Sponsored

Any Way to Decipher part number on shocks and struts?

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I have a Premium but not PP ecoboost with 20" wheels. I have looked at my shocks and struts and looked at the parts numbers on them. Unfortunately when I go to a Ford parts website those numbers don't correlate to the part numbers on the website. I sort of get the impresssion i have PP shocks on my car because it came with 20 wheels but still regular struts according to the parts list websites. I'm looking to possible upgrade to pp parts or maybe Ford track shocks and struts but would really like to know what I have.
Sponsored

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Not sure if this helps, but the PP wheels are 19", not 20".

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Premium but not PP ecoboost with 20" wheels. I have looked at my shocks and struts and looked at the parts numbers on them. Unfortunately when I go to a Ford parts website those numbers don't correlate to the part numbers on the website. I sort of get the impresssion i have PP shocks on my car because it came with 20 wheels but still regular struts according to the parts list websites. I'm looking to possible upgrade to pp parts or maybe Ford track shocks and struts but would really like to know what I have.
Your shocks are tuned differently than the PP shocks. There is a large-ish sticker on them that has two letters (the suffix of the part number) that distinguishes them. Unfortunately, this is the engineering/mfg part number, not the service part number that you would reorder. The PP parts are a nice upgrade from the non-PP stuff, but definitely not night and day. They are a good low-cost option for sure.

EDIT: The likelihood of you having PP shocks on your non-PP car is very, very slim, as they are one of the items that is barcode scanned down the production line. It won't let the line proceed without the right part.

Since these cars are a tad underdamped in rebound, even with PP tuning, I'd actually think about trying the 2016+ GT PP struts/shocks on your car since they're meant to control heavier springs and more mass, along with EB PP springs. This is all assuming you don't want much/any of a drop.

That or, if cost/drop isn't a problem, the FR Track Handling pack or any number of aftermarket springs (BMR, Steeda, Swift, Eibach) and Koni or Steeda adjustable dampers.

Last edited:
OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I see you bolded 2016+. I assume they are valved a little different then the 2015? Also on the one parts website the part number for the shocks for a 20" tire model was the same as the PP package but the struts were not. So confusing with so many different suspension part numbers.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Also, I bought the car used and it has blue springs that are lower and I can tell have a progressive wind. I assume they are Steeda.
Sponsored