Sponsored

Anybody bored with their car?

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I very much enjoy my car, but I miss having a fun smaller, lighter, corner tosser. Thinking of a Civic Si, Integra Type-S or a Gold R for my next ride.
I had an RSX type S before the Mustang. Loved the Mustang but agonized over supercharging or trading for a new 19 FiST and building it. Went with the SC and glad I did but I would have had a lot more fun on every drive through suburbia in the FiST.

Just pick up a used Miata or FiST as a spare if you can swing it.
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Works for me too.

If people are getting bored with a Coyote and willing to make some sacrifices they should consider FI. Whole different ball game.
For some of us a sport car is much more than straight line acceleration and the driving pleasure come from a precise turn in, perfect apex and lateral G forces
All of it being almost impossible to safely do on public roads due to the speed required to achieve it
There are no right or wrong, it all depends on what float your boat

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
For some of us a sport car is much more than straight line acceleration and the driving pleasure come from a precise turn in, perfect apex and lateral G forces
All of it being almost impossible to safely do on public roads due to the speed required to achieve it
There are no right or wrong, it all depends on what float your boat
I completely agree. For me, if I wanted to have fun with handling I’d have picked up the FiST…super fun at low speeds. Good handling Mustangs are great fun I’m sure, but they need lots of speed to get into the handling grin zone vs a Miata or fist or something light like those.

For me power won out, and I made no concessions ($) to handling so my base model handles like a pig, esp with the sc and big air-to-water intercooler system up front. But man, tapping into that power once in a while, even briefly, does the trick for me. Understood it won’t for everyone.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I've owned my 2021 Mach 1 for about six weeks. I very much like the car, and living in the UK the car definitely gets a lot of attention from admirers. My question is for anyone that owns a performance car (any make) in a dense urban area. For me, it takes at least 20-25 minutes to get to a road with 70 mph speed limit and no average speed cameras (for miles). Then maybe another 5-10 minutes to get to quieter roads which allow "spirited" driving. So to have some fun I'm looking at 45-50 mins round trip of either city driving or driving in average speed cameras for miles. Admittedly, I have a manual so that adds to the annoyance of city driving, although to be honest, the manual in the city doesn't bother me much...it's just generally poking along in traffic or at 40 mph under average speed cameras that drives me crazy. I'm fortunate that my schedule allows me to go for fun drives in the middle of the day during the week, which is a luxury. I've admired nice sports cars for a very long time, but now that I finally bought one, I'm not really enjoying it given my location. I'm wondering if I should keep it or sell it. Anybody else in urban areas think similarly? Thanks.
So reading through your responses I've gathered that the purpose of this vehicle is a fun weekend toy, and you are just driving yourself around, correct?

If you still aren't jazzed about it by the end of the summer, consider selling it, since there is a good chance you can recoup most or all of your cost. And then ponder this suggestion-

Buy a ND MX-5 Miata. It's a superb little car, that is best enjoyed at legal road speeds, i.e. in dense urban areas, although obviously it is still good in the twisties. If you haven't ever driven one, they blow almost everything shy of a $60k+ vehicle out of the water in terms of handling dynamics and fun factor, and have an excellent manual gearbox. The fact that they are all convertibles is just a bonus for when you feel like taking the top down. MSRP in the US on these is like $29k for the soft top Club trim, so you can feel good about owning a 2nd/3rd vehicle without worrying about having too much tied up in it financially.

I currently own a 2016 MX-5 as my DD and plan on selling it later this month when my Mach shows up, but that's only because the market is so inflated I figure I can buy one back a few years down the line for less. I'm only switching to the Mach because I really do need the rear seats for my kid(s). The MX-5 is hands down the best engineered car I have ever driven, with just an amazing amount of thought put into the design. I will miss it.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
All very good questions. I bought it because I never "treat" myself with anything really nice for myself. I've always admired nice sports cars since I was a young boy, so this was a present to myself. My plan was to take the car out during the week, or very early Sunday mornings, and go for a 60-90 minute fun drive. Obviously, I knew the distances beforehand, but I wanted to try it out. I chose the Mach 1 mainly because I wanted the Tremec 6-speed and I like the idea that there's only a few hundred Mach 1's in the UK.
that's very close to my thinking and reasoning. I was looking to get a mach1 initially, but here in Canada I couldn't find a dealer that would order one for me and few available ones were ridiculously priced (20k CAD over fully loaded GT premium), so I went with well loaded GT. I told myself that I will not be tracking it anyways, so it was spec'd as a nice GT car. I did a bunch of 1-2 hour drives on back roads and it was great experience for the first 6 weeks, but then it kinda got too casual. mid-July I was on my way to the track. by end of august it was supercharged, now I have bunch of suspension goodies on the way. so much has changed since half a year ago in my plans, but every time I have more and more fun with it. great part about mustangs is that all upgrades are cheap (compared to fast euro cars) and car is a great canvas for whatever you want to customize it for. I still love to just cruise in it, just did a 1000 mile trip recently with my wife and it was amazing trip.
Also, you don't really need to hammer it on a track to have fun. if you want to compete or chasing lap records, that's another case but these cars have such a great power band even stock, that basically all you need is set of wheels and brakes service. plus, Mach's already have all the necessary cooling and other upgrades to be very durable for HPDE.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
The UK has LOADS of speed cameras that issue tickets, and the average speed cameras are the worst. They take your picture and then 5 miles later take your picture and calculate your average speed. So you cannot just slow down at one point and then speed up again. It's literally miles and miles of average speed limitations.
I wonder how it could have happened to install 2 cameras to get the average speed for ticketing, must have been one hell of a car driver hating a-hole to make such laws a reality.

Works for me too.

If people are getting bored with a Coyote and willing to make some sacrifices they should consider FI. Whole different ball game.
yeah but consider that the ball game will be won by their wicked evil speeding cameras even easier.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Lots of people mod their exhaust in the UK, so it's definitely available. It's not that I think I bought the wrong car, I think I'd feel the same even if I bought a Bugatti. It's that feeling of "what am I going to do with this?"
I will say that "at times" it can feel like TOO much car. Difficult to explain in words, but hopefully someone may understand what I mean. There are times I actually think I'd like the new Subaru BRZ because its so nimble and tossable. That looks like fun. The Mustang at times, feels like a howitzer at a dance class.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Why did you buy it in the first place? What were you planning to do with it initially? And why did you chose Mach1 over a nicely spec'd and much lower cost GT if you never planned to take it to the track?
Id sell if you aren’t enjoying it. You’ll make more money from selling now then you will years down the line
If you still aren't jazzed about it by the end of the summer, consider selling it, since there is a good chance you can recoup most or all of your cost.
The above hint at a dilemma that I suspect the OP may get faced with ...

Due to the chip shortages and the crazy second hand car values, I suspect (based on wording in another post) that the OP may have paid equivalent of your ADM and that's on top of an already 'substantial' difference between a UK GT and UK Mach (base v base = ÂŁ11,000 / $15,000 difference).

Once supply of new UK GT's / UK Mach's is easy again and the used car bubble pop's, it's not going to be pretty ... :frown:

In my opinion, if the OP has doubts and thinks he may jump ship, the sooner the better ... (unless he changes his mind completely and decides to be in the 'long term' ownership boat) :like:

WD :like:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I wonder how it could have happened to install 2 cameras to get the average speed for ticketing, must have been one hell of a car driver hating a-hole to make such laws a reality.
No it is the bureaucrats wanting more money. Before they got outlawed there was a town in Ohio that reduced the speed limit downtown to 25, and set up speed cameras that triggered at 26 Mph.

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Think of it this way: you may have your hands on one of fords last true v8 cars. If you can afford it and like it enough, id say keep it and hang on to it forever. Especially the mach 1 which may only be a two year run.
This.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I never get tired of the GT, and it will be a bittersweet day when I trade it in on a the new Z06. If I have room I will keep it just so I can row through the gears every now and then.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I absolutely love my manual, city or country. Speed cameras on the other hand…? Unreal. Idk how anyone puts up with them. Protests every day! Does the queen allow protests?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I absolutely love my manual, city or country. Speed cameras on the other hand…? Unreal. Idk how anyone puts up with them. Protests every day! Does the queen allow protests?
The only time I'm not fond of a manual is when I'm leaving a stop light. Too slow compared to the instant transfer of power the auto gives.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
The only time I'm not fond of a manual is when I'm leaving a stop light. Too slow compared to the instant transfer of power the auto gives.
You could say the same thing about an electric car, still wouldn’t be caught dead in one…
Sponsored