Sponsored

And the hits just keep on coming... 2017 GT350 - low/no oil possibly?

OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
2 cents worth of advice when you call. First tell them you noticed the new oil interval sticker and ask if they changed the oil. If yes ask why no indication on paperwork, why oil monitor not reset, and have them double check theirs and you need to see a copy. That should give you the info needed to ascertain if done properly. If no, then ask them to explain the new sticker, if indeed it is new?

Then inform them you're concerned because you noticed it was at least one and probably more quarts low when you got it back. Then as above suggest they tow it back and assess how low and what their/your next move is. Depending on that, might need to start a convo with Ford itself.

P.S. there is no low oil level light on this car.
P.S.S. respectfully disagree with not getting service oil changes. Just tell them it's a GT350, needs 10 quarts 5W50, and torque the filter appropriately.

Thank you! I didn't realize there wasn't a low oil light on this car... driving it only a week since I bought it 3 months ago, that is good info to know, much appreciated and now wonder I didn't get a warning light, doh!

Yeah I have the maintenance plan too, it looks like they docked a maintenance visit too (I started with 14 and my app shows 13 now which is odd, since it was only in for the warranty work but alas, this dealership has been nothing but a pain for me).

I honestly don't mind if the dealer does the oil change, however, knowing this one already botched it I will definitely be heading to another dealer (15 miles further away, which is fine by me) to do this work. I've talked with them and they service GT350/GT500's before. This dealer I've been going to even admitted they don't see these often or at all... So lack of experience, plus they are piss poor communicators and that's with the AGM on down to the 1st line supervisor, at least the tech text me updates of the status of my car and seemed like a cool dude.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Thank you! I didn't realize there wasn't a low oil light on this car... driving it only a week since I bought it 3 months ago, that is good info to know, much appreciated and now wonder I didn't get a warning light, doh!

Yeah I have the maintenance plan too, it looks like they docked a maintenance visit too (I started with 14 and my app shows 13 now which is odd, since it was only in for the warranty work but alas, this dealership has been nothing but a pain for me).

I honestly don't mind if the dealer does the oil change, however, knowing this one already botched it I will definitely be heading to another dealer (15 miles further away, which is fine by me) to do this work. I've talked with them and they service GT350/GT500's before. This dealer I've been going to even admitted they don't see these often or at all... So lack of experience, plus they are piss poor communicators and that's with the AGM on down to the 1st line supervisor, at least the tech text me updates of the status of my car and seemed like a cool dude.
What was the indication of the oil pressure and oil temperature gauges? Is the clanking constant or was it a one off noise that spooked you?

My guess, and this is purely a guess…. The person that changed your oil looked up the specs for a mustang gt oil change, not a gt350. GT’s only get 8 quarts, and it’s non synthetic. Gt350’s get 10 quarts of synthetic. This would explain why it’s not showing up on the dipstick, hasn’t exploded, and why it isn’t on your paperwork…. (Maybe they got the oil from their generic overhead oil feed line and not synthetic bottles, which means they wouldn’t have to order it from parts and assign it to a specific job.) I realize I just made a lot of assumptions here.

To find out if you’ve been running with oil and how much, you could always drain the oil into a clean/dry container…. Measure it, then dump it back into the engine.

At the very least I’d contact them tomorrow and ask the advisor how they’d like to proceed. I wouldn’t necessarily demand they tow it…. I’d also ask if you can be present when they drain the oil so you can verify with your own eyes that oil actually comes out of the engine :)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
STOP driving it and DO NOT add any oil. Call them first thing tomorrow morning, demand it be towed and demand to speak to the Dealership General Manager.

Whether the oil is low or not, that dipstick should have had some residual on it - even pulling it out of the tube.

It could be very possible they drained the oil during the whole trans repair and someone forgot to add it back, or just didn’t add enough - not enough meaning that pan has below 8qts ….more so that you’re not even getting anything at all on that dipstick….

I surely would not be diving the car - and if you add oil now, they can turn around and say “wasn’t us”….

That’s BS…

Hopefully the engine didn’t wipe the bearings, especially if you said you heard metallic clanking - not a good sign.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Sorry no engine is going to go 100 miles with no oil. Lets go to the twilight zone and say it has no oil. There will be a wrench light for low oil pressure and codes for VVT.

Back to reality, if it had no oil it would have locked up when the tech test drove it to make sure the trans was fixed.

These engines have hydraulic cam followers, if it had no oil pressure it would sound like marbles in a coffee can

He probably heard the typewriter or BBQ tick.

I was a line mechanic from 1984 till 1999 when I switched careers. I fixed anything that came in the door.

What most likely happened is the dealer gave you a complimentary oil change due to the time and repairs needed to fix your car. The tech grabbed the overhead oil dispenser and added 8 qts. Most dealers have a dedicated oil man so this mechanic might not have known about the extra 2 qts and that is is supposed to be synthetic.

I would call ask what they want to do. I would insist they put the proper amount of the proper oil at no charge to you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
STOP driving it and DO NOT add any oil. Call them first thing tomorrow morning, demand it be towed and demand to speak to the Dealership General Manager.

Whether the oil is low or not, that dipstick should have had some residual on it - even pulling it out of the tube.

It could be very possible they drained the oil during the whole trans repair and someone forgot to add it back, or just didn’t add enough - not enough meaning that pan has below 8qts ….more so that you’re not even getting anything at all on that dipstick….

I surely would not be diving the car - and if you add oil now, they can turn around and say “wasn’t us”….

That’s BS…

Hopefully the engine didn’t wipe the bearings, especially if you said you heard metallic clanking - not a good sign.
Yeah she's been parked ever since I noticed this. I called the AGM on his cell phone at 8pm EST, they are sending a flat bed tomorrow morning to pick it up and he did apologize for the Hell I've been through so far. He did mention they changed the oil but it doesn't show up in any paperwork I have.

Yeah the metal pinging sound was very noticeable today when I was coming back from the grocery store (2 mile drive) so I decided to check because in the back of my mind that oil change sticker was bugging me. Sure enough, the oil is non existent or just lower than what it should be.

It sounded very rough, the car ran fine but made this odd metallic noise I can't explain. Almost as if metallic moving components weren't lubricated properly.

Temp gauge looked fine and went up to 215Âş, I don't remember looking at the pressure as I noticed it down the side street I drive down (could hear it echo from parked cars and the houses with my windows down).

I am not going to add oil, the good thing is I don't even have oil on hand to add anyways.

@pilotgore

Is the clanking constant or was it a one off noise that spooked you? it was a clanking constant noise, at least from what I could hear driving down the side street at 20mph.

OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Sorry no engine is going to go 100 miles with no oil. Lets go to the twilight zone and say it has no oil. There will be a wrench light for low oil pressure and codes for VVT.

Back to reality, if it had no oil it would have locked up when the tech test drove it to make sure the trans was fixed.

These engines have hydraulic cam followers, if it had no oil pressure it would sound like marbles in a coffee can

He probably heard the typewriter or BBQ tick.

yeah definitely no codes thrown, the only issue I seen was a "driver mode select unavailable, service now" but that seems to be related to the low voltage i.e. alternator going bad or about to fail. Battery checked out fine.

It was an odd metallic clank and agreed if it was no oil it would have seized quickly. I didn't notice any oil in my separators either but then again I wouldn't expect it at 100 miles as I wasn't driving it hard.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
yeah definitely no codes thrown, the only issue I seen was a "driver mode select unavailable, service now" but that seems to be related to the low voltage i.e. alternator going bad or about to fail. Battery checked out fine.

It was an odd metallic clank and agreed if it was no oil it would have seized quickly. I didn't notice any oil in my separators either but then again I wouldn't expect it at 100 miles as I wasn't driving it hard.
You just can’t catch a break!

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
As a complete side note - the smart charging system on these cars won't be easily diagnosed by an Autozone. The alternator is digitally controlled to change the output voltages in real time, and would need to be diagnosed by a dealer computer or Forscan.

Sponsored
OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
So the tech who did the oil change called this morning and said the oil change included 10 quarts of oil. So if I'm already 2+ quarts low with only 100 miles since they did it then the engine is consuming oil more than the specs call for, therefore new engine.

He did say these cars consume oil though, but I had to let him know not 2 quarts every 100 miles even if I'm beating the hell out of it it would never do that.

They want to send a tech out to put oil in it then bring it in. I insisted they flat bed it, drain the oil in front of me to see how many quarts low it is. AGM to call me soon....

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If it used 2 qts in 100 miles it would smoke like a steam engine freight train. I'd say he is just doing a CYA.

Let them put oil in it and drive it, hell I'd drive it to the dealer. If it is out of oil and blows it is under warranty.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
If it used 2 qts in 100 miles it would smoke like a steam engine freight train. I'd say he is just doing a CYA.

Let them put oil in it and drive it, hell I'd drive it to the dealer. If it is out of oil and blows it is under warranty.
Agree 100% with CYA on this one.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
So the tech who did the oil change called this morning and said the oil change included 10 quarts of oil. So if I'm already 2+ quarts low with only 100 miles since they did it then the engine is consuming oil more than the specs call for, therefore new engine.

He did say these cars consume oil though, but I had to let him know not 2 quarts every 100 miles even if I'm beating the hell out of it it would never do that.

They want to send a tech out to put oil in it then bring it in. I insisted they flat bed it, drain the oil in front of me to see how many quarts low it is. AGM to call me soon....
Honestly, the motor being toast wouldn’t be a horrible thing for you, as you mentioned. Used car with a new engine, transmission, and then you’d be able to hit them up for an extended warranty….

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red

Bullshit.
Sponsored