Sponsored

And the hits just keep on coming... 2017 GT350 - low/no oil possibly?

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
He pulled the stick, found it dry I'd be surprised if he didn't hear every noise these engines make 3 times louder.

6 feet of timing chain, 4 cams, 32 valves fuel injection...... These engines make noises
Mine engine is extremely quiet. I'm actually surprised at how quiet it is compared to other cars.
It had 6 qts. Yes that is low. It is not low enough to cause an oil starvation condition unless at high RPM and high G force. Even that is unlikely with the baffled oil pan.

If the OP drove it easy there would be no engine damage from the low oil level.
I realize the oil pickup would still be submerged even with less oil than 6 quarts. So the pump is still keeping pressure throughout the engine. I still have to ask why the engine was making more noise than normal? That would typically indicated metal on metal that isn't normally happening.

As you mentioned in another post, I would also ask for an extended warranty on the engine.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I still have to ask why the engine was making more noise than normal?
I've had 2 of these motors and they both randomly make noise. It bugged me for awhile but no more.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wonder if the difference in noise level 6 vs 10 quarts isn't metal on metal but more a noise muffling effect of the additional 4 quarts of fluid especially in the upper part of the engine.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Mine engine is extremely quiet. I'm actually surprised at how quiet it is compared to other cars.

I realize the oil pickup would still be submerged even with less oil than 6 quarts. So the pump is still keeping pressure throughout the engine. I still have to ask why the engine was making more noise than normal? That would typically indicated metal on metal that isn't normally happening.

As you mentioned in another post, I would also ask for an extended warranty on the engine.
Whether the oil pump pickup is always submerged with low oil depends on how fast the pump operates versus how fast drainback is. The pump is pushing oil to the top of the engine, but only gravity is pulling it back down.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
No CEL at all, no warning lights or a wrench either. I'll check what the oil pressure is at on startup tomorrow morning.

There ended up being 9 3/4 quarts when they emptied it. So not full up to 10 quarts but close enough.

I'll look into the extended warranty as well, is that something I need to get through Ford or work through the dealer? I would definitely opt for a powertrain vs bumper to bumper. I already have a case opened with Ford regarding their service with my transmission, so maybe this is something I tack onto should they give me any trouble.
9 3/4 but was a bone dry dipstick? thats weird.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Whether the oil pump pickup is always submerged with low oil depends on how fast the pump operates versus how fast drainback is. The pump is pushing oil to the top of the engine, but only gravity is pulling it back down.
Hello; You hit a key point. The pump may be moving more oil than can drain back under some RPM conditions. I am not up to date on how the pressurized oil is set up to move thru an engine. Very likely some key parts get oil first and other get it last.
The thing I have been thinking of is the heat. Six quarts will not be doing the same job as ten quarts. There was a reason the oil capacity went from the traditional six quarts to a total of ten.
But we are in a way guessing. I do not like to run even a quart down. Four quarts down from normal is worry some.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think the noise is the sound you get if the dealer tech puts 6 quarts of 5w20 in a Voodoo.

On the issue of oil not draining down, fair enough, but there isn't room in the upper galleries and the heads for six quarts of oil. Two or three, maybe if the oil's really cold and it's 5w50, but even then, most of it will be in the sump.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Just a thought.
You tow your car to a dealership with a blown engine. I can imagine one of the first things that is checked is oil level. You are 4 quarts down.
Dealership confirms “no big deal, Ford says that’s ok and we’ll replace the engine on our dime”.
RIIIIGHT

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I think the noise is the sound you get if the dealer tech puts 6 quarts of 5w20 in a Voodoo.

On the issue of oil not draining down, fair enough, but there isn't room in the upper galleries and the heads for six quarts of oil. Two or three, maybe if the oil's really cold and it's 5w50, but even then, most of it will be in the sump.
Hello; Ok I get what you are saying. Might be a way to test this. Run an engine ans check the oil immediately after you shut it off. Then check it after an hour or overnight. See if there is a difference. Of course this will be a comparison an idle. AT higher RPM's the pump will be pushing more oil. I just do not have a way to figure when oil is too low. Four quarts low seems a lot.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The pump is pushing oil to the top of the engine, but only gravity is pulling it back down.
These engines are designed for extended high RPM operation, they drain extremely well.
Dealership confirms “no big deal, Ford says that’s ok and we’ll replace the engine on our dime”.
RIIIIGHT
If you are on a track being 4 qts low on a 10 qt pan might cause problems, I won't try it.

The OP said he drove it easy for about 100 miles. This shouldn't be a problem.
Two or three, maybe if the oil's really cold and it's 5w50, but even then, most of it will be in the sump.
Not sure on a coyote but about a pint to 1 qt is in the oil passages and upper cylinder heads. These drain very well. Unlike in the past.
I remember people blowing up chevy's from installing high volume oil pumps then running them on a track.
This, I forget which famous race engine builder said this "run the thinnest oil you can stand the noise of"

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Just throwing this out there.

If there’s a quart between the high and low marks on the stick AND Ford says anywhere between the marks is OK, shouldn’t we be saying the 5.2 takes 9-10 quarts and not just say 10?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Just throwing this out there.

If there’s a quart between the high and low marks on the stick AND Ford says anywhere between the marks is OK, shouldn’t we be saying the 5.2 takes 9-10 quarts and not just say 10?
That would be correct but the cars also known to normally burn oil. Just keeping it to 10 gives you a nice safety margin before you notice you're getting low. Mentally "Hmm its only at the bottom dot" is more calming than "omg there is no oil on my stick at all"

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I don't care what anyone says, and it may not be rational on my part, but I would not be OK with being 4 QUARTS low on oil! Nope

As was mentioned earlier, if you blow the motor and they pour out only 6 quarts of oil there is no way in heaven they are going to think that is just fine and fix your motor for you for free.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
As was mentioned earlier, if you blow the motor and they pour out only 6 quarts of oil there is no way in heaven they are going to think that is just fine and fix your motor for you for free.
Except you forget these engines are known to burn oil. So if you have one that burn a lot, get it documented.

I have found instances where people claim to have been 6 qts low on the voodoo while tracking and no apparent damage. Which makes sense to me. There just needs to be enough oil in the pan to keep the pick up covered under running conditions. 4 qts have been fine since the 1930's.

Facts, not emotion.
Sponsored