Sponsored

Another fuel system option on the horizon

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I'm not really as active on the forum as I have been in the past, but I thought I'd pop on and show everyone what I've been up to with my car and let you know about another potential fuel system coming out for the EB.

I have been running a TB aux system since my car was finished in January. As I've followed various other builds, the writing was on the wall as far as running high power and E85 on TB injection. You have to put so much fuel through the system that you don't get good distribution. This led me to check what options were out there for other Aux systems. I wasn't thrilled with any of the off the shelf port injection kits due to the way the injectors are placed. It's not ideal to have fuel injected into only one runner and that's how all the current setups are run. During my search I started looking into what the Focus ST guys are doing and that's when I ran across the Speed Perf6rmanc3 port injection kit.

Speed Perf6rmanc3 has quite the reputation in the Mazdaspeed world and has also been pretty active in the Focus ST community. They haven't really done much with the Mustang EB yet, but I figured I'd reach out to them and see if their Focus kit would work on the Mustang.

I only needed the spacer and fuel rail because I decided to reuse the fuel lines and Split Second controller from my original Aux kit. I inquired with the guys over there about just purchasing those parts and we worked out a deal for me to test fit everything on the Mustang.

They also sent over their plug and play coil harness for me to test. This simplifies installation of the Split Second because you don't need to cut into your coil harness. The harness fits well and has plenty of slack for you to be able to mount your controller. But lets move on to some pictures and then I'll wrap things up.

Here is everything that I received from Speed Perf6rmanc3. You have the spacer, fuel rail, and the coil pack harness as well. In the Focus ST kit the fuel injectors, Split Second controller, fuel lines, and fittings are also included. I'm reusing everything from my previous Aux kit, and bought new ASNU 1050cc injectors used for R35 GTRs.

Here you can see that the injectors sit in the middle of the runner and are angled to fire down at the valves and not just perpendicular to the airflow.

Here is another nice feature. If you don't have access to race gas or E85 the spacer has ports on the bottom for water/meth injection. The could also be used for direct port nitrous as well.

Sorry this next pic came out blurry, I didn't notice until later. But here I have the plate installed. The longer studs to mount the plate were included as well. You'll notice the sensor on the right that normally runs to the front of the manifold. The bracket that is mounted to interferes with the fuel rail when installed so I had to remount it.

Here's what I did to remount that sensor. Removed the bracket and put a little piece of rubber on the manifold, then used the stock bolt to secure the sensor where the bracket used to attach.

Quick overview of the whole engine bay just after I finished.

Closer look at the rail. I've hidden the wiring under the factory harness as well as I could. Could always go back and use some harness tape to make it look factory.

So there's a quick overview of my new fuel system. I made the necessary adjustments to my 93 octane maps for my Tune+ and FFTEC tunes and the car runs happily on both. I still need a more reliable supply of E85 to really turn things up, there are only two stations within an hour of my house and they both constantly run out.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. Things I can't answer: When will a kit be available, how much it will cost, etc. SpeedPerf6manc3 isn't a vendor on here yet, but I'm sure when they get ready to release something they'll be here. In the meantime you can look them up on Google and you'll get a good idea of what to expect by looking at their Focus ST kit. Anyway, more options coming and we all like options. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I saw your post on the Facebook group the other night. SP has done some stellar work in the FoST/MS communities, and I'm really excited to see their upcoming products for the EBM. For what comes in the kit (for the FoST), it's priced very competitively. Not having to hack into the factory wiring is also a HUGE plus.

OP
OP

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Also just for fun here's a 4th gear pull I did the other day. Tune+ 93 octane, no changes made to the AP map, I only adjusted my Split Second map, actually going to make one more tweak to this.

Kuronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
How much is this kit?

Sponsored

Kuronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Lmao just read the last paragraph. Did you expect me to read ALL THAT?! Lol. Jk I'm dyslexic. And that's information you put in like the first paragraph, obviously price point is the first thing someone's going to jump to, when you have tune + coming out with an e85 conversion kit

OP
OP

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Lmao just read the last paragraph. Did you expect me to read ALL THAT?! Lol. Jk I'm dyslexic. And that's information you put in like the first paragraph, obviously price point is the first thing someone's going to jump to, when you have tune + coming out with an e85 conversion kit
I'm not a professional forum poster. ;)

I imagine the price will be around the same as the Focus ST kit. I don't want to post too much about that because they aren't a forum sponsor yet. Best to look at their site.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Center injector mounting has been tested by Full-Race real early in the game and it showed signs of puddling during flow testing. It helps it is making it down both runners for the fact it cleans the backside of each valve, but performance wise there is a few things I want sorted which I don't think can be done via a spacer, an intake manifold is necessary.

Looking at the log you posted a screenshot of (which btw is a violation of my policy in my email signature that you commit to when supplying your serial number) but I'm not too worried about it, you have inconsistent corrections. This could be due to the fact you are on pump gas, or it is because you are losing atomization of the fuel entering the cylinder. If additional fuel reaches the combustion chamber in a non-atomized state it is going to create hotspots on the piston, especially if you are retaining the factory style fuel bowl piston which I believe you are from your build thread. Hot spots will induce knock especially in big boost cars.

I want the center injection to work, but unfortunately injection is too close to the divider between the intake runners. If it wasn't for the crappy design of the Ecoboost Mustang cylinder head this would be the bee's knees. For now, I prefer the offset injection style for atomization reasons. Only drawback is possibly the benefit of valve cleaning however with higher power comes better fuels and less chances of carbon build up.

Only way center injection is going to really kill it is with an intake manifold. I hope that will be a solution very soon.

Thank you for sharing!

wsfrazier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 M6 401a
With all these upcoming aux fuel kits, and most using the Split Second controller... Has anyone seen failures on these controllers?

Love the idea of aux fueling, but having the life of your engine depending on a third party controller than the ECM can't control or talk to, sounds risky.

If that thing fails while doing a pull or decides to have a brainfart and not inj fuel right or something. Could be bad.

OP
OP

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
With all these upcoming aux fuel kits, and most using the Split Second controller... Has anyone seen failures on these controllers?

Love the idea of aux fueling, but having the life of your engine depending on a third party controller than the ECM can't control or talk to, sounds risky.

If that thing fails while doing a pull or decides to have a brainfart and not inj fuel right or something. Could be bad.
Definitely have/had the same concern. I will say that its likely more reliable overall than a meth kit. That being said, there isn't an alternative to a third party controller so you take a risk just like with every mod.

Sponsored

wsfrazier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 M6 401a
I'd like to get my hands on that plug n play harness for the Split Second. Save me the time and hassle.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I'd like to get my hands on that plug n play harness for the Split Second. Save me the time and hassle.
You can purchase it separately for $150 or so.

It's also worth noting that Microsquirt is a suitable alternative for an auxiliary controller.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
You can purchase it separately for $150 or so.

It's also worth noting that Microsquirt is a suitable alternative for an auxiliary controller.
It is just a signal adapter, you still have to do some wiring outside of that patch harness.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I've been looking at moving to a centered injector rail but only after some serious port work to the head. Even then I have had success with the single port and Ken made more than I plan on making in the near future so there doesn't seem to be any serious draw backs at the moment.

As far as the Split Second box goes, if you pay attention to some of the early hiccups a few of us had there should be no reason to not trust the box. That being said I'd like to move to the MicroSquirt box and see how a potential flex fuel option would work out.

In conclusion, the simple kits like Adam's work perfect. The bigger concern, which is being addressed en masse, is fuel supply. I have a bad ass fuel system I'm building and Adam has one brewing for plug+play if I'm not mistaken. There are others developing the same thing. Soon there will be direct fit big-boy fuel systems like Fore/Sai Li/JPC for the EBM.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
I will be running this module when I do my 3.4 whipple 3V build with triple return pumps. This guy is over on the forum that shall not be named. Not sure if it will work on the eco, but he would be the guy to ask.

http://www.mdracingkc.com/Welcome.html

[ame]
Sponsored