Sponsored

And the hits just keep on coming... 2017 GT350 - low/no oil possibly?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I don't know what you would expect them to do. Tear it down for an inspection? I'd be more afraid of then screwing something up looking at it. If it had lost oil pressure there will be a code stored.

I'd have them do a power balance test and when it passes I'd ask for an extended warranty. Maybe some free oil changes.

There is no excuse for 4 qts low, that "tech" should be fired IMO.
Come on man, you know they can inspect a great deal without tearing it down. Besides the power balance test add in a compression and leakdown tests and scope the cylinders. That and some warranty extension.

If it isn't such a big deal, then why fire the tech?
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If it fails the power test then, yes do more but at that point it becomes an engine replacement

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Couple things here....Iā€™m no mechanic but work with them on a regular basis. NOT ALL ARE CREATED EQUAL, NOT EVEN CLOSE.
#1) Usually the new techs start at the tire room then move onto oil changes. This could mean someone who has had zero mechanical training before working at the dealership is doing your oil change. Iā€™ve seen many, many times techs lying straight to ones face to save their job. The proof is documented 4 quarts low yet the tech states he added 10. Labor shortages are driving dealerships to put up with more sub standard work by their employees.
#2) Iā€™d take the car to another, read better dealership.
Asking the fox to watch the hen house is, well, not very smart.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
My last oil change even though they gave me the proper amount and the proper filter they wrote it up at 6tqs and the Ecoboost oil filter part number.

I mean it saved me money but also made me worried they left out 4 qts and somehow used the wrong filter. I double checked and all was good.

Sponsored

OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Hey all,

Update again:

They changed the oil, I got a sample and have asked for a sample kit from Blackstone labs.

When the new wheel bearings come in, they are going to run through the engine with a fine tooth comb. The AGM is getting me the paperwork for the pre delivery inspection... the tech who replaced the transmission also was the one who did the oil change.

I honestly don't want someone fired, I am fairly pissed off at this experience but I can completely understand things happen.

They are in the works of setting up the paperwork for an engine replacement should they find anything wrong during their inspection.

They have another GT350 in there as well and are replacing that engine too.

And to answer your question I was not monitoring the oil pressure, totally dumb on my part. When I start it up it idles between 50 and 75, I assume that's normal?

I also have an appointment with another dealership on Monday to go over my car. I let them know my concerns and the service manager said they'll double check it. It's the same dealership my fiance got her Bronco Sport at, so we have a relationship its just 35 minutes from me lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

More updates to come.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't know what you would expect them to do. Tear it down for an inspection? I'd be more afraid of then screwing something up looking at it. If it had lost oil pressure there will be a code stored.

I'd have them do a power balance test and when it passes I'd ask for an extended warranty. Maybe some free oil changes.

There is no excuse for 4 qts low, that "tech" should be fired IMO.
An extended warranty would go a long way. Probably the main damage will be scuffing on the pistons and bearing wear. There's no way to see that without a teardown and I wouldn't want the dealer to do that.

In a way, the extended warranty is almost better than engine replacement, because you could use the car for a number of years and then have a new engine years from now. However, with the warranty it depends on what the terms for replacement are. If you hear a noise from piston slap? Low oil pressure at idle? Down on power? Or does the engine have to completely fail as in not run at all?

I would almost want some very specific terms for what constitutes engine failure that will satisfy the extended warranty requirements. The 302 in my old F150 had piston slap on cold mornings after it was run out of oil. Some people will say that piston slap is normal for the GT350, but mine never had it.

Hey all,

Update again:

They changed the oil, I got a sample and have asked for a sample kit from Blackstone labs.

When the new wheel bearings come in, they are going to run through the engine with a fine tooth comb. The AGM is getting me the paperwork for the pre delivery inspection... the tech who replaced the transmission also was the one who did the oil change.

I honestly don't want someone fired, I am fairly pissed off at this experience but I can completely understand things happen.

They are in the works of setting up the paperwork for an engine replacement should they find anything wrong during their inspection.

They have another GT350 in there as well and are replacing that engine too.

And to answer your question I was not monitoring the oil pressure, totally dumb on my part. When I start it up it idles between 50 and 75, I assume that's normal?

I also have an appointment with another dealership on Monday to go over my car. I let them know my concerns and the service manager said they'll double check it. It's the same dealership my fiance got her Bronco Sport at, so we have a relationship its just 35 minutes from me lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

More updates to come.
50-75 oil pressure when cold seems very low to me for a Voodoo on startup. I think your engine has some main bearing wear from being run low on oil. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly though. It's been a couple years since I sold mine. I'm sure someone here will check their car and give you a number.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
It had 6 qts. Yes that is low. It is not low enough to cause an oil starvation condition unless at high RPM and high G force. Even that is unlikely with the baffled oil pan.

If the OP drove it easy there would be no engine damage from the low oil level.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Easiest wiy to find out if there could be damage is to see if code P0524 is stored in memory. If it is then I would get more aggressive on what I would call acceptable solutions.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
op were there a CEL? I've seen situations where a vehicle has VCT codes and low oil was the culprit. I think its reasonable to think that if there was enough oil to not set a light, the possibility of engine wear is low.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Here's what the factory manual says about oil, oil quantity and oil pressure:

1621107916160.png
OP stated 50-75 psi oil pressure during start up. I assume itā€™s a cold start but maybe not.
Mine is always around 110 during cold start up.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Here's what the factory manual says about oil, oil quantity and oil pressure:

1621107916160.png
I don't think oil pressure ever gets to 10-15 psi, does it? Those numbers seem really low to me.

OP stated 50-75 psi oil pressure during start up. I assume itā€™s a cold start but maybe not.
Mine is always around 110 during cold start up.
That sounds more like a cold startup pressure that I remember. Really high.

OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
op were there a CEL? I've seen situations where a vehicle has VCT codes and low oil was the culprit. I think its reasonable to think that if there was enough oil to not set a light, the possibility of engine wear is low.

No CEL at all, no warning lights or a wrench either. I'll check what the oil pressure is at on startup tomorrow morning.

There ended up being 9 3/4 quarts when they emptied it. So not full up to 10 quarts but close enough.

I'll look into the extended warranty as well, is that something I need to get through Ford or work through the dealer? I would definitely opt for a powertrain vs bumper to bumper. I already have a case opened with Ford regarding their service with my transmission, so maybe this is something I tack onto should they give me any trouble.
Sponsored