Sponsored

Any wrx to mustang converts?

Alaskan9974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 gt premium & '17 gt350
Thinking to sell my 2015 for a wrx sti or something with AWD so I can have a little more fun in the winter. It's got studded tires all around but I still miss 4wd.

Only thing is, for as fast as they say those cars are on the subaru forums, the 2017 wrx I tried felt like a dog.

My f150 felt like it pulled harder. I'm sure the STI is better but haven't tried one in years. Anyone on here switch from that one that can compare?
Sponsored

TOP KEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Oxford White
I switched from a Stage 2 Mk 7 GTI which I get is not AWD but it was putting down similar power to the STI. Let me just say a turbo 4 will never match the immediacy and low end torque of the 5.0, especially dragging around a heavy AWD system. At least with the VW you get a halfway decent interior.

If it were my money I would just get some nice snow tires for your Mustang and be happy. My Michelin Xi3 tires have been great here in Minnesota.

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
I can't remember if Naji [MENTION=23131]T-S550-X[/MENTION] had the STi, but he traded a 2015(?) WRX for his S550.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
i wouldnt buy an sti till they update that piece of junk ej motor, the wrx is def a better car unless you are looking for a lot of power(sti trans can handle, neither motor will)

that being said my 12 wrx made 360/390 on e85 and was a blast to drive when i lived in ny and having a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires car was pretty much unstoppable in the snow

i thought my wrx was fast, then i got the mustang..lol

Sponsored

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Thinking to sell my 2015 for a wrx sti or something with AWD so I can have a little more fun in the winter. It's got studded tires all around but I still miss 4wd.

Only thing is, for as fast as they say those cars are on the subaru forums, the 2017 wrx I tried felt like a dog.

My f150 felt like it pulled harder. I'm sure the STI is better but haven't tried one in years. Anyone on here switch from that one that can compare?
I had:
- 2002 wrx hatch, stage 2+
- 2005 Outback XT stage 2+
- 2010 wrx STi hatch stage 2+

I think (in stock form) the wrx & sti have gotten slower since ~2009 on. They keep adding weight to the car but never upping the power. Sti's still have the SAME motor & power as the first US sti in 2004. If you're driving a 5.0 currently these Subies are gonna feel SLOW.

Still very fun in the snow, I still like them, and you know you can unleash a very fast wrx with intake+downpipe+exhaust+tune. I think my mustang is more fun than any of those turbo subies I owned and better creature comforts too.... still I kinda miss my 2010 sti some days.

Sinister15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2015 Shadow Black GT
ahhhh the good old days. I can tell you this, these two cars just don't belong in the same sentence. I've owned both mustangs and subaru's. I've had an 06 WRX, 09 STI (fully built), 07 GT500, 92 Notchback GT and now my 15 GT.

Each car has their own flavor, the Subaru's are snappy and surprising where the Mustangs are rather ruthless and unpredictable. Two completely cars with completely different attitudes, not comparable one bit.

This 2015 Mustang is the closest out all of cars i've owned to being a happy medium of what I liked best of both worlds, and that is something i've yet to cross across.

Bottom line OP, if you like all of the turbo noises and the lag (it is fun) keep the WRX. But if you're looking for a little more unrefined and raw..come over to the mustang side. Neither are for everyone.

Budoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer
Saw in your profile that you have a GT350 as well. Sell the GT and get a Focus RS :)

OP
OP

Alaskan9974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 gt premium & '17 gt350
Saw in your profile that you have a GT350 as well. Sell the GT and get a Focus RS :)
I tried to, no dealer near me had one. Never thought I'd be remotely interested in a focus. Only time I have sat in one was as a rental, but the RS is actually something I'd consider buying.

My 5.0 has studded tires and does surprisingly well in the winter. I've thought about a roushcharger and running square 275's come summer, if only they made factory chargers with a manual, I'd be all over that.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
If you are looking for a newer car. Go with a stage 2 golf r.
[ame]

If you are looking for AWD fun.....I have a fresh built near 700awhp, blue title 04 sti you may be interested in.:D

Sponsored

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Power and looks is what made my decision. You get a lot more car for the money with a Mustang. The STI would have needed an absolute minimum of 370-380hp for it to have even begun to sway me towards it over the 435hp Mustang and looks will never match. I am happy with my decision, I wouldn't switch if I were you, unless other circumstances were a factor, like limited to one car and need a back seat for say kids or something.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have a 2016 WRX, and will be trading for a S550 in the next couple of months. Here are some of my thoughts on the 15+ WRX, if interested.

First off the stock tune is flat out terrible. Argueably the worst OEM tune I have driven. Simply adding an Accessport and a stage 1 tune changes the car in a good way. I would consider it night and day difference and mandatory. Not only do you get more hp/tq, but a much better powerband, throttle response is better and no more rev hang. These cars will make decent power with simple upgrades. The bad side is the rods are weak. Once you start getting close to the 350wtq range they aren't happy. My other gripes with the car is the transmission feels sloppy, the open diffs and tq vectoring don't feel as good as the STI and the build quality is suspect (my car has more rattles at 10k miles then most cars had at 100k). Gas mileage is good for an AWD, I get 23-26 city and 27-30 highway. Resale value is also good (Subie fanboys will pay outrageous money for used ones).

Like others said, the STI still uses the ancient EJ which has been around for 15 years or so. I never cared much for that motor to begin with, hence not buying an STI. If Subaru would simply put a FA20DIT with stronger rods and a slightly bigger turbo in front of the STI drivetrain they would have a solid winner. Unfortunately Subaru refuses to do so.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit

I've owned 3 STI's, and have test driven WRX's, including the newest one. The WRX is not even close to the STI in terms of confidence and ability stock vs stock.

The STI on a back road will hang with the S550, it's not a straight line terror sort of car. The AWD will give you amazing confidence, and with a set of dedicated snow tires, you'll be practically unstoppable in Alaska.

They're priced similarly, but perform very different from each other. It really boils down to what you want the car to do.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Honestly, I think the WRX and STi are on the decline. Subaru needs Mitsubishi just like Ford needs Chevy to make their products better. Since the evolution ended production in 2015, Subaru's closest competitor is no longer competitive because they aren't making a successor to the evolution. I see VW, Hyundai, and Ford trying to take over that market.

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
It's apples to oranges.

The Subaru WRX is the kind of car you choose if you only want to have 1 car that does everything pretty well. It's quick for what it is, it's fun, it's fuel efficient, it's practical (the 2015+ seats four adults easily), it's good in all seasons.

The Mustang on the other hand is a car you buy as a second car, that will be driven in good weather and sacrifices usability for more fun.
Sponsored