Sponsored

Any good bluetooth OBDII readers that work with our cars?

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
I've got some $20 Walmart POS I nabbed a while back ago that doesn't work for shit. Nabbed it to try to pull a code on my '03 Explorer but it doesn't read it, doesn't read my mustang, nor did it read my ex's '06 Nissan Pathfinder. It will read my roommate's Taurus so I just gave the thing to him lol.

I've got a Amazon gift card that still has a bit on it and just got to thinking, one of those little bluetooth bastards that syncs up to your phone would be alright with me, I've got my little Android smartphone. Wondered if anyone on here has messed around with them and has a brand they like better than the others.
Sponsored

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I use this one - all of $12.95, worked with my SHO, works with my 2002 Ranger, 2014 Explorer Sport and works with my '16 Mustang. In fact I just leave it plugged into the Mustang unless I need it for another vehicle. Only quirk is that you don't pair it with your phone/device. You launch your app and let IT make the Bluetooth connection (Forscan and Torque both work like that), its just different not bad in any way.

https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Ultr...86&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=bluetooth+OBD2&psc=1

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
GoPoint BT1 (Apple) has been very reliable for me (use BT1A for Android)

I've also used the ODBLinkMX (wifi) is the one you can use to reprogram the as-built configuration files on your Mustang. (its one of the rare ODB2 readers are able to speak to the Ford microbus for advanced stuff), but WiFi isn't so convenient unless you have a laptop because the range is so short.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Remember the OBDII reader is only half the battle, you have to have good software to go with it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Your tuner?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Obdlink mx (Bluetooth version) is one of the best, if not the best, reader out there. It's compact in size, very quick, and stays connected. You can use Forscan with it as well as Torque, or your application of choice. I highly recommend it. It's a little expensive, but cry once, you know? It's like $75 I believe.

The Amazon reviews speak for themselves as well.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I've been using mine for over three years without any hiccups. I use the Torque app (full version) on an android phone. Torque's provision for plug-ins allows for interesting add on features to a the usual app fare, such as add on knock detector, video rec w/ overlay, etc
like the look of that, is this the same thing thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=251488093341

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP, check on Amazon for the "ELM 327" ob2 reader. I use this adapter, combined with the iPhone app called "OBD Auto Doctor."

Aside from being annoying to connect to at times, it hasn't let me down!

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Obdlink mx (Bluetooth version) is one of the best, if not the best, reader out there. It's compact in size, very quick, and stays connected. You can use Forscan with it as well as Torque, or your application of choice. I highly recommend it. It's a little expensive, but cry once, you know? It's like $75 I believe.

The Amazon reviews speak for themselves as well.
This is the one I use.
OP, check on Amazon for the "ELM 327" ob2 reader. I use this adapter, combined with the iPhone app called "OBD Auto Doctor."

Aside from being annoying to connect to at times, it hasn't let me down!
I couldn't get my ELM 327 to connect. It was a piece of crap.

OP
OP
ForTheHordeKT

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Remember the OBDII reader is only half the battle, you have to have good software to go with it.
Ah, figures lol. I guess I assumed that the reader would come with a little app you could download.

Well, hell. I've got a laptop and I have a little windows tablet so wifi range isn't a big issue for me if it operates off of that. But thanks for the suggestions, lol. I'll have to check them all out today and see what I see for the apps to go with it.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Ah, figures lol. I guess I assumed that the reader would come with a little app you could download.

Well, hell. I've got a laptop and I have a little windows tablet so wifi range isn't a big issue for me if it operates off of that. But thanks for the suggestions, lol. I'll have to check them all out today and see what I see for the apps to go with it.
A couple notes while you are trying different solutions. Straight-up generic codes can be read by pretty much any OBDII tool. OBDII is a government mandated standard since 1996. However, pretty much every manufacture also uses proprietary codes also. The first place you see this are with systems like ABS and airbags, which most OBDII readers/software can't resolve. For my F-150 I use TORQUE for basic trouble codes and real-time monitoring and I found an app called FordSys that can also read ABS faults for Fords along with a $20 bluetooth OBDII tool from Amazon.