Sponsored

Any one with an MGW on a 18+ have 2nd gear downshift engagement issues?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Every now and then the shifter won’t allow the gear to go into second when downshifting from third. Almost feels like it’s bouncing off a wall. Usually the way to quickly fix it while driving is to go slow enough where you can drop into first then go back into second. Otherwise a lot of times second gear will be locked out until you shift into first, first. I’m absolutely not the only person experiencing this issue. I have other friends with the same shifter and the same issue. We had it installed at different shops so I know it’s not unique to my car or a certain shop not knowing how to install the shifter, that would be way too coincidental on too many levels. The issue occurs here and there but I think it happens more frequently in warmer weather. I never experienced this with the stock shifter so what you guys say? I’ve seen other guys have similar issue on this forum or at least when described it seemed similar so my question is what’s occurring. To me this doesn’t seem like MT82 lockout considering that seems to have to do more with power shifts at redline causing a syncro issue, misshift/lockout, while this is occurring at 45mph when dropping from third to second calmly, so that’s not what’s going on here. I never experienced this with my stock shifter so any insight would help.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump

s550hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt Magnetic
Every now and then the shifter won’t allow the gear to go into second when downshifting from third. Almost feels like it’s bouncing off a wall. Usually the way to quickly fix it while driving is to go slow enough where you can drop into first then go back into second. Otherwise a lot of times second gear will be locked out until you shift into first, first. I’m absolutely not the only person experiencing this issue. I have other friends with the same shifter and the same issue. We had it installed at different shops so I know it’s not unique to my car or a certain shop not knowing how to install the shifter, that would be way too coincidental on too many levels. The issue occurs here and there but I think it happens more frequently in warmer weather. I never experienced this with the stock shifter so what you guys say? I’ve seen other guys have similar issue on this forum or at least when described it seemed similar so my question is what’s occurring. To me this doesn’t seem like MT82 lockout considering that seems to have to do more with power shifts at redline causing a syncro issue, misshift/lockout, while this is occurring at 45mph when dropping from third to second calmly, so that’s not what’s going on here. I never experienced this with my stock shifter so any insight would help.
Having the same issue here. Was reading on another thread about difficulty shifting into 2nd with MGW shifter and some found that it was the reverse lock out adjustment. Maybe it wasn't adjusted properly when installed? Mine had the shift forks recently replaced by Ford, so I'm thinking they reinstalled it wrong. I wasn't having that issue previously.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Having the same issue here. Was reading on another thread about difficulty shifting into 2nd with MGW shifter and some found that it was the reverse lock out adjustment. Maybe it wasn't adjusted properly when installed? Mine had the shift forks recently replaced by Ford, so I'm thinking they reinstalled it wrong. I wasn't having that issue previously.
Did they replace the shift forks for you under warranty even though you had a MGW shifter ?

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But that would essentially mean your guy, my guy, and my friends guy all installed the reverse lockout incorrectly. Highly improbable. Also I think it would be a more consistent issue if that was the case. Might just be a weird thing with MGW.

Sponsored

Greystang17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
i just had the steeda tri ax shifter installed and i have the same problem with 2nd gear downshifts as well as upshifts sometimes. i was curious myself if something was out of adjustment?

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i just had the steeda tri ax shifter installed and i have the same problem with 2nd gear downshifts as well as upshifts sometimes. i was curious myself if something was out of adjustment?
I’m going to assume then it must be the typical mt82 affecting the new shifter. Sounds that way.

Greystang17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I think it may have something to do with the very little side to side play these race shifters have. In nuetral to left there's only about an 1/8" of play to select first gear. 3rd is straight ahead and 5th has double the side play to the right.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the website, it's interesting that they have a quick video regarding the adjustment, on the home page.

Might have a look and give the adjustment try. Does not look all that hard. And appears to be a bit touchy, meaning pay attention setting it up
https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/79

Race parts must be adjusted correctly, little room for errors. Bullet proof when done correctly

Nice shifter, got nothing to loose.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I never have any issues with mine, but it's probably an improperly adjusted reverse lockout. I'm running the X-Spec. My lockout was fine from factory, I didn't have to adjust it.

Not sure if it'd also be an issue with the type of knob and way it's being shifted? Knobs aren't weighted/too heavy? Also, try doing this with the car off and the brake on (or you can leave the car on and just hold down the clutch but that's not good). Shift around that way and feel if it does the same thing (and shift as if you were normally driving). If it's still catching, then it's the shifter and you need to adjust the lockout. If it only does it with the car running and you actually shifting like normal, then there might be other tranny-related issues.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I never have any issues with mine, but it's probably an improperly adjusted reverse lockout. I'm running the X-Spec. My lockout was fine from factory, I didn't have to adjust it.

Not sure if it'd also be an issue with the type of knob and way it's being shifted? Knobs aren't weighted/too heavy? Also, try doing this with the car off and the brake on (or you can leave the car on and just hold down the clutch but that's not good). Shift around that way and feel if it does the same thing (and shift as if you were normally driving). If it's still catching, then it's the shifter and you need to adjust the lockout. If it only does it with the car running and you actually shifting like normal, then there might be other tranny-related issues.

No adjustment for the rev lockout it is just a collar that lifts up. Holding in the clutch (riding the clutch) as suggested above in a non problem, in the case.
If gearbox related could be synchros, and happen up shifting as well. The problem described is related to down shifts. Could even be an intermittent miss match, speed/rpms/shifter gate.

Not seen a rev lock out adjustment, for this shifter.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If the issue arose after installing the shifter, it's not the tranny.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
No adjustment for the rev lockout it is just a collar that lifts up. Holding in the clutch (riding the clutch) as suggested above in a non problem, in the case.
If gearbox related could be synchros, and happen up shifting as well. The problem described is related to down shifts. Could even be an intermittent miss match, speed/rpms/shifter gate.

Not seen a rev lock out adjustment, for this shifter.
Wait...what? If he's got an MGW, it's a push-down for reverse with an adjustable lockout pin that is supposed to be correct from factory, but they explicitly tell you to double-check it before finalizing your installation. If it's improperly set, you'll have a lot of trouble with the 1-2 gate, especially on harder shifts (so you'll have more trouble going into 2 than 1 under normal driving circumstances). It'll either catch the reverse slot or the block between the 2nd and 4th gear if the pin is set too far in or out.

For reference:

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
MGW fixed the 1-2 shift issue on my 13 GT. And that was the earlier design. Follow the above procedure to verify and then consider that you may have damaged your forks before the install. Nothing better than an MGW shifter.....NOTHING! But just as you can buy a good game of golf buy simply buying expensive clubds, you can't buy good shifting by simply getting the best shifter.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wait...what? If he's got an MGW, it's a push-down for reverse with an adjustable lockout pin that is supposed to be correct from factory, but they explicitly tell you to double-check it before finalizing your installation. If it's improperly set, you'll have a lot of trouble with the 1-2 gate, especially on harder shifts (so you'll have more trouble going into 2 than 1 under normal driving circumstances). It'll either catch the reverse slot or the block between the 2nd and 4th gear if the pin is set too far in or out.

For reference:

I see what happened X-Spec is MGW, was thinking Steeda Tri-ax. Thanks for pointing that out:like:
Sponsored