Any way to lessen the force needed to open the hood? Thx

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
neither of my Mustang hoods latch from a drop. I have to shove (pretty hard too) on the bonnet to get to the locked position.
You must have aftermarket hood struts. There's absolutely no way a stock Mustang hood (no struts) wouldn't latch from a drop. In fact, if you just drop it from the open rod position, you'd destroy something. It's super heavy. I had to re-close mine today again, and dropped it a bit too high, and it sounded bad... and it was less than a foot.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
neither of my Mustang hoods latch from a drop. I have to shove (pretty hard too) on the bonnet to get to the locked position.
I agree with the others, something is not right with that.
Mine latches easily by dropping, even with hood struts. I just lower it until gravity overcomes the hood struts and let it drop, latches every time.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
You must have aftermarket hood struts. There's absolutely no way a stock Mustang hood (no struts) wouldn't latch from a drop. In fact, if you just drop it from the open rod position, you'd destroy something. It's super heavy. I had to re-close mine today again, and dropped it a bit too high, and it sounded bad... and it was less than a foot.
I have struts and can still drop mine shut easily. Never even thought about that.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What in the absolute fuck are we talking about here?

Is the latch under the dash too tight?

Is the safety lever under the hood too tight?

Is the OP a whimpatollah khomeini, and can't lift the hood?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What in the absolute fuck are we talking about here?
Ford's inability to do anything in a repeatable manner. How on earth did they even get ISO9000 certification?

Primarily the pull of the hood release in the cabin. Secondarily the inability of the hood to latch closed from a simple drop.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm also lost. My hood requires more force to pop than some other cars but I never thought much of it. I just yank it hard and poooom.

My sn95 was way worse. Previous owner hit a basketball hoop trying to pull into their driveway (wish I saw it). Their insurance company put the cobra hood on it but the latch was never fixed right. Required quite a bit of force to pop it and you had to slam it from at least half way up for it to close.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My hood requires more force to pop than some other cars but I never thought much of it. I just yank it hard and poooom.
Mine requires quite a bit more force than others, so just want to avoid something snapping in the future. Is it that hard to understand?:headbang:

Having said that, pulling at the lever quickly, diminishes the force needed at the lever (compared to a steady pull), to the point it doesn't feel like something is going to break, so hope it holds. If something was to break at the front, you'd need to destroy the grille, and other parts, to get to the damn latch.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Mine requires quite a bit more force than others, so just want to avoid something snapping in the future. Is it that hard to understand?:headbang:

Having said that, pulling at the lever quickly, diminishes the force needed at the lever (compared to a steady pull), to the point it doesn't feel like something is going to break, so hope it holds. If something was to break at the front, you'd need to destroy the grille, and other parts, to get to the damn latch.
You really don't know that... If I go slow I have to put my forearm into it. You also have no idea how strong you are relative to others. What's hard for you could be easy for me, and vice versa.

My point was that it's nothing compared to my old Mustang. I'll reiterate, I had to drop that hood from the open rod position to get it to close. Sometimes I could get away with maybe halfway. I did that nearly every other day (project car) for at least half a decade. Nothing broke. How fragile do you think these parts are? If anything is going to break then it's the plastic lever. Replacing that doesn't require "destroying the grille." Nor would replacing the latch, for that matter, unless you're some brute and used a pry bar to rip everything off.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You also have no idea how strong you are relative to others.
That's irrelevant man. Even a little girl could break that freaking lever. I was talking about RELATIVE TO ALL OTHER CARS I've owned. It's not normal to require that much force to pull, period. And I've owned about 3 dozen new cars, counting the ones I've bought for my wife and daughters.

And I agree the lever might break first, but if the cable broke at the latch, you cannot open it unless you destroy the grille. Take a look at it, and tell me how you'd open it differently :).

This thread went to the toilet, so I'm going to bail out of (ignore) my own thread. Keep the bickering going, if you want. Geez.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If something was to break at the front, you'd need to destroy the grille, and other parts, to get to the damn latch.
I'm not sure about that. I've had the cable snap in other cars (one of them was a Ford, too), and at the local garage they were always able to open the hood with no damage at all. They raised the car, removed the undertray and reached the latch with a rod. I can't remember whether the rod was specially shaped for this particular task, or it was just a simple stick like any other. All I know is they didn't break a sweat. It took more time to remove the undertray than to open the latch.
I doubt the Mustang is different. I wouldn't lose any sleep over this.

I also find the force needed to open my Mondeo's hood a bit higher than other cars I've owned. Now you've made me curious, I wonder how the Mustang will be. Three more weeks, and I'll let you know. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I can't believe a thread about opening the hood has reached 3 pages, lol. Just stop opening it, problem solved! You shouldn't need to be in there anyway, its reliable (kinda) lol

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I opened mine this morning and then needed a nap after doing it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona