Sponsored

Any obtainable HP(for me) left on the table?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
FORD spends tens-of-millions of dollars on R&D developing their powerplant combos;
Ford has a LONG history of producing lousy headers. Granted with the Coyote they broke the mold and actually produced something decent. Factory engineering priorities are not "max possible power" anyway so by definition they are not the absolute best they could be. Ditto their fuel maps. For example the V6 map was just embarrassingly bad.

But spending a lot of money to get a pitiful 15HP (3%) seems silly to me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
with the Coyote they (Ford) broke the mold and actually produced something decent.

...spending a lot of money to get a pitiful 15HP (3%) seems silly to me.
This is why I went with a set of used cat-deletes bought cheap from a fellow S550 owner. I wasn't willing to spend another $800 on a set of LT's to maybe gain another 10 hp.

roger1981

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
roger
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang pp whipple
Cat deletes would work, passenger side flange might need to be cut and re-welded depending on if it lines up with the header, assuming the flange is in the same spot as 11-14 headers you are good to go.
so i just got a set of the kooks super shorties for my 17 mustang after seeing that you did it , did you have any rubbing on the steering shaft or vibrations

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
When installing I had to adjust the motor slightly, loosened the motor mounts and pushed it to the left just a little. But if might have been because I replaced my stock motor mounts with URP ones. Other then that there was no issues.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'll bet if you dynoed back to back the stock and kooks shorties will be within 5 hp of each other. Ford engineers fought hard for the stock header.

Personally i'd do the MAK cat delete or have a shop fab up the same.

Sponsored

roger1981

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
roger
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang pp whipple
I'll bet if you dynoed back to back the stock and kooks shorties will be within 5 hp of each other. Ford engineers fought hard for the stock header.

Personally i'd do the MAK cat delete or have a shop fab up the same.
i am on a stage 2 whipple so i would think that the bigger primary and collector i would get more but we will see

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
FI it might make a difference.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Looking at photos of shorty's the collector is not the same side to side and the tubes are not equal length.

Might be a tuning nightmare. I have never seen a set of short headers perform well. I believe the GT500 uses the same factory design with larger tubes. The Ford header/manifold is really pretty good.

If they work well please let me know. I can't see spending 1200+ for long tubes that are not equal length, so if the shorties actually work on the coyote I am interested.
Sponsored