Sponsored

Any way to reduce or lower the exhaust sound of a cold start?

white5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I have a corsa xtreme exhaust on my 16 GT.. No regrets lol I love the sound

My only problem is that I live in apartments where people are starting to complain.

I was wondering if anyone has a temporary or quick fix to reduce the cold start exhaust sound. Once the idling drops, its not a problem. Its just that initial cold start.

Has anyone tried something where they can reduce the sound? Some plug in type metal cones, or something similar? I dont want to take the exhaust off. Just need to bring the sound down until the idling drops.

Thanks
Sponsored

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
I had Bassani exhaust on my 01 that came with Baffles you could slide in and out. I suppose you could have some made at a muffler shop? They reduced the sound quite a bit.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That's exactly what this thread is about, also on the first page right now.

OP
OP

white5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Thanks man! that device Rambl3r is using looks sick.. will follow that post

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
If you do with a Lund tune they (and presumably other tuners) can turn off "cold start" so that when the car starts it will just go right to idle speed. This is the best solution.

Sponsored

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I have a similar issue with noise. I usually put it into second and start it and immediately ease off the clutch and kind of idle out of my neighborhood never going above 1.5k as I go through the gears. Haven't had any complaints and have been told it's fairly quiet (and I have catless longtubes).

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If you do with a Lund tune they (and presumably other tuners) can turn off "cold start" so that when the car starts it will just go right to idle speed. This is the best solution.
He does this by default now. My tune came that way and I love it. Count to 3 and the loudness is pretty much gone.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Put the STOCK mufflers back on the car like Ford intended it to be,there your problem is solved.:headbonk:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Offer your neighbors noise canceling headphones... So they complain, can anyone actually do anything about it from a legal perspective?

Like some motorcycles don’t break the sound barrier with their loud ass pipes. Funny how anytime it’s a performance car, there’s folks who will bitch about the exhaust - but a bike pulls in or away that can be the sound and roar of the pits of hell, no one says anything or “complains”... LMAO

Are there annoying barking dogs?

Does the trash truck make noise when it comes to collect the neighborhood or complex trash?

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
You could put the mufflers back on and run electric cutouts for when you want it loud.

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Buys Corse xtreme, complains about noise. Is that it in a nutshell?
No. That exhaust, and any other for that matter, will behave the same way on cold start and quiet-down afterwards.

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
With the auto tranny, the sooner you put the car into DRIVE the lower the volume will be. Better than waiting for entire cold start/fast idle cycle to end.

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
With the auto tranny, the sooner you put the car into DRIVE the lower the volume will be. Better than waiting for entire cold start/fast idle cycle to end.
True. I wish my inconsiderate neighbor in the STi with up and down pipes would just put it in 2nd and ease out of neighborhood rather than warming-up.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
My car is hella loud as well... Luckily my neighbors don't care. However, someone down the street complained on me and cop said don't worry about it :lol:

My car is loud on cold starts but then tames down after a couple seconds. I can confirm Lund can tame the cold start as well.
Sponsored