Sponsored

AMSOIL or Motorcraft, which one is better?

AMSOIL or Motorcraft

• Total voters

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was joking kind of. Mc isn’t bad oil. But they are not equal. Amsoil is a blender, but they blend more detergents than anyone into their formulation. That’s why they advertise it as 25,000 mileage oil. But filters are 15k

I cannot see motorcraft every offering that longevity.

There is barely any difference in cost

Mc is like 8 dollars cheaper for a pack of 12 quarts than amsoil SS.
It seems foolish to me for a person to leave 25,000 miles worth of dirt in their oil. I don't care how good the oil is, if it's full of dirt it won't protect your engine as well. If you use a less expensive oil and change it more frequently you will be better off.

I feel that’s pure waste. Poor dinosaur bodies. I’d assume a minimum of 5k on any high quality oil in a 350. Curious what’s manual state using MC recommended oil on mileage? 5k or 1 year if I had to guess?
Oil that is disposed of properly gets recycled, so it's not really a waste. Do you skip washing your hands to prevent wasting water?

The manual says to use the intelligent oil life monitor system in the car to determine when the car needs oil changes, and that the oil change intervals can be as long as 10,000 miles or 1 year. The manual also says to change the oil before and after every track event.

I think that automobile manufacturers are recommending service intervals that are too long. They believe that customers don't want service intervals to be very frequent, and they know the car will outlast its warranty. My opinion is 10,000 miles is far too long of an oil change interval.

Most people who pull that argument about r&d never worked as an engineer or in production.

It's all made/designed to a spec/price point and that desired result from the company is not usually reliability first.
I agree with this. Ford just needs the engine to outlast the warranty. But even though I believe MotorCraft oil is made to a price point, I still think that it's plenty good enough to protect an engine from wear for many years and hundreds of thousands of miles. Dependent upon how the engine is used, of course.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...I think that automobile manufacturers are recommending service intervals that are too long. They believe that customers don't want service intervals to be very frequent, and they know the car will outlast its warranty. My opinion is 10,000 miles is far too long of an oil change interval...
We all used to think that 3,000 miles on an engine with a 4 quart sump was just fine. Now we have massive 10 quart sumps, so going longer makes sense. Simple math based on 3k/4qts makes 10 quarts last 7,500 miles, so going up to 10,000 isn't much of a stretch. Besides, having run my OLM to 0 a few times in the last decade, I've never got close to 10,000 miles. The best I ever did was somewhere around 8k or so.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
How hard the car is driven is in play also . Keep track of the oil color aslo.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
We all used to think that 3,000 miles on an engine with a 4 quart sump was just fine. Now we have massive 10 quart sumps, so going longer makes sense. Simple math based on 3k/4qts makes 10 quarts last 7,500 miles, so going up to 10,000 isn't much of a stretch. Besides, having run my OLM to 0 a few times in the last decade, I've never got close to 10,000 miles. The best I ever did was somewhere around 8k or so.
I think that the quantity of oil in the engine makes no difference. The engine has more oil in it because the oil is being used for more things. It's not like there's "extra" oil in there that isn't being used.

If you want, you could include things like power production, RPM, max temperature, pressure, etc. into your maths to decide how much dirt is getting into the oil and how hard the oil is being used when compared to an older engine with a smaller sump. I also think an older engine can function fine with a little more sludge when compared to a modern engine that has all kinds of small passages and hydraulic mechanisms.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Most people who pull that argument about r&d never worked as an engineer or in production.

It's all made/designed to a spec/price point and that desired result from the company is not usually reliability first.
I'm just going off of people I know who have worked at two different major auto manufacturers, a company that produces military combat vehicles, and two different airplane manufacturers. All of those guys are engineers. Served with every one of them.

One of them worked for the high performance division of GM for a good while. He related plenty of situations where the price point changed during the design phase, and exactly what I stated - where production staff made changes to fasteners and sub-assemblies for various reasons (All of them to save $$$ - whether they already had this certain part used for other vehicles etc) and many of those substitutions ended up causing TSBs to get issued because of problems.

I won't relay the stories my good friend who worked on various military aircraft designs has told me over the years. It's the internet, anyone can say anything - but these are men I know personally, people I consider family - so I trust them.

It is what it is.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm just going off of people I know who have worked at two different major auto manufacturers, a company that produces military combat vehicles, and two different airplane manufacturers. All of those guys are engineers. Served with every one of them.

One of them worked for the high performance division of GM for a good while. He related plenty of situations where the price point changed during the design phase, and exactly what I stated - where production staff made changes to fasteners and sub-assemblies for various reasons (All of them to save $$$ - whether they already had this certain part used for other vehicles etc) and many of those substitutions ended up causing TSBs to get issued because of problems.

I won't relay the stories my good friend who worked on various military aircraft designs has told me over the years. It's the internet, anyone can say anything - but these are men I know personally, people I consider family - so I trust them.

It is what it is.
And this is why I keep pushing back on the narrative about the supposed "Gen 2 Voodoo". Dozens of changes have been made to the Voodoo since the 2015 MY. We, out here in internet-land, have no idea which ones made the engine cheaper to produce and which ones made the warranty cheaper to deliver. Regardless, according to Ford, none of them made the engine more powerful.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
All these "opinions" on here.. speculations.. and the "I think"s..

If you haven't used Blackstone to get an oil analysis done then you don't have any factual information. I've posted in a different thread on here once. I do them regularly and always follow the IOLM of the vehicle. When it tells me to change it soon, I do and I send a sample to Blackstone.

EVERY sample I have ever sent has said I have at least 2,000-3,000 miles more life on the oil before the protection factors start to disappear. The IOLM is very conservative and actually tells us to change sooner based on every test I've sent. I have never extended the oil change interval longer to test it out because there is no need. My comfort is that I can follow what the car says and not worry.

This above, is factual info.. not opinion or I think this or my feeling is that.

Now if you want to change it sooner, go ahead, but I hate seeing people post crap like, change it sooner, it's dirty, it is cheap insurance.. it's this, it's that etc.

Disclaimer - If you are tracking your car, throw out everything I said above as that is a game changer. But as a DD vehicle, follow the IOLM.

Last edited:

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
These are the test results from my first oil. MC 5w50.
Screenshot_20210525-195206_Office.jpg

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I feel that’s pure waste. Poor dinosaur bodies. I’d assume a minimum of 5k on any high quality oil in a 350. Curious what’s manual state using MC recommended oil on mileage? 5k or 1 year if I had to guess?
You sound like you've been hook line and suckered by Amsoil. I would also, never buy a car from you. Maintenance is clearly not important to you.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
You sound like you've been hook line and suckered by Amsoil. I would also, never buy a car from you. Maintenance is clearly not important to you.
lol, you really don't think you should/could get at least 5k miles or 1 year out of mc oil for street driving???

Sponsored

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I would never, ever, go 5k miles between oil changes. But I care about my engine so that's just me.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
absolute waste. a good quality oil can go way beyond 5k, 10k minimum now a day oils.
I mean, a cheap oil, yeah 5k. but a quality oil, 10k is fine,

now if you track the car for long periods of time, you should do the track intervals. I dont know what those are.

for daily drivers, I dont believe any properly running engine can trash high quality oil in 5k miles

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Never had a 5k analysis done. Maybe if I did I wouldn't change my oil so often.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Never had a 5k analysis done. Maybe if I did I wouldn't change my oil so often.
tell ya what, I feel confident in my statement, if you decide to do a 5k analysis on whatever high quality oil you are running, I will chip in a few bucks at your oil analysis just for the heck of it. get the TBN part of it.

just go to Blackstone labs, do the request thing, they mail you a little vial, and next oil change you fill it up, but let the oil flow first for a moment, then catch the stream into bottle. fill r up, and send it out its free shipping.

id be interested to hear your results/opinions after you see the numbers. Get the TBN though, it is what tells you a more breakdown/deteregents etc

these aren't our grandparents oils, these are super refined/full synthetic oils with much better properties overall.
Sponsored