Sponsored

Anderson Composites will be offering carbon fiber components for the GT500 in 2020.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
They patent everything. Defies logic. I've spent way too many hours reading through hundreds of them.

I honestly don't see what you are seeing about them bleeding turbulent air through the small slots in the end plates. I'll look through some photos but I don't recall the GT4 Mustangs needing any kind of vent or slot on the end plates. Even the text within the patent states that the slots are there so "the water can drain onto the decklid by virtue of gravity and then flow away from the vehicle."
Sponsored

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
They patent everything. Defies logic. I've spent way too many hours reading through hundreds of them.

I honestly don't see what you are seeing about them bleeding turbulent air through the small slots in the end plates. I'll look through some photos but I don't recall the GT4 Mustangs needing any kind of vent or slot on the end plates. Even the text within the patent states that the slots are there so "the water can drain onto the decklid by virtue of gravity and then flow away from the vehicle."
Formula 1 has been doing it for years.
Re: Why the cut outs in rear wing endplates?
Post by godlameroso » 13 Aug 2011, 20:53

For the cut outs, mind you the air on the outside of the end plates have a higher than ambient pressure as they curve slightly outward. The cut outs which are placed at the end of the rear flap reduce the pressure of the air stream and this lowering of pressure follows the low pressure caused by the underside of the wing. As for the slots, simple story it's more of a compromise to achieve more efficiency from the rear wing as it pertains to lift to drag ratio. The slots bleed pressure at the edges where the wing meets the endplates. It allows the airflow to the rear wing to also be more uniform across the wingspan. You lose a little downforce but it's less draggy and more consistent.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds plausible, need data. Again, the Multimatimatic GT4 cars don't do this and they have been thoroughly vetted...

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
Sounds plausible, need data. Again, the Multimatimatic GT4 cars don't do this and they have been thoroughly vetted...
GT4 cars have to run the spec wing. Don’t know if they tried holes or slots in the end plates. It’s just my take on it, maybe they do like to patent drain holes. I will ask Dean Martin next weekend.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4 cars run the wing that they (Ford Performance) submitted to the sanctioning body. The GT4 Mustang is the only car to run that wing as all are unique to each manufacturer. I have never been told they were told they couldn't have submitted a design with slotted end plates. GT4 wing end plates have plenty of small holes in them to coincide with AOA adjustments.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
E: I know next to nothing on the subject of automobile airfoils but, I do understand lift and drag. Do you know what the two, fixed AOA's are for the Snack Pack cars? I'm just curious about whether "the road" setting is helpful, hurtful, or neither.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are two choices so the range of adjustment is rather small.

____TOB-WING-ADJUSTMENT-XL.gif

The real deal GT4 wing has a far greater range of adjustment.
Sponsored