Any Paxton cars Self tuned with HP tuner

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying the HP tuner software to tune my own car. Is anyone out there using HP tuners to tune their own car. I currently do all my own work on my car and I know it is a steep learning curve but I just hate having blind faith in my tuner. I also want the ability to make changes while I am at the track without waiting on new tune. I think my biggest challenges will be the following:

1. Knock Sensors
2. Transmission Shifts
3. Base Tune
4. Variable cam Timing
Sponsored

DrDane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT A6 400A 3.55
I had mine tuned, but my friend has HP tuners and Im looking at it to perhaps refine timing and shifts over my tuner who is more of GM guy

DrDane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT A6 400A 3.55
What mods do you have?
Paxton 2200 with 3.33 but beefcake gated to 12-12.5lbs.
Holley Sniper manifold
ID1000's
Sai li fuel system running e85
Off road long tubes to MBRP Race

MMR head cooling mod
OPG/Crank gear
ATI Dampner

Rest of the stuff is suspension
1 piece aluminum driveshaft
Steeda Proactions shocks/struts/springs
BMR lockout kit
Sway bars
Forged wheels

EVIL-PUNKIN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange GT Premium
Definitely following this thread closely, I've thought about this as well multiple times. Building/working on cars is my absolute passion and I feel like I'm a fast learner but I definitely don't want to be 100% lost and make 9 holes in a 8 hole engine if ya know what I mean! Lol

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying the HP tuner software to tune my own car. Is anyone out there using HP tuners to tune their own car. I currently do all my own work on my car and I know it is a steep learning curve but I just hate having blind faith in my tuner. I also want the ability to make changes while I am at the track without waiting on new tune. I think my biggest challenges will be the following:

1. Knock Sensors
2. Transmission Shifts
3. Base Tune
4. Variable cam Timing
I'm self tuned on a turbo car, probably similar to blower, but I'm MT82. Knock sensors, haven't needed to mess with them, transmission might be tricky, base tune will be your toughest, your current tune is probably locked so you'll need to start from scratch or find unlocked one, variable cam timing is easy, just change them to what you want.

The torque management system is the hardest to figure out

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Thats what i was saying to Ken is that the trans and torque managment being the hardest to figure out.Be nice to atleast have the ablitly to change timing shift points and fuel.

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I'm self tuned on a turbo car, probably similar to blower, but I'm MT82. Knock sensors, haven't needed to mess with them, transmission might be tricky, base tune will be your toughest, your current tune is probably locked so you'll need to start from scratch or find unlocked one, variable cam timing is easy, just change them to what you want.

The torque management system is the hardest to figure out
Where did you get your base tune from? I have a couple of tuners that have agreed to tune the car with HP tuners and let me access the tune. I think i will make the plunge over winter.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
these are def very tricky to tune,

biggest issues are cam timing and auto trans

spark / a/f are plenty easy enough.

imo you would spend years trying to perfect the tune. we do all our own in house tuning for 3v and earlier stuff, but we leave the coyote to lund. they have spent years and years dialing these in, and thats working on thousands of power adder coyotes, and still finding ways to perfect. your talking probably 5000-10000 power adder logs

vs

working one car

thats where it gets tricky

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Where did you get your base tune from? I have a couple of tuners that have agreed to tune the car with HP tuners and let me access the tune. I think i will make the plunge over winter.
I made my own tune, went from stock, to LT headers, to GT350 intake to turbo. I'd be happy to share my tune, and also the HP Tuners forum has a few tunes you can use for reference, some good, some not so much. You should also at least read the coyote cookbook.

It is tough working with a tuner that is only available during business hours when the track is open on nights and weekends
Thats exactly why I self tune, I can make a run, review the log and flash in a new change.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I made my own tune, went from stock, to LT headers, to GT350 intake to turbo. I'd be happy to share my tune, and also the HP Tuners forum has a few tunes you can use for reference, some good, some not so much. You should also at least read the coyote cookbook.

Thats exactly why I self tune, I can make a run, review the log and flash in a new change.
I will certainly take you up on that when I get the software. Do you have a stall in your car? How does it run in the 1/4?

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I will certainly take you up on that when I get the software. Do you have a stall in your car? How does it run in the 1/4?
I'm manual, so haven't got any auto tuning experience. I'm more a road course guy, will get car to track for some numbers soon
Sponsored