OP
OP
Buzz

Buzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Vert, 401A, Manual, PP1, MagneRide, AVE, B&O
What I comes to my attention, is the apparent difference in the gap/space between the leading edge of the downward side flap of the spoiler, and the fender directly below it, as shown in these two pics. It appears to be much larger in the convertible than on the coupe.
I gotcha. Need to catch the dealership. looks like the double-sided tape is pulling up a bit on the edges
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
@Buzz

The other thing is the angle of a wing is very dependent on the position front-to rear, because of the little upturn/lip/ducktail on the trunk lid. When I did my Foose spoiler, just a little movement forward/backward made a notable difference in the angle.

Side note: what _is_ the deal with the trunk lids, Coupe vs. Convertible, they're not compatible, right?

OP
OP
Buzz

Buzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I need to find and park next to a PP1 fastback for an apples to apples comparison.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
@Buzz

Side note: what _is_ the deal with the trunk lids, Coupe vs. Convertible, they're not compatible, right?
The convertible's trunk lid is almost flat, whereas the coupe trunk lid has to deal with the fastback-like sloping rear. Also, the convertible has to add support for the satellite antenna and the 3rd brake light. The coupe lid has neither.

Though, one would have thought that the Mustang design body team could have (should have) made the final 1/3 of both lids be identical, for compatibility with options like spoilers.

OP
OP
Buzz

Buzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealership is going to make some adjustments and add two additional bolts Friday. Should be good to go after that

Sponsored

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work in Progress
@Buzz

The other thing is the angle of a wing is very dependent on the position front-to rear, because of the little upturn/lip/ducktail on the trunk lid. When I did my Foose spoiler, just a little movement forward/backward made a notable difference in the angle.

The slope of the Fastback and Convertible Decklids are the same towards the tail lights. However, if you look at a Fastback and Convertible from the side especially at the quarter panels. I sat down with someone before that had CAD data for the Fastback and Convertible. The Fastback quarter are kinda straight and slopes up, while the convertibles curves down and away. That is why the spoilers on convertible has a gap between the spoiler and quarter, and the fastbacks dont.

Dont know why Ford did this, because every year before 2015 didnt have this "issue" with Spoilers

OP
OP
Buzz

Buzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The slope of the Fastback and Convertible Decklids are the same towards the tail lights. However, if you look at a Fastback and Convertible from the side especially at the quarter panels. I sat down with someone before that had CAD data for the Fastback and Convertible. The Fastback quarter are kinda straight and slopes up, while the convertibles curves down and away. That is why the spoilers on convertible has a gap between the spoiler and quarter, and the fastbacks dont.

Dont know why Ford did this, because every year before 2015 didnt have this "issue" with Spoilers
The 3rd tail light on the convertible trunk creates a slight curve compared to the fastback. This results in the center of the trunk sitting slightly higher. In my case, the outer edges of the PP spoiler pull up just enough to create a slight gap. Dealership said if the center post was about 1/2" shorter, the edges would lay flat. They're going to refund me for the PP spoiler and I'll just grab an aftermarket. It's too bad, I really liked the PP look

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
@Buzz, did you ever get a different spoiler? My vert came with the blackout package with that tiny blade spoiler. Between the magentic color and the tiny thing blade you can barely notice it. I almost rather have none than that. I don't want anything huge either but at least make it look like it was meant to be on the car. Anyone have any rear spoilers that look good on a convertible?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
@Buzz, did you ever get a different spoiler? My vert came with the blackout package with that tiny blade spoiler. Between the magentic color and the tiny thing blade you can barely notice it. I almost rather have none than that. I don't want anything huge either but at least make it look like it was meant to be on the car. Anyone have any rear spoilers that look good on a convertible?

There's several to choose from, most are aftermarket, but you could use the Ford Cali Special wing, obviously that's designed for the car - then there's a ton of options from MMD, Roush, MP, Anderson makes some high[er] end carbon products.

I *love* my BMC GT350 wing, it's specifically designed for convertibles so it sits perfectly, however, one member here had a lengthy hassle trying to get a damaged wing being delivered, so that left their customer service a little questionable (a few of us ordered and had zero problems, so YMMV). I find the OEM 350 style to be the perfect size, enough visual impact to be very noticable, but not so big it seems out of scale with the rest of the car.

FWIW, some of the not specifically designed for convertible wings work to various degrees, I had an MMD/Foose I really liked, it didn't quite sit flush at the ends, but also wasn't even something you'd notice, especially on a black car.

Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
There's several to choose from, most are aftermarket, but you could use the Ford Cali Special wing, obviously that's designed for the car - then there's a ton of options from MMD, Roush, MP, Anderson makes some high[er] end carbon products.

I *love* my BMC GT350 wing, it's specifically designed for convertibles so it sits perfectly, however, one member here had a lengthy hassle trying to get a damaged wing being delivered, so that left their customer service a little questionable (a few of us ordered and had zero problems, so YMMV). I find the OEM 350 style to be the perfect size, enough visual impact to be very noticable, but not so big it seems out of scale with the rest of the car.

FWIW, some of the not specifically designed for convertible wings work to various degrees, I had an MMD/Foose I really liked, it didn't quite sit flush at the ends, but also wasn't even something you'd notice, especially on a black car.

With regards to the tips of the MMD-V spoiler MaskedRacerX refers to above, you can see it on my car pretty well in this pic https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/convertibles-photos-thread.13833/page-176#post-2719353. If I were OCD, it might bother me enough to look for a different model. But I really like the looks. I suspect he is right and on a dark car, you would hardly notice.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
With regards to the tips of the MMD-V spoiler MaskedRacerX refers to above, you can see it on my car pretty well in this pic https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/convertibles-photos-thread.13833/page-176#post-2719353. If I were OCD, it might bother me enough to look for a different model. But I really like the looks. I suspect he is right and on a dark car, you would hardly notice.
Your car looks awesome - and honestly, it's not like these cars are put together with some extreme precision anyway. I get a little OCD up front, but a day later, I'm like, "OK, that looks awesome", and I get on with life :D

BTW, I looked carefully at your photos, and I think yours fits better than mine did, so even with the same part there's variation in manufacturing, the install, etc.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Your car looks awesome - and honestly, it's not like these cars are put together with some extreme precision anyway. I get a little OCD up front, but a day later, I'm like, "OK, that looks awesome", and I get on with life :D

BTW, I looked carefully at your photos, and I think yours fits better than mine did, so even with the same part there's variation in manufacturing, the install, etc.
LOL, please don't think I meant to suggest you are OCD. I have a friend that I caught pacing back and forth chewing his fingernails because there was a bubble in the paint protection film on the INSIDE of his fender wells on his Tacoma...now that is some crazy shit! :)

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
Thanks guys, this car is unbelievable, in reality there is absolutely nothing that needs to be done, especially when I'm coming from a 2004 Marauder as comparison. But even this morning, I look at that thin blade spoiler and wonder why, why even bother. Maybe on Velocity Blue or Furry Orange it would be a nice subtle contrast, but on magnetic it almost looks like a mistake.

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Thanks guys, this car is unbelievable, in reality there is absolutely nothing that needs to be done, especially when I'm coming from a 2004 Marauder as comparison. But even this morning, I look at that thin blade spoiler and wonder why, why even bother. Maybe on Velocity Blue or Furry Orange it would be a nice subtle contrast, but on magnetic it almost looks like a mistake.
I dont think so
IMG_5465.JPG
Sponsored