Sponsored

Any reason not to remove my surfboard sized engine cover on my 5.0?

awhitegt86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
The cover is actually a sound diverter to help with the DI pump noise. I think there is some acoustic foam on the under side and the plastic attempts to send the sound downward. Gives a more pleasant engine note other than the tick issue. Too bad they did not make it out of clear Lexan which would have been really cool!
No difference in noise since I clipped the wings on mine.

PXL_20220604_202837707.jpg

Last edited:

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Semi-clipped, have not noticed any new noises.

mustang_cover_final_20190707_113444_resized.jpg

Hoose71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
84, 13, 13, 21, 22 Mustangs, 72 Nova Rally
That cover doesn't even come on the Mach 1's. They've even eliminated them from the ecoboost as a cost savings. They don't even look that good stock, the Gen 1 & Gen 2 covers were much better looking.

Sponsored

Darthy Jo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 1986 Panther Kallista
I took mine off about halfway through the engine break in period. Didn't notice any difference in sound, and wasn't really monitoring the temps until after. High 190s after full warm up. I like that oil filler neck removal bit though.

A co-worker recently got a Ranger Lariat and the 2.3 doesn't come with one at all now. He thought it was a mistake and has been looking for one. 5.0 looks better without, IMO.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Something tells me in 30yrs we're going to see these engine covers on ebay for $1000.
That, and all those sound tubes.:giggle:

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That cover doesn't even come on the Mach 1's. They've even eliminated them from the ecoboost as a cost savings. They don't even look that good stock, the Gen 1 & Gen 2 covers were much better looking.
I mean, the whole car was better looking....... LOL :)

Sponsored

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2018 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Never really liked covers to begin with. Mustangs never had this until the Coyotes. Really appreciated the raw look of the Voodoo and what was done to the Coyote with the Bullitt Mustang. This is an aftermarket trim made by Ford and was easy to install.
However, that’s the beauty of car ownership in general… modify to your preference and enjoy the car!

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
Both your cars look great. I will say however over the 6 months of ownership of my Mach 1 keeping the engine looking clean is a chore.
And someone asked if maybe it was to keep dirt off the engine. I had several Lincoln Mark VIII's over the years (I consider the original 4.6 DOHC mod motor the Great Grandfather to the Coyote, complete with an engine cover). One thing I discovered was after literally years of having those covers in place, the amount of filth that developed underneath probably added about 8 pounds to the car. Definitely a dirt trap, NOT a dirt preventer! My covers ended up as garage wall art, only to go back on when I sold the car.
The engine temperature comments I found interesting, but requires more research (engineering -wise, how similar is a Coyote to a BMW engine?).
Trimming down existing covers is acceptable cosmetically, so I may consider that. "Powered By Ford" covers are the bomb! Thanks for the part number, squid678!!!
I understand the "Rod Stewart Hair" comment, so I would consider spending time wrapping wire looms with tubular corrugated plastic covers or spiral wrap, or rerouting things if possible (unfortunately I don't have my Mustang yet to see what's what, so please forgive me if that last statement is stupid).
Bottom line: to each his own.

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
OH, and here's a thought:
If you remove the engine cover, when you go to a car show and pop the hood, where are you going to display your model of a Mustang that looks exactly like your car spinning on a little turntable?

Just sayin'

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
Besides the Bullit option from Ford stated above, they also have a supercharger cover that may be an option, also expensive. I like some of the cut down versions, but I'm saving mine for when I sell car.

2018-2019 MUSTANG SUPERCHARGER COIL COVER KIT M-9608-M50SC

c44307ef-7823-47ec-b770-3a0345020e66_1480x.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: