ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Hey all,

My OEM SC2s (GT350 base, not the pseudo-R SC2s) have between 1k-2k street miles, and I've now run 3 track weekends on them (6 days - 2 each at Road Atlanta, Barber, and Nashville). As a new track driver, I'm not putting as much wear on them as those more experienced. On the fronts, I've worn the outer features off and the tires are down to the wear bars, and seeing some degradation along the center rib. The question is, how much (if any) track use life is left in them before I cord them? Is it likely they'll be heat-cycled hockey pucks anyway? Secondary challenge is that for the moment, I'm driving to/from track days not trailering, but I don't think these would be safe for street use at this point, just wondering whether to keep and get another track day or 2 or trash them.

Thanks for any/all input.

Chip

20210903_162745.jpg
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
As soon as you see that peeling in the center, they're time to throw away unless you're already at the track. You might get another couple sessions (could be half of one or 3-4), but it's not worth the risk when you're driving to the track.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
As soon as you see that peeling in the center, they're time to throw away unless you're already at the track. You might get another couple sessions (could be half of one or 3-4), but it's not worth the risk when you're driving to the track.
Thanks Kevin - that's exactly what I'm looking for. Into the trash they go...

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I'd just add that, if you are enjoying the track driving, it just makes good sense to grab a spare set of wheels, slap a set of more street-friendly tires on your favorite wheels, and put the next set of sticky tires on the wheels you want to use on track. Best of both worlds and a GT350 pretty easily swallows a set of wheels/tires so you can have "dry" and "wet" tires at the track, and a spare set if you ever have an issue so you don't get stranded.

Buy these, too: Tire Totes

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
I'd just add that, if you are enjoying the track driving, it just makes good sense to grab a spare set of wheels, slap a set of more street-friendly tires on your favorite wheels, and put the next set of sticky tires on the wheels you want to use on track. Best of both worlds and a GT350 pretty easily swallows a set of wheels/tires so you can have "dry" and "wet" tires at the track, and a spare set if you ever have an issue so you don't get stranded.

Fully agreed. I'm pulling these tires off of my OEM wheels, which will now be my winter wheels ( I have a set of A/S 3+ for those). I have summer wheels (Signature) on the car today with PS4S which are also my "wets", and yesterday my Apex wheels arrived and I'm getting them mounted with my new track tires. For spring I'm intending to move to trailer setup so I can have the track wheels/tires mounted and the wets available to swap if needed. Getting there one piece at a time...

Chip

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Fully agreed. I'm pulling these tires off of my OEM wheels, which will now be my winter wheels ( I have a set of A/S 3+ for those). I have summer wheels (Signature) on the car today with PS4S which are also my "wets", and yesterday my Apex wheels arrived and I'm getting them mounted with my new track tires. For spring I'm intending to move to trailer setup so I can have the track wheels/tires mounted and the wets available to swap if needed. Getting there one piece at a time...

Chip
Sounds like the right plan!

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
curious, did you rotate side to side?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

For the life of me I cannot fathom how four wheels with tires fit inside the GT350. I tried to do it for my recent Watkins Glen track event but could only fit one in the trunk, one in the back seat with the seat back lowered (there was no space for a second wheel/tire in the back seat, either beside or on top of the first one), and then I would have to do put one on the passenger seat (and not sure if it would have fit anyway).

Can someone post a picture of how they do it?

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
For the life of me I cannot fathom how four wheels with tires fit inside the GT350. I tried to do it for my recent Watkins Glen track event but could only fit one in the trunk, one in the back seat with the seat back lowered (there was no space for a second wheel/tire in the back seat, either beside or on top of the first one), and then I would have to do put one on the passenger seat (and not sure if it would have fit anyway).

1631313755269.jpeg

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)

Some will call me a safety nazi but Iā€™ll say it anyways.
Keeping something as heavy as a wheel unsecured in the cab of any car is, well, asking for a disaster if you wreck.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Well, I had an R so no back seat. Three across the back and one in the trunk. Could still fit helmet, gear, tools, spare fluids and rotors/ pads, and carry a passenger.