Another gun related question - gun safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
As some of you may have seen in my other post I will finally be getting my guns that have been at my parents house since I lived there. But, I need to get something to keep them secure and out of the hands of my 6 year old. I'm looking for something that is good, but won't break the bank. I'd prefer an electronic keypad lock. I'm not as concerned about fire protection as I am about security. It needs to be able to hold a 12 guage, .22 rifle, and a .357 as well as at least another handgun.

I found this one that seems to be decent.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cannon-safe-safari-series-sf4818-12-gun-safe?repChildCatid=1507335

Any recommendations?
Sponsored

OP
OP
PamAndJim

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
Yeah, was looking at the StackOn ones, especially the $99 one. But, the ones I saw all had key locks, which I was trying to avoid. But, I'll take a look and see what else they have.

RobBaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 6 speed, Performance Package in RR
My stack-on has a key lock. I think it's easy enough to hide a key. I would be careful with "electronic keypad lock". What happen if the electronics fail and your guns are secured. My wife had an anniversary at work where she could pick from a catalog and one of the choices was a handgun storage box. I went on to Amazon to look at the reviews and guess what the owner was unable to retrieve his gun out of the locked box. I'm fine with a well hidden key.

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I just bought a bigger safe, Stack-On at BJ's for #139 big sale, nice safe.

Sponsored

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
If you only have a handful of firearms, a full on safe might be overkill.

ero 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt 5.0
If you're near a bass pro shops, they are having killer deals on safes for black friday.

kray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 2014 Edge 2013 F150
Check Liberty Safe out of Payson, Utah. They build for Cabellas and Browning also. They build one of the best safes on the market. My safe has full LED lighting inside and turns on by motion. If the safe is moved or the temperature rises rapidly it can send me a text message. Costco is running a couple of safes on a good deal right now also. You get what you pay for in a gun safe.

5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Do you have a budget in mind?

Sponsored

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Might check out Tractor Supply as well. They carry some decent safes at reasonable prices.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
safe is one thing not to cheap out on, anything under $500 is more like a gun cabinet that will take no time to break into. You can judge a safes quality by the weight of the door. Heavy means thick gauge steel, more bolts, thicker bolts. Spent $1800 years ago on my liberty 35 gun safe, 800# empty and 1.5 hour fire rating

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
safe is one thing not to cheap out on, anything under $500 is more like a gun cabinet that will take no time to break into. You can judge a safes quality by the weight of the door. Heavy means thick gauge steel, more bolts, thicker bolts. Spent $1800 years ago on my liberty 35 gun safe, 800# empty.

While I generally agree with you, some people have a certain budget to work with and that's it. A cheaper safe is a much better option than no safe at all, especially with a kid in the house. I had a cheaper safe for a while and when I had the means, I upgraded to a good size Liberty safe. We all start somewhere.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
While I generally agree with you, some people have a certain budget to work with and that's it. A cheaper safe is a much better option than no safe at all, especially with a kid in the house. I had a cheaper safe for a while and when I had the means, I upgraded to a good size Liberty safe. We all start somewhere.
Great point. I wasn't trying to protect my collection from the professionals that hunt out things like this. Just the house full of kids and the friends they have over when I'm not there to supervise. And the smash and grab break ins.
To protect yourself from the pro thieves, it would take a monumental safe of epic proportions that would never fit into my budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.