OP
OP
QRK

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
My wife is originally from Pittsburgh (been in Florida like 20+ years now), and we're right in here in St. Aug too (I'm from the area).

Yeah, wow, yikes, driving around St. Augustine can be a real _drag_, I especially love driving through the Old City behind confused tourists, pedicabs, horse drawn carriages, and sightseer trolleys ... and dodging horse poop :lol:

I've never had one of my sportier cars up in PA - but always wanted to. When we used to drive up, we'd always take the SUV, though there was a period where that was an X5 with the 4.4i V8 , Sport Package, that was pretty fun :D
Hey howdy neighbor.

Ya I bet the X5 made things a bit more interesting. I'm always stuck driving normal SUVs haha.

Makes me wish I took more advantage of the GT500 my dad had while I was in high school up there. He would let me take it out once a week (call him crazy) but I never really took it out for just a drive on back roads.
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hey howdy neighbor.

Ya I bet the X5 made things a bit more interesting. I'm always stuck driving normal SUVs haha.

Makes me wish I took more advantage of the GT500 my dad had while I was in high school up there. He would let me take it out once a week (call him crazy) but I never really took it out for just a drive on back roads.
The best was one year we drove the T4R up (to the Burgh) during Christmas a few years ago - stayed over at the BIL/SIL's house, there was a *massive* snow, roads were not "passable" with a _reguar_ vehicle. :D

So we make some calls and sure enough the grocery is open, and we need beer and wine, snacks, whatever - so I plunge into the dark, snow covered roads - they live in this nice housing plan, but it's kind of off the beaten track. Well, the 4Runner eats up that snow, we hit an area with a +huge+ snow bank, I plow through it. Beer, wine, wings, etc., was acquired.

Just about the most fun I ever had in a vehicle :D

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
There are lots winding country roads once you get west of river outside of jax heading toward Gainesville get a putnam county map. Just stay off 301. Sorry no hills.

Reactions: QRK

chewie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17" Ecoboost A/T
I found this old thread which doesn't have a lot of good info either. Unfortunately, Florida's kind of a let down with regards to fun driving roads.

Sponsored

OP
OP
QRK

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
There are lots winding country roads once you get west of river outside of jax heading toward Gainesville get a putnam county map. Just stay off 301. Sorry no hills.
I used to make the trip between Jax and Gainesville all the time for work and I dreaded it. Now that I don't, I've been wanting to make it back for a football weekend so I'll definitely check out some side roads on the way.

OP
OP
QRK

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
The best was one year we drove the T4R up (to the Burgh) during Christmas a few years ago - stayed over at the BIL/SIL's house, there was a *massive* snow, roads were not "passable" with a _reguar_ vehicle. :D

So we make some calls and sure enough the grocery is open, and we need beer and wine, snacks, whatever - so I plunge into the dark, snow covered roads - they live in this nice housing plan, but it's kind of off the beaten track. Well, the 4Runner eats up that snow, we hit an area with a +huge+ snow bank, I plow through it. Beer, wine, wings, etc., was acquired.

Just about the most fun I ever had in a vehicle :D
Driving through the snow is a lot of fun, especially when you're on a mission and the car you're driving makes you feel invisible haha.

GuardDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gaurd GTPP
Northeast FL is the worst for fun roads. Come out to and autox. About $50 for a good day of fun and you don't need track day insurance. Our region has events at the firm, roebling road raceway as well as your basic runway events.
http://buccaneerregion.com/soloevents.html

OP
OP
QRK

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Northeast FL is the worst for fun roads. Come out to and autox. About $50 for a good day of fun and you don't need track day insurance. Our region has events at the firm, roebling road raceway as well as your basic runway events.
http://buccaneerregion.com/soloevents.html
Much appreciated for the link, I will absolutely start looking into going to a few of these.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Living in Florida has MANY benefits for someone that grew up in Pittsburgh, but one big downside about living here is the driving experience. Aside from awful FL drivers (don't get me started), the flat and straight roads are starting to wear on me. As it is, I can only really have fun in my car for a few seconds at a time accelerating up to a bit beyond the speed limit -> then I just leave it in 6th, set the cruise control, and drive straight for endless miles.

I was in Pittsburgh this past weekend, and anytime I'm there I tell myself I want to bring my car up one time to get it on some fun roads. Problem is, I can't stand making the 13hr drive. I need a solution that's much closer.

Are there ANY even halfway decent driving roads anywhere here in Florida??
It’s either on or off ramps, or Sebring (as well as other tracks) other than that south of Orlando is pretty much a checkerboard. Although the roads are at least pretty smooth.

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
+10 September and October we will be having track days EVERY Saturday and Sunday. First timers to the track only pay $100. Everyone else is only $200 for more track time than you can handle. ;)

Outside of that, Pasco county, Marion county, basically anywhere in the horse/hill (using hill loosely) country of Fl has some good back roads with farm road connectors that are basically deserted.

Here's an example route we did last year. You'll see other car clubs out this way pretty frequently.

Didnt know you still come here.

Mikeyody

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
From the Jacksonville-lived in Bartram Park(in Orlando now). My favorite driving road back home is San Jose/SR 13 down to Hastings, which is about an hour drive. It's a two lane road, but absolutely beautiful this time of year. Trees covering the road, and you're driving basically right on the St. Johns. From St. Aug, take SR 16 until it dead ends to SR 13, take a left and just keep going. Turn around when the road ends at Hastings. You won't be disappointed!

Zambonicassoni

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Need for Green Ecoboost 101a
I always found the best bet to be the panhandle part after living around this state enough. Since it butts up against Alabama and Georgia there are more hills and some curvy roads, and not nearly as many people clogging them up helps.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I always found the best bet to be the panhandle part after living around this state enough. Since it butts up against Alabama and Georgia there are more hills and some curvy roads, and not nearly as many people clogging them up helps.
You still in Pensacola? I just moved to Panama City and planning to head to the next Crestview CC