Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I agree failures are rare and also agree that more are likely to vent and bitch on a forum than those that are pleased or have no issues . Many owners most likely never go on a forum.
I also agree more folks beat on a Mustang than would a Porsche. I am not questioning the fact that the 3rd Gen is a good engine was only wondering if any research had been done on failures and had that broken down into categories of what failed, type of mods and driver style. Many models including Porsche when you go into the boards you can find posts that detail known weaknesses in each generation and what to expect and how to fix. To some extent, you can find that on some Corvette boards with years effected. Given that, I was wondering if anything like that existed on this forum.
Again, not a hater just seeking information..
It's good info if someone actually has compiled it.

Porsche production number are lower and they keep very close eye on their cars through the dealer computer system.

I guess Porsche gives that info out. Maybe Ford does too? The Corvette Forum guys are madmen for stats. It's like baseball over there.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I agree failures are rare and also agree that more are likely to vent and bitch on a forum than those that are pleased or have no issues . Many owners most likely never go on a forum.
I also agree more folks beat on a Mustang than would a Porsche. I am not questioning the fact that the 3rd Gen is a good engine was only wondering if any research had been done on failures and had that broken down into categories of what failed, type of mods and driver style. Many models including Porsche when you go into the boards you can find posts that detail known weaknesses in each generation and what to expect and how to fix. To some extent, you can find that on some Corvette boards with years effected. Given that, I was wondering if anything like that existed on this forum.
Again, not a hater just seeking information..
Hello; I do not see you as a hater. However, I was asking similar questions a couple years ago and got similar reactions. In fact, I joined this site when i was trying to get information to help me decide about buying a Mustang GT and an F-150. Some folks are helpful but do not know the details. Other folks seemed offended that I asked the questions. At that time i went to some Ford dealers to specifically ask about the excessive oil consumption but did not get any answers.
I contacted Ford but also could not get any answers.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
It's good info if someone actually has compiled it.

Porsche production number are lower and they keep very close eye on their cars through the dealer computer system.

I guess Porsche gives that info out. Maybe Ford does too? The Corvette Forum guys are madmen for stats. It's like baseball over there.
Hello; I do not know this for sure but suspect many of the Porsche owners were in PCA and shared information. Not clear to me how forthcomming Porsche was before the class action lawsuit. There is a sort of fix for the engines with the problematic IMS bearings.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; I do not know this for sure but suspect many of the Porsche owners were in PCA and shared information. Not clear to me how forthcomming Porsche was before the class action lawsuit. There is a sort of fix for the engines with the problematic IMS bearings.
Yes the PCA and NCRS clubs are big on data.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Jeff, Mike,
Interesting that the Porsche and Corvette guys dig deep into any issues that come up however most Ford and Mustang guys do not.. Most of Porsche data comes from folks who take an interest in keeping their cars for a good while and want to be proactive. Do not know if Porsche dealers really give out that data but certainly are not defensive about talking about it if asked. Chevy dealers like Ford do not give out data but as Mike said many Vette owners do keep details on what goes wrong with their cars and it gets shared and compiled for each generation C1-C8. Most Vette guys are not defensive about the issues as many are known and they learn to live with it if they like the car. I just found it interesting that no detailed info existed for Mustangs or any Fords and few care..
Shows that you can be an old guy and still learn something new..
Thanks for those who shared info on this thread..

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeff, Mike,
Interesting that the Porsche and Corvette guys dig deep into any issues that come up however most Ford and Mustang guys do not.. Most of Porsche data comes from folks who take an interest in keeping their cars for a good while and want to be proactive. Do not know if Porsche dealers really give out that data but certainly are not defensive about talking about it if asked. Chevy dealers like Ford do not give out data but as Mike said many Vette owners do keep details on what goes wrong with their cars and it gets shared and compiled for each generation C1-C8. Most Vette guys are not defensive about the issues as many are known and they learn to live with it if they like the car. I just found it interesting that no detailed info existed for Mustangs or any Fords and few care..
Dealers and the maker work pretty close with PCA.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
One final thought that slipped by my old mind in the last post.
I think Mike and Jeff are correct when they mentioned PCA and info sharing.
Even Panorama magazine put out by PCA as well as other non PCA sponsored Porsche publications list detailed info about each generation Porsche and what the issues were and how to address them. Every vehicle can have issues and it seems that the Porsche ownership seeks that info and gladly shares it with others. I think it would be helpful if some of the National Mustang clubs did the same.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One final thought that slipped by my old mind in the last post.
I think Mike and Jeff are correct when they mentioned PCA and info sharing.
Even Panorama magazine put out by PCA as well as other non PCA sponsored Porsche publications list detailed info about each generation Porsche and what the issues were and how to address them. Every vehicle can have issues and it seems that the Porsche ownership seeks that info and gladly shares it with others. I think it would be helpful if some of the National Mustang clubs did the same.
They might but some tend to shun the Forums that arent their own.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I think it would be helpful if some of the National Mustang clubs did the same.
This very well might be helpful. I think you should start with MCA (Mustang Club of America). If there is anything out there they would have it. You are not going to get any hard data on this forum. Just stories of a handful of bad engines and a million opinions. :giggle: :like:

Sponsored
OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Ira, I believe you are correct. It would have to be someone who has the ability to collect national data. I would like to see MCA do this however most of what I have seen from MCA are past or upcoming events and warm stories about Mustang ownership. I was not a huge fan of MCA for that reason however I could be lured back if they expanded their focus to all aspect of Mustang ownership. There are some unbelievable Mustang mechanics who could lend valuable insight to any tech issue.
However, I am not sure how many Mustang folks would really want the data from what I have seen in forums compared to other brands.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Regardless of it being Corvettes, or Mustangs, or Porsches, only a small percentage of owners are members on enthusiast forums.

This is the largest S550 Mustang forum on the planet. Hundreds of thousands of S550 Mustangs have been sold. There's no more than a few hundred active members here.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
However, I am not sure how many Mustang folks would really want the data from what I have seen in forums compared to other brands.
It's really not a matter of wanting the data as opposed to needing it. I've been on here going on seven years and there has never been an issue big enough for anyone to either want and/or need it. Maybe the Porsche and Corvette folks has enough issues to warrant this type of reporting but no one here has never felt the need to ask for it.

That said, the only accurate source for this information is what @KingKona said, Ford.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
It’s impossible to keep track of the stats at least at the forum level. Unless Ford kept track which they won’t because why would they? And with roughly 800000 mustangs sold since the coyote came out then you have to go into percentages of how many had a coyote and how many are on the street and not on the forum. Remember a large amount went to rental places that wouldn’t report these failures on a forum. So yeah maybe you could keep track based on forum members but then the numbers would look a lot worse as you wouldn’t take into account how many aren’t on the forums. Not to mention this is mustang only and doesn’t take into account how many went into the f-150 trucks.

Personally I wouldn’t worry about it. Just get an extended warranty and if the engine hasn’t blown up by the time it expires I don’t think it will. These engines are stout and I’ve seen plenty of high mileage coyotes in both mustangs and f-150s. A lot of them have even reported to have the tick for over 100000 miles and they’re still ticking
Sponsored