch so my car also rocks while the tire finds footing. Very interesting comparison

I'm not too worried about back seats and passengers. Main thing is fun car, reliable, manual tranny, road trip worthy, has enough tech to have android auto, can take it to some track events and not blow an engine in stock form.

I wish I could afford a zl1 but for now an SS 1LE is in my sights. Sounds like I should check out a newer GT if the tranny etc are a little different.
Sponsored