Sponsored

Any other "Camaro dream to Mustang reality" stories?

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Volkswagen Beetle, 2018 Mustang GT
I have wanted a Camaro, preferably a 1969 Camaro, since 1983 (in high school) when my friend Tamim took me for a ride in his. I remember being thrown back in the seat whenever he stepped on the gas and thinking, "Man, I gotta get me one of these!".

For over 30 years, I had still wanted some manner of Camaro. That's how strong an impression that car made on me in my teenage years. In the meantime, I have owned a 1960 Oldsmobile, a 1972 Corvette, a 1981 Porsche 928, a Mitsubishi EVO VIII, a 1979 Ford F100 pickup truck, a 1982 Chevy Citation, plus a few motorcycles, etc etc (most, of course, used).

Then a wonderful thing happened. I attended a car show in Houston a few years back. Now able to possibly afford a new Camaro (I think I've earned it after owning ever so many used cars), I happily made my way over to the Chevy section and signed up for a test drive.

The Ford and Chevy sections were adjacent, and I could see the Mustang "next door". I glanced over with a look of contempt, and then looked again and again, while actually seated in the Camaro. Finally, I decided to just go look at the car to see for myself just how crappy it was.

As soon as I experienced sitting in the car, and then took the time to actually educate myself about the specs and standard features, and then allowed myself to realize that this car would be my daily DRIVER, not a weekend track car, I decided to sign up for a test drive.

For my test drive in the Camaro, the rep allowed my wife and I to cruise around the convention center...stop and go traffic, traffic lights, etc. I was not impressed. At all.

When it came time for the Mustang test drive, the rep took us to a huge, wide open section of the convention center's distant parking lot, and then scolded me for "babying" the car and then told me it was okay to "drive it like I stole it." That is the moment I went from Camaro to Mustang. It's almost as if I grew up.

So now I am looking forward to the 2018 Mustang GT, and although I will have to wait for about 6 months to get it, I am sure that it will be worth the 35 year wait. Thank you, Ford, for helping me to discover the car I never knew I wanted.
Sponsored

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
I had a 10 SS2/RS and was looking for another. I drove the Mustang and bought one. I think I paid almost $10k less for a comparable car. I may buy another Camaro someday, maybe a drop top ZL1. Nice story though...

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I grew up a MoPar (Roadrunner) fan, but my family was a GM family. I've had tons of Pontiacs and love the Firebird (pretty much every year they made 'em.)

Never a fan of the Mustang.

Until the S550 came out in 2015. Then I started seeing them around. I wanted to test drive one to "get it out of my system", knowing it wouldn't live up to my expectations. I had rented a car a couple years ago for a road trip and it was a Ford Focus, and it drove and felt cheap to me, so that's what I was expecting with the Mustang. I was thinking it would be just another pretty face with no substance.

I was wrong. And now I own one.

:cheers:

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I say wait for the '18 Mustang.

The 2016+ Camaro SS is very impressive on paper....I followed the development of that car the last couple years. I'm traditionally a Mustang guy, but also like the Camaro SS.

I've never owned a GM V8 and thought the 2016 Camaro might be a great choice to experience the latest V8 small block from GM....455hp/455 ft-lbs LT1.

I'm a big enough Mustang fan, that my wife, family & friends where wondering who I really was when I told them that I was seriously considering buying a '16 Camaro SS.

When the '16 Camaro finally hit the dealers, I went to look at them. They were nice...but I wasn't really impressed with the interior design. Also, the price was outrageous compared to the Mustang GT/PP as well.

When comparing the S550 Mustang GT/PP directly with the new Camaro 2SS....I decided to stay with Ford and I bought my '16 Mustang GT/PP. Overall better quality, better built in my opinion.

I'm extremely happy with the Mustang. This is my 2nd Mustang.... I really regretted selling my first Mustang back in 2004.

I think I'm going to be driving a Mustang forever...Every time I get in the car I get a smile on my face.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Back in 2011 I looked at both the Mustang and Camaro. It was the opposite then (at least as far as performance goes. Mustang had the better interior by a mile imo.) I test drove both and, even with the visibility issues I fell in love with the Camaro.

I now have a 2017 Camaro, however I can agree that the Mustang is a better DD for a lot (majority) of people. Not to mention the lower entry cost to play. There was no way I was going to pay MSRP for the new Camaro... I, like most people, thought it was way overpriced. This one was used and at a much better price point.

I'm 6'1" and can see how people feel cramped in the Camaro. Although, I'm fine and the only time it's been an issue was when someone needed to sit in the back. That definitely sucks. I also bought one with the gray interior instead of black. I'm not sure why but that alone makes the car feel roomier..? I'd almost describe it as not feeling as dark and cavernous. That could just be me.

As far as trunk space and storage goes? Neither of those were really a concern for me as this is just a weekend warrior.

If I could afford both I would most definitely have a Mustang in my garage as well, even if reading through my posts I seem like a hater. I'm not. I just enjoy ruffling feathers. :ninja:

Last edited:

Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I still like the 5th and 6th Gen Camaro SS. Not a hater at all. I especially like that Gen6 SS/1LE.

Joebroni

Frac E-Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 50th
My history is a little different. I've owned almost all Japanese cars since I was a kid. Nissan, Toyota and a ton of Hondas (Yamaha too, a few bikes in there). I always wanted a Foxbody. If that wasn't possible, I always dreamed of a Monster Miata for a fun car.

Then I had a friend with a 95 Cobra that I fell in love with. The way it rumbled and threw me back in the seat was nothing I experienced with a Japanese FWD four-cylinder. He never drove the car, it just sat in the driveway because he had several other vehicles he would drive. But then I found out he wanted $8000 for it and 19 y/o me knew I didn't have the ability to afford that or get financing so it left my life. But as I continued growing up and got a family, the Mustang was always something in the back of my mind that I wanted. When I started looking around for another vehicle because my Accord was paid off and ready for updated features, I was looking around again for another similar sedan. E350, S5, ATS were on my list.

Then a close by Land Rover dealer got a 2015 PP trade-in with 9000 miles. It drew my eye. I always like the 2015+ body styling and thought they looked great on the street. I finally got a friend of my to get the keys and take me out in it. With the X-Pipe and Roush A/B it roared and the 6-spd with 3.73s just put a huge grin on my face.

I convinced him to let me take the car home over the weekend to see how the kid seats would fit in the back. My wife rolled her eyes, but I think when we left that night to go eat somewhere far away, and my daughters kept screaming with glee on throttle, I think she knew it wasn't going to win to put up a fight with me. I bought it the next day and wish I made the move sooner. 13mpg be damned, it's a blast to drive every day.

Oh and getting compliments is a good problem to have. Plus rolling into my daughters school or daycare and having all the boys stop and stare through the fencing never gets old.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
We had a '11 Camaro convertible. My major dislike was the steering, too heavy. When we got ready for another vert, we drove a '15 SS and a '15 GT, both used for a side by side comparison. Major dislike in the SS was the throttle response. Was not impressed with the L99 and how the motor felt during normal driving. The GT, the motor felt freer and the throttle response was perfect for me. I'm also not a fan of cylinders shutting off, I wanted a V8 all the time.

I'm not loyal to any brand and could care less if one car is 5/10 of a second quicker than another. The GT just hit all the right buttons. I still think the 5th gen Camaro ZL1 is the best looking car of all of em.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Everyone likes to knock the Mustang until they drive it (myself included). I am not sure what happened that caused everyone to think the newer cars are terrible cars. I was set on a Camaro too, but absolutely fell in love with the Mustang on the test drive and drove it home the same day.

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I've been a Mustang fan my whole life, and never thought I'd want a Camaro but after driving a ZL-1 last Saturday I want one.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My first car out of college was new 2011 Mustang GT Brembo Pack. I was hunting down Camaros for quite a long time and then decided the Mustang was more my personality. I was glad I reevaluated.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've been a Mustang fan my whole life, and never thought I'd want a Camaro but after driving a ZL-1 last Saturday I want one.
You're a Roush, VMP, Whipple or even Procharger, Vortech away.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I have wanted a Camaro, preferably a 1969 Camaro, since 1983 (in high school) when my friend Tamim took me for a ride in his. I remember being thrown back in the seat whenever he stepped on the gas and thinking, "Man, I gotta get me one of these!".

For over 30 years, I had still wanted some manner of Camaro. That's how strong an impression that car made on me in my teenage years. In the meantime, I have owned a 1960 Oldsmobile, a 1972 Corvette, a 1981 Porsche 928, a Mitsubishi EVO VIII, a 1979 Ford F100 pickup truck, a 1982 Chevy Citation, plus a few motorcycles, etc etc (most, of course, used).

Then a wonderful thing happened. I attended a car show in Houston a few years back. Now able to possibly afford a new Camaro (I think I've earned it after owning ever so many used cars), I happily made my way over to the Chevy section and signed up for a test drive.

The Ford and Chevy sections were adjacent, and I could see the Mustang "next door". I glanced over with a look of contempt, and then looked again and again, while actually seated in the Camaro. Finally, I decided to just go look at the car to see for myself just how crappy it was.

As soon as I experienced sitting in the car, and then took the time to actually educate myself about the specs and standard features, and then allowed myself to realize that this car would be my daily DRIVER, not a weekend track car, I decided to sign up for a test drive.

For my test drive in the Camaro, the rep allowed my wife and I to cruise around the convention center...stop and go traffic, traffic lights, etc. I was not impressed. At all.

When it came time for the Mustang test drive, the rep took us to a huge, wide open section of the convention center's distant parking lot, and then scolded me for "babying" the car and then told me it was okay to "drive it like I stole it." That is the moment I went from Camaro to Mustang. It's almost as if I grew up.

So now I am looking forward to the 2018 Mustang GT, and although I will have to wait for about 6 months to get it, I am sure that it will be worth the 35 year wait. Thank you, Ford, for helping me to discover the car I never knew I wanted.
Very similar experience to my own except I owned both a '68(SS rag top) and '69 Camaro in my younger days. My dream car has always been a '69 Z/28, have a buddy who has one and got to drive it a few times, loved driving that car. A real numbers matching '69 Z is beyond my means so the next best thing was a 2017 1LE. As it turned out a 1LE optioned the way I wanted was also beyond my means...*sniff*. So I test drove a GT Premium and bought it, my first ever Ford. Couldn't be happier and I fulfilled my dream of owning a 302 powered muscle car, it just happened to be a Ford instead of a Chevy.... :D

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You're a Roush, VMP, Whipple or even Procharger, Vortech away.
As much as I really really want to agree with you, there's unfortunate more to it than just the de powerz. GM's new MSRC revision is pretty impressive among other things. I still can't see out of it though.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Everyone likes to knock the Mustang until they drive it (myself included). I am not sure what happened that caused everyone to think the newer cars are terrible cars. I was set on a Camaro too, but absolutely fell in love with the Mustang on the test drive and drove it home the same day.
I think my issue is how I'm so used to the kick from the low end torque that the LS/LT OHV motors produce. When I test drove the new GT it felt slower to me compared to a OHV engine. This was back when the 6th gen Mustang had just come out. It was still plenty of fun though and compared to the 5th Gen Camaro, it was weird being able to look over my shoulder and actually see behind me. :lol:

I know it's not a dog by any means but I just like the feel of the lower end torque. I got bitched at by a Mustang friend for saying that and how the Mustang is more of a refined acceleration. I'm not disagreeing with that. Both cars are fun for sure. For a road trip the Mustang would probably be better. I drove 840 miles in the Camaro and my back was having issues after a while due to no lumbar support. Apparently GM figured that would be stupid to add to the Camaro. :mad:
But hey. At least I can feel like I'm holding a glass of warm piss with the heated steering wheel on. :shrug:

I have heavily considered the ecoboost as well for a DD. While not as quick as the GT it was hella fun to drive as well. Way more fun than my Nissan Versa DD I'm currently driving. :(
Sponsored