Any way to lessen the force needed to open the hood? Thx

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
So do you think the Steeda lever is actually not preventing anything? What did you have to remove to install it?

And finally, as I stated in my first post, I had to adjust my hood higher, since it was below the front painted part... but that does NOT do anything to the force needed to open it, since you adjust the whole latch mechanism. And like you said, what's exerting the force on the hood rod is the super strong spring in the latch mechanism, so no matter how much you adjust it, it'd require exactly the same force to open. Just look at it, and you'll understand. Try to push that sucker down :).
Yeah I agree, it needs a softer spring. I haven't had a close look to see even if it could be swapped out with a softer one.

The Steeda lever mounts onto the original plastic boss so that part is still the weakest link. To change out the lever you just remove the centre plastic cap and squeeze in two plastic wings and pull it off, the Steeda replacement just pushes back on but you cant re-install the centre plastic cap.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I agree, it needs a softer spring. I haven't had a close look to see even if it could be swapped out with a softer one.

The Steeda lever mounts onto the original plastic boss so that part is still the weakest link. To change out the lever you just remove the centre plastic cap and squeeze in two plastic wings and pull it off, the Steeda replacement just pushes back on but you cant re-install the centre plastic cap.
I was able to reuse the plastic center cap with the Steeda lever. It's a tight fit.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
I was able to reuse the plastic center cap with the Steeda lever. It's a tight fit.
I left it off as I got the red Steeda lever and I didn't want it to look odd with a black centre plastic cap.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Just my opinion. You are overthinking this problem and want to throw money at it to eliminate the problem. I would not buy more parts that may not solve your problem. Go to a Ford dealer explain the problem and get it fixed properly while you wait.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I also find the force needed to open my Mondeo's hood a bit higher than other cars I've owned. Now you've made me curious, I wonder how the Mustang will be. Three more weeks, and I'll let you know. :)
I picked up the car today. The lever moves quite easily. It needs noticeably less force than my Mondeo and my wife's Kuga, and about the same as other cars that I've driven before them.
If I can help you with pictures or any other measurements that would allow you to figure out what's different in my car versus yours, please let me know.
Sponsored