Sponsored

Any one with an MGW on a 18+ have 2nd gear downshift engagement issues?

5ohcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I’ve had to re adjust mine, that could be the problem. I was randomly getting locked out of 2nd after two years of no issues, adjusted the lockout and haven’t had the issue come up again.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
MGW fixed the 1-2 shift issue on my 13 GT. And that was the earlier design. Follow the above procedure to verify and then consider that you may have damaged your forks before the install. Nothing better than an MGW shifter.....NOTHING! But just as you can buy a good game of golf buy simply buying expensive clubds, you can't buy good shifting by simply getting the best shifter.
There’s like 3-4 people who already said in this forum they have the same issue with the MGW. I said I personally know some one with the same issue. No one damaged their forks. MGW is great but something is causing the issue. Highly doubt we all damaged our forks. The issue did not occur prior to installation it does not occur when the car is off. It’s only a downshift from 3 to 2 issue. So like I said it could be an adjustment thing and that can easily be fixed. No reason to defend a brand just because of brand loyalty. Not the best way to fix an issue clearly affecting multiple people.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's typically the problem with parts like that, including manual cam chain tensioners, etc. You just can't forget about them. And that's why I don't mess with my cars anymore. Not worth it to me, unless I absolutely have to. And my tranny is actually pretty good, since I don't abuse it, so will stay stock, other than just a fluid change when I hit 1K miles.

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
I had higher to mid rpm 3 to 2 lock outs on my 15 before and after putting on a Barton. Replacing the clutch line seemed to help but I always suspected the stock clutch itself just wasn't disengaging properly.

Sponsored

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Every now and then the shifter won’t allow the gear to go into second when downshifting from third. Almost feels like it’s bouncing off a wall. Usually the way to quickly fix it while driving is to go slow enough where you can drop into first then go back into second. Otherwise a lot of times second gear will be locked out until you shift into first, first. I’m absolutely not the only person experiencing this issue. I have other friends with the same shifter and the same issue. We had it installed at different shops so I know it’s not unique to my car or a certain shop not knowing how to install the shifter, that would be way too coincidental on too many levels. The issue occurs here and there but I think it happens more frequently in warmer weather. I never experienced this with the stock shifter so what you guys say? I’ve seen other guys have similar issue on this forum or at least when described it seemed similar so my question is what’s occurring. To me this doesn’t seem like MT82 lockout considering that seems to have to do more with power shifts at redline causing a syncro issue, misshift/lockout, while this is occurring at 45mph when dropping from third to second calmly, so that’s not what’s going on here. I never experienced this with my stock shifter so any insight would help.
I'm having the exact same issue on my recently installed MGW. No problem with 1-2 upshifts, but 3-2 downshifts can be hit or miss. I find that I almost have to finisse it into 2nd when downshifting at speed. With the engine off, or sitting at idle, there is no problem upshifting or downshift thru all the gears. In fact, this is why I did not adjust the reverse lockout per the video. I'm going to try adjusting it this weekend and will report back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Having the same issue here. Was reading on another thread about difficulty shifting into 2nd with MGW shifter and some found that it was the reverse lock out adjustment. Maybe it wasn't adjusted properly when installed? Mine had the shift forks recently replaced by Ford, so I'm thinking they reinstalled it wrong. I wasn't having that issue previously.
It could be the reverse lockout adjustment. give the adjustment bolt a half turn towards the driver with. a 9/16th wrench that should fix it if its that. I personally believe it’s just MT82 “goodness” affecting it.

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I adjusted the reverse lockout on mine on Friday. Driven it about 10 miles now and so far, so good. Now I just have to reinstall the console...
Sponsored