Sponsored

Anderson Composites GT500 CFTP Wing Showed Up..

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I would really like to see how they determine their wings are good to 130??? Now 140
Apparently it was established by testing. I guess thus far, 140 was the fastest track they could find
Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Apparently it was established by testing. I guess thus far, 140 was the fastest track they could find
I'd like to see the actual data on that. For all we know, they made it up. I know someone who had their wings and they cracked on the track.

I have an AJ Hartman Carbon wing, splitters, and dive planes and its rock solid and I have been 160MPH with it.

192369335_603222804401776_7133685919790973686_n.jpg

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
“Tested to 140+“ doesn’t mean much without any details about the test itself and data points created. Any Joe Schmoe can slap on wing, get the car up to 140+ and say it was tested. Just like saying “I researched XXX”….no ya didn’t, you did a google search and found something that agrees with your opinion 🤣
Real testing and research requires many hours and data points. I’m with Tom on this one…it looks like a nice wing to show off at Cars and Coffee but I wouldn't trust it for any real-world racing.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
“Tested to 140+“ doesn’t mean much without any details about the test itself and data points created. Any Joe Schmoe can slap on wing, get the car up to 140+ and say it was tested. Just like saying “I researched XXX”….no ya didn’t, you did a google search and found something that agrees with your opinion 🤣
Real testing and research requires many hours and data points. I’m with Tom on this one…it looks like a nice wing to show off at Cars and Coffee but I wouldn't trust it for any real-world racing.
What can I say except it is what it is. Once this wing becomes pervasive, only then will we know how it holds up. Most dont track their cars, but some do. I know of a few that plan to take this wing to the track and put this wing to the test. One guy in particular runs COTA. This will be interesting.

I'm trying to be fair based upon observations. Let's all just see what happens. I'm all for discussion about this product. That is what this forum is for. We all have an obligation to post responsibly and so far I have seen very responsible and intelligent posts (where it matters).... we all know Tob and we enjoy interacting with him. He's a great guy and I can see he's doing the best he can with this particular problem.

Its funny (and I dont mean like a clown funny) that this shipping accident happened. Here we have a damaged item as a byproduct of improper packaging and handling. Out of that comes the guts of the wing that truly shows the construction and assembly methods of the wing.

This, in my opinion, is worthy of discussion and I'm looking forward to seeing how this wing does at some of the higher speed tracks in the U.S.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Tob: I would never have thought to test the wing's down force with weights either but maybe someone else will have one that needs returned (not wishing this on ANYone of course,) due to defects and they can test before cutting.

Shouldn't be difficult to distribute the weight across the span and just keep adding till she cracks. It's a shame that AC doesn't say what amount of force is generated at 140 but I suppose we can extrapolate in general terms with say 300-350 pounds? This also presumes the wing is in the Track AOA position.

As Sargent Shultz used to say,

"I know nothing.."

..about carbon fiber construction but logic tells me that the foam-centered version would obviously be stronger.

Sponsored

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
For reference, here’s a pic of the solid core of an AJ Hartman wing. The bolt heads are for the end plates.

6177DF8A-795B-4979-848C-544DF84A0832.jpeg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
For reference, here’s a pic of the solid core of an AJ Hartman wing. The bolt heads are for the end plates.

6177DF8A-795B-4979-848C-544DF84A0832.jpeg
It looks like that wing has CF caps. It would be very heavy if it was solid. When you tap on it, does it seem hollow or is it similar to tapping on a 2x4? Most reputable manufacturers use a foam core for support and weight savings.

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
Yes, that's what I intended by "solid" (poor word choice on my part). It's a solid core made of foam. Not hollow like the Anderson piece.

Solarhermit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 black/tech/handling no ADM +$10K tax
Thanks for the insight everyone. I was getting ready to order up the same wing but now I am very hesitant. Its AC's job to make sure their product arrives with no damage and to package it accordingly. If they actually cared, they would tune up their packaging right now. Otherwise, they lose my business and many others with the same fear of shipping damage.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the insight everyone. I was getting ready to order up the same wing but now I am very hesitant. Its AC's job to make sure their product arrives with no damage and to package it accordingly. If they actually cared, they would tune up their packaging right now. Otherwise, they lose my business and many others with the same fear of shipping damage.
If you don't care about speed limitations, and you are handy with a circular saw, and you don't mind putting down the full price and waiting almost a year, this might just be your wing.

I was driving the 500 today and I couldn't help but start tapping on my OEM wing. It sounds like its hollow. But I'll be damned if I'm going to chop mine in half to find out.

I have the email address for the manufacturer of the OEM wing. I think I am going to reach out and ask if this wing is hollow or not.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Hey, @Epiphany ,

Do you mind going out to your car and tapping on your multimatic wing? Let us know if you think it sounds hollow. I would think if a wing had a foam core it wouldn't sound hollow. The best I can relate to is like tapping on a surfboard. It will sound light (not a dense solid core), but light (if that makes any sense).

Solarhermit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 black/tech/handling no ADM +$10K tax
I'm thinking of the GT350S wing (Ford Performance Part #M--17839-FP350S). For a price of "only" $2400 and made by Ford, maybe this would be my best choice?? I am upgrading my '19 Bullitt and curious as to the pluses and minuses of the FP350S vs the CFTP wing.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I will do that and let you know.
Not to hijack the thread, but I couldn't find the other thread we were talking about with the ABS plastic wing you were considering, Dont.

I was just on the highway and saw a mustang (2015-2017) have THIS wing and I caught up to him and while doing 75 this wing was seriously bouncing (Vibrating) up and down badly. I know its not the CF wing, but if this wing made of ABS is moving up and down that noticeable I can only imagine what the Racing wing would do.

Just thought I would mention it.

Sorry again for sidetracking the thread for a moment.

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HE, 2022 GT500 CFTP HE, 2022 Lightning
Vehicle Showcase
Tob: I would never have thought to test the wing's down force with weights either but maybe someone else will have one that needs returned (not wishing this on ANYone of course,) due to defects and they can test before cutting.

Shouldn't be difficult to distribute the weight across the span and just keep adding till she cracks. It's a shame that AC doesn't say what amount of force is generated at 140 but I suppose we can extrapolate in general terms with say 300-350 pounds? This also presumes the wing is in the Track AOA position.

As Sargent Shultz used to say,

"I know nothing.."

..about carbon fiber construction but logic tells me that the foam-centered version would obviously be stronger.
Why would a foam core be stronger? I watch the Koennigsegg videos and I normally don’t see foam cores. I am asking because I don’t know the answer.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Why would a foam core be stronger? I watch the Koennigsegg videos and I normally don’t see foam cores. I am asking because I don’t know the answer.
It gives the CF something to support it from the inside to prevent flex.
Sponsored