Sponsored

Any reason not to remove my surfboard sized engine cover on my 5.0?

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
There must be a reason the engineers put that cover on. Can't just be cosmetic. Has Ford ever talked about it?
That`s my thinking as well. I actually do not like the way the engine cover looks either. But its something I never look at.
Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
The cover is actually a sound diverter to help with the DI pump noise. I think there is some acoustic foam on the under side and the plastic attempts to send the sound downward. Gives a more pleasant engine note other than the tick issue. Too bad they did not make it out of clear Lexan which would have been really cool!

OP
OP
Homebrw

Homebrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR,18 EB Vert,12 GT500 Vert, 05 V6 Vert
Mine is just pure injection molded plastic underneath. No acoustic foam whatsoever.

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The more minimal cover on the gen 2 coyote looks a lot better than the flat thing on the gen 3. It's almost as bad as the Hemi 5.7 engine cover. Without the cover the motor looks like a hot mess with hoses and tubes everywhere. That being said, I still took mine off. lol

Sponsored

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
People want to see the engine when they lift the hood. The Gen 3 engine cover looks like some cheap prop Hollywood would use on a space ship. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 engine covers augment the look of the engine, the Gen 3 cover hides the engine completely and that's stupid.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
The more minimal cover on the gen 2 coyote looks a lot better than the flat thing on the gen 3. It's almost as bad as the Hemi 5.7 engine cover. Without the cover the motor looks like a hot mess with hoses and tubes everywhere. That being said, I still took mine off. lol
I had to go outside and take a look at it after reading your post. The more I stared at the engine and thought about your comment, the more the image of Neo pulling off the tubes from the Matrix popped into my head.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
In my case i didn't like the cover but don't like all the lines neither without it.

So decided to give the cover another look for the rarely times i open the hood.

Engine Cover.jpg

Engine Cover 2.jpg

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
There must be a reason the engineers put that cover on. Can't just be cosmetic. Has Ford ever talked about it?
It can absolutely be just cosmetic and it likely is

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage
In my case i didn't like the cover but don't like all the lines neither without it.

So decided to give the cover another look for the rarely times i open the hood.

Engine Cover.jpg

Engine Cover 2.jpg
Did you wrap that in carbon fiber gloss wrap or if that an aftermarket piece?

Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I hated the look so bought a Supercharger to replace it.

Nawwwww; I actually got the Coil Covers package to go with the SC so it'll be about the same. Besides, I don't pop my hood often enough to admire it.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
Did you wrap that in carbon fiber gloss wrap or if that an aftermarket piece?
It is a 3D Carbon Fiber Hydroponic job and air brush painted accents. It is not final yet as now i a m going the vinyl wrap the Performance letters in Silver Metallic so it can match the 5.0 Emblem.

Very satisfied with the output and haven't had problem yet with it. Here is a more detailed pic.

Engine Cover Paint Job.jpg

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Not really. The engine runs more efficiently at a higher cylinder head temperature. What benefits do you think a lower temperature would provide?

That being said, mine came off in the first week, because I prefer the look without it.
That's a bit of a blanket statement. Less chance of detonation is one benefit. To my knowledge, you want to be over 190 but you're not going to see a benefit being at 215 instead of 195. I recall a paper, I read, that went into the benefits of high CHTs and burning off oil/carbon but the range for that was around 400° so not really relevant to us.

If you have information stating that 200 - 215 CHT would benefit my engine more than the 195-200 I now see then do please share.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
If you have information stating that 200 - 215 CHT would benefit my engine more than the 195-200 I now see then do please share.
In an Otto cycle engine, work is produced as the piston moves downward, extracting energy from the fuel/air mixture. The expansion is assumed to be adiabatic and reversible. The expansion across the cylinder volume defines a fixed energy lost in the exhaust gas temperature above the surrounding environment, setting a maximum possible efficiency for the particular energy value of the fuel / air mix. Thermal energy losses beyond that maximum efficiency occur when the cylinder temperature is lower than the combustion mixture temperature, allowing heat loss to the cylinder and head, reducing the total energy that could be extracted from the combustion products.

Heat losses to the engine structure are linearly related to the temperature difference between the combustion mixture and the engine block. Assuming a nominal burn temperature of 1500F, the temperature difference would be 1285F at 215F cylinder head temperature and 1305F at 195F cylinder temperature. Thermal losses to the engine block would be 1.5% greater at the lower temperature.

BMW implemented this for the N54 / N55 engines in the two that I owned. In their "ECO" mode, coolant temperature was set at 108C (225F) for maximum fuel efficiency when the ECU determined the engine was at low load. "Normal" mode used a 104C (219F) setting. In high load situations, the coolant temperature would be set to 95C (203F). High load on high outside temperature days was set to 90C (195F).

Last edited:

Prefo20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 and 2022 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I think a natural engine looks better than plastic covers. Any issues with the oil filler neck no longer braced at the top?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Took the alien cover off of my 2020 and 2022. Looks so much nicer without. No issues on either.
Sponsored