Ancient Cars Still Roaming

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Spotted this bad boy at Rural King. These dustbusters were everywhere when I was a kid. My parents even had it’s platform mate, the Trans Sport lmao. I don’t know the last time I spotted one in the wild lol
56AF4459-E22D-4A80-A68B-366B81E44EAF.jpeg
If I could like it twice, I would. Damn those used to be like cockroaches...

My recent find

upload_2020-6-17_18-24-4.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Two for one!

upload_2020-6-17_18-25-13.jpeg

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
About a decade ago I saw a Mazda Repo pickup. Way, way cool, still had the "Rotary Power" painted on the tailgate. LOL out here in statusville, my 2015 Mustang is old. LOL most people wonder what kind of Tesla or BMW it is. I saw a Probe less than a month ago, very rare out here. Still see a decent enough crop of 80's monte carlos that are fully restored rocking air bags and such. Saw a grand national at the home depot the other day, sounded nice and mean. About 15 years ago, was sitting in traffic and saw a Skyline GT crawl past me. Full RHD and all. Funny thinking that the people next to it probably thought it was a $1000 enonocrap not knowing it was worth well over $20k.

Ahh the Fiero. My first love. Had an 86 GT, absolutely loved it. The last mid engined GM car until the C8. Way ahead of it's time and GM all but put a bullet in it with the 3 quart oil sump and the faulty connecting rods that they wouldn't put in the 2.5L Iron Duke for other platforms that shared the same engine. The 2.8L v6 was a great engine though and didn't have any of the problems the 4-banger had.

And the Corsica...I had a 1990 Beretta GTZ. Quad four, the original version that redlined over 7000 and put out 190HP. Really the start of GM's high output/modern 16V engines. Too bad people that bought it complained about the NVH and they turned it into a balance-shaft-equipped turd. The Beretta was a burnout machine. Yet got amazing mpg. The door handles really were unique.

Despite putting out a lot of junk, the cars of the 80's were really cool. So many completely different designs and manufacturers trying different things to try and learn how to get decent performance out of small engines. Think about all the cool/crazy cars:

• Yugo (Cool just because it was so crappy and from Yugoslavia)
  • Dodge/Shelby Omni GLHS
  • Dodge/Lotus Spirit
  • Chrysler Conquest TSi
  • Dodge Daytona
  • Dodge/Shelby Dakota Convertible
  • Chrysler/Maserati "TC"
  • Ford SVO mustang
  • Ford Thunderbird SVO (The one with the turbo)
  • Pontiac Trans Am (I think the trim was "40th anniversary" with the turbocharged engine)
  • Celica All-Trac turbo
  • Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000GT
  • The Aforementioned Fiero/Beretta/Grand National
  • VW GTI
  • Mercury Tracer (Can't remember the trim, but it had a turbocharged engine)

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
About 15 years ago, was sitting in traffic and saw a Skyline GT crawl past me. Full RHD and all. Funny thinking that the people next to it probably thought it was a $1000 enonocrap not knowing it was worth well over $20k.
While out on a drive in the Mustang two or three weekends ago, a black R32 or R33 (I think, based on taillights) Skyline pulled up beside me at a stoplight. Two guys in it giving me the thumbs up and telling me, "sweet car". I did a double take since I haven't seen one of those in ages, and replied back, "yours too". It was a very nice specimen.

I love old cars. I'm still looking for the right '86 SVO, but due to my crippling addiction to motorcycles I'm out of room.....

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Man those things used to be so popular in the early 90’s. Nice find.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Nastalgic YJ

upload_2020-7-29_23-8-51.jpeg

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'd love to have that Horizon above for a work DD.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The Shelby museum had a few nice examples of the GLHS Omni's. I think they were actually pretty good cars "for the time". Seemed to be a rip-off of the VW Rabbit though, which was a better car for sure.
Sponsored