Sponsored

AMSOIL or Motorcraft, which one is better?

AMSOIL or Motorcraft

• Total voters

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Actually, there are plenty of BS UOAs posted here and on numerous FB 350 pages (again, do your own research). As for SS not meeting API, there are formulation requirements that Amsoil doesn't meet, that in no way means it's not a better oil, it just doesn't conform to their standards. You can see numerous YT videos or head on over to BITOG. I've done my due diligence in regards to choosing my erl. Lastly, You answered the question in regards to synthetics for yourself in your first para.
I want to be clear on two points: first, I'm not criticizing you for your choice of Amsoil. Second, I didn't say that Amsoil products are in any way inferior or that they don't meet API or GM or Ford specs. There's just no data, one way or the other.

What puts me off about Amsoil is that they use marketing language that convinces innocent people that they meet industry specs without providing a shred of independent evidence. In essence, they put a shroud of mystery over their product's performance, and then claim that their secret sauce is so superior that those tawdry standards that were written for inferior beings with inferior cars just don't matter. It's malarkey. Now, the products actually do work pretty much as advertised, so if you use them, nothing bad will happen.

As for the UOA stuff, I've done them for 15 years, I spent 10 of those years on BITOG and I was an early Dyson Analysis client. I've also, at one point or another, read through pretty much every new oil spec since 2001 - ACEA, API and ILSAC - and I've purchased all the WSS Ford lube specs for all of the Ford vehicles in the family fleet. I don't claim to be an expert in oils, just a well-informed consumer. Lastly, if there are Amsoil 5w50 UOA on FaceBook, Google can't find them and I'm not ever going to be a FB member, so that's it for that.
Sponsored

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I'm not wading into this pool without a life preserver. Only my opinion, YMMV, yada, yada, yada.
I believe the Amsoil SS uses better base stocks than the Motorcraft product, but being a 5W-50 means it's full of viscosity modifiers that break down with heat. I didn't read the whole thread, so I'll assume the Motorcraft product has a similar VM package if it is a 5W-50. Everyone's driving style and oil needs are different so no one oil is best for everyone. If your GT350 is a garage queen that sees 3k miles per year and never hits a road course, then run the cheapest oil that meets Ford specs and call it a day. If you are a track junkie, then I would assume you know enough not to run either of those two oils unless you change it once a weekend.
My wife's Explorer Sport with 140k miles has 5W-30 Amsoil SS in it and I change at 10k miles. My Ecoboost has a secret sauce of 60% Redline 10W-30 and 40% Redline 20W Race and gets changed at 5k to 6k miles. The Redline is unnecessary, but I like to pretend I'm still going to the track regularly. My car would be fine running any of the off the shelf 5W-30s and a 7500 mile interval.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Big ass argument about oil, but then

If any "high quality oil" can go 10k miles (which it surely can) why do you preach on and on about Amsoil?
I was talking about extended even past 10k

Amsoil sig is rated 25k. I do 15k in my cars, because oil filter is only good 15k or I’d go 25k. If I was under car I’m doing oil change as I pay for a lift to do it.

10k is fine for good oils, 10k is just breaking in amsoil sig. this is for my car, just took snap with phone.

Pretty sure all weights of sig are 25k

So people doing 3-5k on ss is even more waste lol

It doesn’t cost more than motorcraft but like 1 bucks a quart. With membership it’s like 10 a quart

I’ve been using them in my cars and motorcycles and equipment with zero failure. Itl be equal and more to many oils.
3400F42D-0BD7-47D0-98A1-7FC0032748AA.jpeg

Sponsored

2020VUDU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I did a 10k basic maintenance service on my GT350. I replaced engine oil, transmission and differential fluids using Amsoil products. I’m very impressed how much my car run smother and quieter. For now, I’m sticking with this brand.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
If i have the extra loot, AMSOIL... if not, Motorcraft 5W50 full synthetic. Id even go with Castrol.
Anthony

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Use any brand name synthetic changed at regular intervals (not extended) and something will break or fail related to a non oil issue 10 times over before you have an oil related issue. Beyond that use whatever makes you feel comfortable with, smells nice or has the prettiest packaging.

EDIT engine wise at least, there are some good threads about oils that work with the 6 speed gearbox but thats more about additive packages and how shockingly bad the 6 speed is