Sponsored

Anybody buying this media fueled COVID-19 bull schitt?

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Very early on I thought there was a lot of media hype blowing the virus out of proportion just to sell ad space. As it quickly spread and got got worse I realized that this virus is way different than the flu and we need to take quick and more invasive action to try to contain it.

Anyone still going on about how this is all fake new and it's no worse than the flu really needs to pull their head out of their a$$.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Very early on I thought there was a lot of media hype blowing the virus out of proportion just to sell ad space. As it quickly spread and got got worse I realized that this virus is way different than the flu and we need to take quick and more invasive action to try to contain it.

Anyone still going on about how this is all fake new and it's no worse than the flu really needs to pull their head out of their a$$.
Yup. States (countries for that matter) are on lockdown. Sports seasons are delayed / cancelled. Auto Shows have been delayed or cancelled. The Olympics are one smart decision from being delayed at least a year. Oh, and people are dying. The "media" could only dream that it had that kind of power.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford

Agreed. We are starting to shut down the beaches and parks around here because people still think it's a joke, while the rest of us are taking it seriously and staying home. The state and local government is going to be worn thin, and they're just going to start handing out fines on the spot to curb the stupidity.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
100% agree on taking this seriously, I mean, we aren't even "in it" yet. But I also 100% agree that other things favoring the opportunistic asshats "running" things is also afoot. It's a misdirection wet dream. I bet when this is all done there will be some crazy shifts in politics and freedoms justified by the need to get through this. Being as detached from things as I am though, my words mean less than nothing so there's that. If a barred door lockdown happens, curious how they'll do us in hotels. The window to get home is closing fast and as I've stated, it's safer for me and mine if I stay away. Was just talking to a co worker about how we are super over this thing yet we're only at the very beginning of it. Gotta strap in and get ready for a new normal.

B0N35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963-1/2 Falcon HT
...because people still think it's a joke...
The largest excuse I've heard is "but the flu is MUCH worse and nobody cares about that". I hate that people use ultimatums that effectively boil down to, "I won't believe that this is a problem until it's as bad as the flu." At that point, when we have both, we'll all be f'kd.

I really need to stop reading this thread for my own sanity.

Sponsored

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I just checked the WorldoMeter and deaths in USA are at 1.2% whereas Italy is close to 10% mainly because of the older population and close proximity living like in big cities.

New York has .7% deaths and Texas has .9%. Fairly low. It all depends on where you live.

B0N35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963-1/2 Falcon HT
I just checked the WorldoMeter and deaths in USA are at 1.2%
1.2% assumes all current mild conditions (~40k) fully recover. If you're quoting worldometer, it's at least worth mentioning the US death rate for "closed cases"... 504 deaths vs 187 recovered, or 70% death rate in the first 3 weeks. I get that many people had CV and never knew it, but those numbers are staggering, especially when you look at total cases per 1M people. We have 2.5X as many total cases by population density vs China. Who, by the way, has all but stopped the spread with only 5% of their total cases in the last month (that being said, their number of critical cases is still 34%). Hopefully we get to that point soon.

I know data says anything you want it to, and my only point is to not look at the small number and say 'don't worry, be happy', but I'm generally a pessimist anyway, so...

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
My province is shutting down all non-essential businesses starting tomorrow at midnight for 2 weeks. That's a bold step but I agree with it. Now if we can just get all of the idiots out of the parks etc. it just might work.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Greater Kansas City area (both side of the state line) is being shut at midnight except for essential business for 30 days. We're planning on closing up except for emergency situations and to assist on-going construction projects that aren't shutting down. My wife, how works for a local city in public housing, has been reclassified as essential, and will have to continue to work.

30 days is a long time. Good thing liquor stores were deemed essential business.

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
1.2% assumes all current mild conditions (~40k) fully recover. If you're quoting worldometer, it's at least worth mentioning the US death rate for "closed cases"... 504 deaths vs 187 recovered, or 70% death rate in the first 3 weeks. I get that many people had CV and never knew it, but those numbers are staggering, especially when you look at total cases per 1M people. We have 2.5X as many total cases by population density vs China. Who, by the way, has all but stopped the spread with only 5% of their total cases in the last month (that being said, their number of critical cases is still 34%). Hopefully we get to that point soon.

I know data says anything you want it to, and my only point is to not look at the small number and say 'don't worry, be happy', but I'm generally a pessimist anyway, so...
Well, you have to look at all the cases of infection to deaths. Just like any disease. How many people die of something that get infected.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Yes, you can make data say whatever you want but a cursory glance at China’s curve shows exactly what happened when the government got serious about it. On the previous trajectory, deaths would’ve been astronomical.
And that, is the entire point.

The paradox of contingency:
You’ll never know if you over-reacted but it will be abundantly obvious when you didn’t do enough.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Update to top ten states with covid-19 cases, New York now has over half the 44,000 cases so far reported in the USA
Screenshot (1073).png

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
this feels like a nightmare that i cant wake up from. Anything i touch i feel like i have the virus and need to immediately wash my damn hands.
Sponsored