Sponsored

AMSOIL or Motorcraft, which one is better?

AMSOIL or Motorcraft

• Total voters
OP
OP
yosv0610

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
I feel that’s pure waste. Poor dinosaur bodies. I’d assume a minimum of 5k on any high quality oil in a 350. Curious what’s manual state using MC recommended oil on mileage? 5k or 1 year if I had to guess?

I probably will go for 1 year, I’m not putting too many miles on it. 🤫😉
Sponsored

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Amsoil is a blender, but they blend more detergents than anyone into their formulation.
You'd benefit from some time reading up on formulations on BITOG. Lots of folks there with lots of information. Thing is, not all additives show up in a Blackstone analysis. Starting with API SN/GF 5, the demands for cleanliness and low phosphorus forced blenders to use different and more expensive additives that were based on organic compounds in their finished oils. Blackstone doesn't detect those additives, so some oils look "weak" and under-additized, when in fact they meet tougher testing requirements than oils with lots of the usual chemicals.

You might also take a look at https://pqia.org/. It's an industry-funded institute that tests oils bought off of store shelves to make sure they really meet spec. It's like the video guy's test, except it's done in a standardized basis and offers a lot more information about a lot more oils.

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
The same company that pays millions in R&D, and then bean counters switch out a $1 bolt for a .25 cent plastic insert to save $? Not just Ford by the way.

You know what they realize that most people here won't admit? Most owners don't keep their car long enough to wear the engine out........so as long as you change the oil and filter fairly regularly and don't run it out of oil............
Most people who pull that argument about r&d never worked as an engineer or in production.

It's all made/designed to a spec/price point and that desired result from the company is not usually reliability first.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
By the way, the Service Manager of my Ford dealership told me that they use only Motorcraft and he recommends MC. This guy knows a lot about Mustangs.
I find your comments very interesting and also quite confusing based on you asking this forum for our comments/feedback when it comes to Motorcraft engine oil versus Amsoil motor oil and then you come up with the above statement.

What did you expect your local Ford Service Manager to say and that is that he recommends Amsoil over Motorcraft oil for our FPC engines especially when he works for a Ford dealership?

A great number of our forum members probably know a lot more about Mustang/GT350/R's than your Ford Service Manager and that includes dealing with engine oil therefore do you think that all of our opinions are wrong based on your poll which clearly states that most of our informed members are in favor of Amsoil over Motorcraft oil?

Also suggest that changing your oil every 3000 miles is certainly not neccessary unless that is all the miles that you put on your car each year.

:sunglasses:

OP
OP
yosv0610

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
I find your comments very interesting and also quite confusing based on you asking this forum for our comments/feedback when it comes to Motorcraft engine oil versus Amsoil motor oil and then you come up with the above statement.

What did you expect your local Ford Service Manager to say and that is that he recommends Amsoil over Motorcraft oil for our FPC engines especially when he works for a Ford dealership?

A great number of our forum members probably know a lot more about Mustang/GT350/R's than your Ford Service Manager and that includes dealing with engine oil therefore do you think that all of our opinions are wrong based on your poll which clearly states that most of our informed members are in favor of Amsoil over Motorcraft oil?

Also suggest that changing your oil every 3000 miles is certainly not neccessary unless that is all the miles that you put on your car each year.

:sunglasses:

What bothered you from my comment? Somebody wrote that he would ask to same person in his dealer. So I asked mine.
Your comments, for sure, are more important for me, if not, I wouldn’t have started a thread, and I know there is a bunch of guys here that have more knowledge that this manager, it was just a comment, that’s all.
One more time, I appreciate all your feedbacks.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
What bothered you from my comment? Somebody wrote that he would ask to same person in his dealer. So I asked mine.
Your comments, for sure, are more important for me, if not, I wouldn’t have started a thread, and I know there is a bunch of guys here that have more knowledge that this manager, it was just a comment, that’s all.
One more time, I appreciate all your feedbacks.
Trust me, most Ford Service Manager's have very limited knowledge and experience when it comes to your FPC Shelby GT350R therefore I would take most of their comments with a grain of salt.

Again based on your Post #1 which asks which oil we would choose for your upcoming oil change I suggest that the poll clearly states which oil is the clear choice of our members.

:wink:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Trust me, most Ford Service Manager's have very limited knowledge and experience when it comes to your FPC Shelby GT350R therefore I would take most of their comments with a grain of salt.

Again based on your Post #1 which asks which oil we would choose for your upcoming oil change I suggest that the poll clearly states which oil is the clear choice of our members.

:wink:
It's a clear choice of the members who responded. Like any poll, there's a bias in the outcome - people who use and like Amsoil stood up to be counted. Those who thought "Not again! Not another one of these dumb oil polls!" didn't bother to respond.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Maybe worth mentioning here...
the guys that did the work on my car are
a very reputable mustang shop, 25+ years in business, with a lot of experience with these cars. The owner has a ‘16 gt350, whipplecharged with over 60000kms.
He uses Ford oil.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
It's a clear choice of the members who responded. Like any poll, there's a bias in the outcome - people who use and like Amsoil stood up to be counted. Those who thought "Not again! Not another one of these dumb oil polls!" didn't bother to respond.
So just to be clear are you suggesting that only the Amsoil enthusiasts stood up to be counted on this poll and the Motorcraft enthusiasts just looked the other way?

I agree that there's a bias in any outcome but to suggest that most loyal Motorcraft enthusiasts avoided to respond to this poll due to growing frustration is pure conjecture.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So just to be clear are you suggesting that only the Amsoil enthusiasts stood up to be counted on this poll and the Motorcraft enthusiasts just looked the other way?

I agree that there's a bias in any outcome but to suggest that most loyal Motorcraft enthusiasts avoided to respond to this poll due to growing frustration is pure conjecture.
Amsoil has loyal enthusiasts who believe that the product is superior and they're always happy to stand up and be counted. They've accepted the marketing narrative that OEM brands are cheap crap built to a cost point, while specialty brands are built to the highest quality standards where cost is not a consideration.

Where does that leave the "loyal Motorcraft enthusiasts"? Well, I'm not sure that such a group even exists. Many Motorcraft users may not even know that they're Motorcraft users because the dealer puts the oil in and the car runs fine. Many of the rest choose it to protect their warranty. Does this crowd take pride in using Motorcraft? I doubt it. My "pure conjecture" is that they don't even care enough to look at this thread, much less vote in it.

Sponsored

Crashjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 2500, 2015 JK, 1970 Mach1
My GT350 got MC oil, why, did not want to fight ford on warranty also did not race the car. My f150 that I drove a ton of miles on got Amsoil, oil changed every 15k miles, partly because I was lazy, it was a work truck, blackstone results come back fine. Amsoil has it's place but is not the end all be all oil for everybody/every application.

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I run redline 5w-50 and have no issues. But like JAJ said, Bob is the Oil guy is a wealth of info on any and all oils. You can lose months of your life to that site...

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
You'd benefit from some time reading up on formulations on BITOG. Lots of folks there with lots of information. Thing is, not all additives show up in a Blackstone analysis. Starting with API SN/GF 5, the demands for cleanliness and low phosphorus forced blenders to use different and more expensive additives that were based on organic compounds in their finished oils. Blackstone doesn't detect those additives, so some oils look "weak" and under-additized, when in fact they meet tougher testing requirements than oils with lots of the usual chemicals.

You might also take a look at https://pqia.org/. It's an industry-funded institute that tests oils bought off of store shelves to make sure they really meet spec. It's like the video guy's test, except it's done in a standardized basis and offers a lot more information about a lot more oils.
Interesting that it shows no test of Amzoil

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
The pgia site also doesn't show that they have tested Redline from what I can see. In several places they reference 'off the shelf' oils that they test. Since Amsoil is not sold in stores, or through Amazon, my guess is that is why their products are not tested.
Correction: Looking more closely, they have tested 3 of Amsoil's auto oils. The results can be found on the site.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yosv0610

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
Hey guys! The oil report of my engine arrived today, seems like I have done a good breaking engine procedure. Hope my engine keeps doing better and better.
98AF6434-9051-42CD-AF28-0C37EA8431D3.jpeg
Sponsored