Sponsored

Any tips or pics of how to get a floor jack under this car?

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I'm going to be changing my first oil change at my house on a concrete pad I have a floor jack it would go under my 06 gt but not my 16 any tips appreciated, and no I'm not letting a dealer or quick lube do it for my peace of mind. I also would like to know the most secure spot to place the jack. THANKS in advance!
Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
If you plan on jacking up your car a lot I'd get some jacking rails and a low pro jack. I hate pinch welds and never really trusted them much. With the jacking rails you can get one side completely up in the air and jack from anywhere.

I got my 3 ton low pro from harbor freight for $100 and the steeds jacking rails where on sale during labor sale for $115. Both solid investments if you plan on being under the car a lot.

OP
OP
seth21w

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
If you plan on jacking up your car a lot I'd get some jacking rails and a low pro jack. I hate pinch welds and never really trusted them much. With the jacking rails you can get one side completely up in the air and jack from anywhere.

I got my 3 ton low pro from harbor freight for $100 and the steeds jacking rails where on sale during labor sale for $115. Both solid investments if you plan on being under the car a lot.
I dont plan to do any mods just regular LOF is there a more solid location to jack up front?

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I use a lowpro racing jack and can't find a spot upfront to jack from there so I just use my ramps for oil changes.
If jacking from the side you can use a pinch weld protector or even just a block of wood, there's zero need to buy jacking rails. From the rear the diff works just fine, cars have been jacked from the diff since diffs and jacks were invented 100 years ago. (disclaimer: dont put the jack under the diff cover).

Sponsored

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
I use a lowpro racing jack and can't find a spot upfront to jack from there so I just use my ramps for oil changes.
If jacking from the side you can use a pinch weld protector or even just a block of wood, there's zero need to buy jacking rails. From the rear the diff works just fine, cars have been jacked from the diff since diffs and jacks were invented 100 years ago. (disclaimer: dont put the jack under the diff cover).
^ This. I've been lifting cars from old Hyundai's to Subaru's to this from the pinch welds for many years with no issues.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Same here, since I'm lowered a little my regular jack just couldn't make it. So after a variety of swearing, . . . . loudly, I bought a lower jack and go right to the pinch welds. There is still horribly foul and abrasive language, just not as extreme.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
For oil changes, I use ramps. Its easy and fast plus helps the oil drain since the drain is in the back.

Harbor freight has a 3 ton jack that goes down to 2 7/8". If you want to jack your car up and your jack won't fit under the car, you can drive it up onto some boards to add that much more clearance.

When you change the oil the first/next time, replace the drain plug with a drain valve. That makes changing easier and much cleaner since they allow a hose to be attached, and eliminates the chance of stripping threads or not sealing, plus it lets you take samples if you want to.

OP
OP
seth21w

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
For oil changes, I use ramps. Its easy and fast plus helps the oil drain since the drain is in the back.

Harbor freight has a 3 ton jack that goes down to 2 7/8". If you want to jack your car up and your jack won't fit under the car, you can drive it up onto some boards to add that much more clearance.

When you change the oil the first/next time, replace the drain plug with a drain valve. That makes changing easier and much cleaner since they allow a hose to be attached, and eliminates the chance of stripping threads or not sealing, plus it lets you take samples if you want to.
What kind of ramps do yall use that it wont scrub the front when you pull up on them?

SlowRed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
'15 Race Red GT
^^^^^X2

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Low profile jack and regular jack stands. I use the pinch welds like I do on every other car. Had my car up on stands on the pinch welds overnight, no issues. They'll get a little beat up over time but who the hell cares its a pinch weld.

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
I just did my first oil change - jacked under the pinch-welds with a block of rubber between the jack and the car, then stands under the subframe inboard of the pinch-welds. (I had contemplated buying ramps, but glad I didn't now - the above method is simple and cheap - and I don't have to find anywhere to store the ramps!)