Any wrx to mustang converts?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

the issue with upgrading the brz from the factory is i believe they have a deal with toyota for using the same platform. if they did put a turbo in the brz the frs wouldnt sell a single unit haha but they sure would sell a lot of brz's
No need to speculate. Subaru answered this very question last year saying the BRX will never get a turbo. Here's a little excerpt from the article.

While he didn’t give us a definitive "no," his overall responses made it crystal clear an OEM turbo kit will never happen. How come? A few reasons, mainly that a turbo BRZ will “become a different car” altogether. Adding a turbo, according to Hill, "will add weight and price… (and that) it was never intended to be a straight-line car," like the Mustang and Camaro. Hill added that we need to think of the BRZ from a practical standpoint regarding its "Boxer" four engine. A turbo, at least the way Subaru would do it, simply "doesn’t fit and packaging it in there would be a pretty big undertaking.
Sponsored

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
I had an '04 and '15 WRX before the S550. My '15 was a love hate relationship. It was a blast to drive but the build quality is shit. It's sad really that it had more rattles than my 2015 S550. The factory tuning as said earlier was horrible. It was bad enough that Subaru released a ECU flash to fix the issues due to people blowing stock engines. Dealership support was utterly useless in my area too, so getting them to do the update was like pulling teeth. They wouldn't do it unless you car threw cel codes.

Unless you need the AWD, extra interior space, and don't mind the serious lack of resale value, the S550 is a much better car driving wise. I have ZERO regrets getting the S550. Unless your a Suby person they are harder to spot on the road due to looking like every other car now. Everyone notices the S550 car person or not.

The 2018+ Sti is supposed to have a bump in power, but Subaru keeps adding stuff into the car which has made it much heavier than previous versions. The original '04 Sti was the last bad ass car they ever made IMO.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
So only the BRZ/FRS FA20 is DI/PI? Ok, that's even worse. I really dont understand Subaru's approach to their performance cars lately. Put a turbo on the BRZ, add PI to WRX and come up with something FA based for the STI already. This is mostly parts-bin engineering.
Yup.

I haven't been keeping up with the community much anymore but I believe one of the companies has come out, or is coming out with TGV deletes that have injectors in them as well for PI. That's why you still don't see any high horse powered WRX. Everyone was topping out on the fueling. With PI, that should correct that issue.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing for me is the general community of Subaru owners. I have owned a lot of cars, from different makes, models and genres. The Subaru community is probably the worst I have interacted with. Mind you, there are some I do get along with, but for the most part I have never met a more elitiest group. There is no thinking outside the box, they spout the same rhetoric day after day, year after year. If it isn't made by 2 or 3 aftermarket companies it is "junk" etc. Shit got real old, real fast. I can honestly say I am embarassed to be associated with them. I know this may seem petty to some, but to me as a person that enjoys reading forums and interacting with fellow enthusiasts it became a real drag.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Another thing for me is the general community of Subaru owners. I have owned a lot of cars, from different makes, models and genres. The Subaru community is probably the worst I have interacted with. Mind you, there are some I do get along with, but for the most part I have never met a more elitiest group. There is no thinking outside the box, they spout the same rhetoric day after day, year after year. If it isn't made by 2 or 3 aftermarket companies it is "junk" etc. Shit got real old, real fast. I can honestly say I am embarassed to be associated with them. I know this may seem petty to some, but to me as a person that enjoys reading forums and interacting with fellow enthusiasts it became a real drag.
Online, yes. NASIOC is a joke.

Local groups, no. I still hang out with my Subaru people over Mustang clubs because they typical tend to be more humble and don't talk a lot of shit. Some of the nicest people, and very passionate as well. Of course you will always have a few. Plus they actually like driving on roads that have bends. But you have some hard core hard parkers too that don't want to put any mileage on their cars. For Subarus I think everyone just worries about spinning a bearing, bending a rod or ringland issues, LOL. My buddies opened a Subaru specialty shop last year and have went HUGE. They just opened up a 10,000 sqft shop the other month. ALWAYS putting in new engines, or tearing them down.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I never experienced that with Subaru owners. I do notice that with track focused Mustang owners (typically, for now, advanced S197 drivers).

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
The 2018+ Sti is supposed to have a bump in power, but Subaru keeps adding stuff into the car which has made it much heavier than previous versions. The original '04 Sti was the last bad ass car they ever made IMO.
No bump in power for the 2018 STI/WRX. Confirmed. They will get 6 pot Brembo's, Recaro's, and an electronically controlled diff.

I agree the Subaru crowd is a pretty laid back crowd overall, but there are the younger generation and the hardparkers that give them a bad rep(vape anyone?)

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys

Local groups, no. I still hang out with my Subaru people over Mustang clubs because they typical tend to be more humble and don't talk a lot of shit. Some of the nicest people, and very passionate as well. Of course you will always have a few. Plus they actually like driving on roads that have bends. But you have some hard core hard parkers too that don't want to put any mileage on their cars. For Subarus I think everyone just worries about spinning a bearing, bending a rod or ringland issues, LOL. My buddies opened a Subaru specialty shop last year and have went HUGE. They just opened up a 10,000 sqft shop the other month. ALWAYS putting in new engines, or tearing them down.
Yes, this is crazy. There has been a recent explosion in the Subaru aftermarket. For example, IAG ships about 5 built shortblocks per day. They have to be close to 1k blocks delivered at this point. They also distribute the 1500hp Willall billet block. What a beautiful piece. I think it has a lot to do with good shops and tuners really pushing the platform forward and learning what it takes to make big reliable hp.
As far as the community goes, I'm 40yrs old and I'ver personally never bumped into the stereotypical vape bro's. I work in Shelby/Cobra/musclecar world and my STI is just sort of my personal project that I do on my own, and its all about building a very well rounded car that can I drive hard at Road America or on gravel roads in the north woods.
I'm really looking forward to getting a S550 GT (prob a used 18 in a few years) but right now I have too many projects. Besides the STI I am working on a coyote powered all-aluminum bodied fastback NB miata. Think 2500lb 500+hp jag f-type meets GT3 RS. That project got waaay out of hand and I'm not sure when it will ever be done.

OP
OP

Alaskan9974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 gt premium & '17 gt350
I checked with my dealer. The one in state that has the focus RS is the one trying to sell a base gt350 for 90k. They offered me an rs at a low price of only 60k. No thanks. Guess I'll stick with the gt for another year. Studded tires I have, will last another winter or two easily.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase

You must have better local groups than me then, lol. I was involved in the DSM/EVO community a good bit around 10 years ago and the mentality of those owners was much more hands on, do it yourself compared to what I have experienced both now and back then in the Subaru community. I can totally see a Subaru shop being a great investment, as most Subaru owners seem to be more prone to paying a shop to do work as opposed to themselves (again, in my experiences). Having a DSM you basically had to be rich or be able to turn a wrench if you wanted it to run lol.

One of the biggest things I noticed was the tuning issue. Almost nobody tunes their own Subaru, whereas in the DSM/EVO world that was a huge group of individuals (myself included). Then you aren't even allowed to mention a tuner unless it is a positive review. Negative reviews are a no no and even then half the people blame it on the user as opposed to the tuner desensitizing the knock sensor or zeroing out the WGDC temp compensation and popping a motor when winter comes (yes, I have seen this first hand from one of so called "best" e-tuners).

Ok, enough ranting from me lol. I do agree though there are some cool peoples and some db's in all communities. Unfortunately for me, locally most subaru guys fall into the later category as opposed to the former.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighting Blue Mustang GTPP Premium
I guess I can comment on this. I've owned many Mustangs and BMW's 335's but I've also owned a 11 Mitsubishi EVO. Before I got my EVO, I test drove and researched the heck out of the WRX/STI. In the end the EVO won out. As some have mentioned the stock tune on the Subbie was downright pathetic. People were having ringland band failures left an right. The car IMO understeered like a pig. Also I didn't really like the Subbie community they had sort of an elitist attitude. I remember getting flipped off in my EVO by guys in STI's lol childish. Personally you couldn't lay me to buy one. The engine is outdated. One good thing about them is the resale value.

Last edited:

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase

You must have a really jerk group down there. Locals around me were always fairly awesome. Really welcoming and giving out great advice. I agree that Nasioc is a steaming pile of elitist bs but there is alot of good info there. Also very hands on group, heck about 3 weeks in I got to help with a header/WG install on a bugeye. Had a cookout afterwords even. A week later about 40 of us cruised skyline drive and cooked out. Good times

I have yet to meet any of the S550 guys around here and its been 2 months or so now.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
... The Subaru community is probably the worst I have interacted with ...
Your comment rings true.

Just the other day I had to block a ranting former wrx owner on this forum.

Now I'm sure there are some decent one's out there, so I won't throw all of them in the same bag just because of one person's immature behavior.

It's life, what are you gonna do ...

SupremeFocus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 10R80
I went from a 2015 wrx stage 2 to a 2016 golf r to now my 17 gt with pp. so far I have no regrets
Sponsored