SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
It's a huge disappointment to me too because it looks exactly like what it should...

...a car that SHOULD have came out in 2017. A DCT and HP bump over the ZL1, which is entering its 3rd model year, doesn't make for much excitement.

That being said, the deal breaker for me is we are well into the second year of the 2018+ refresh, yet here we are with the flagship Mustang sporting heavy/bulky looking boy-racer body work on 4 year old styling. It looks a GT350 with a body kit you would find on Need For Speed. Let's be honest here -- if any other company did that, we would all be saying how shitty that was... This is likely a $70k+ car, and the fact they couldn't work with the current styling, and differentiate it more from their 4 year old $60k+ car that is based on the 15-17 front end is pathetic IMO.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest disappointment to me is just how long it took. Its a cool car and all, but I don't see exactly what made this car take 5 years more than the GT350 to do.

Another thing, why are we expecting this car to be so good? Is there anything that's been mentioned as being significantly different suspension-wise than the GT350R other than the revised knuckles to prevent tramlining? Otherwise, it seems to be an automatic GT350 with extreme aero and a less cool engine. The GT350 already has trouble keeping up with the standard ZL1... I'm not sure more power and some aero will be quite enough to beat a ZL1 1LE, and it CERTAINLY won't be enough to beat the ZR1 engine'd, carbon ceramic brake'd Camaro that's rumored to be coming soon.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
It's a huge disappointment to me too because it looks exactly like what it should...

...a car that SHOULD have came out in 2017. A DCT and HP bump over the ZL1, which is entering its 3rd model year, doesn't make for much excitement.

That being said, the deal breaker for me is we are well into the second year of the 2018+ refresh, yet here we are with the flagship Mustang sporting heavy/bulky looking boy-racer body work on 4 year old styling. It looks a GT350 with a body kit you would find on Need For Speed. Let's be honest here -- if any other company did that, we would all be saying how shitty that was... This is likely a $70k+ car, and the fact they couldn't work with the current styling, and differentiate it more from their 4 year old $60k+ car that is based on the 15-17 front end is pathetic IMO.
Lambo boys feel the same.....
Guess which is the 14 and which is the 19
And the stang still doesn't have scissor doors either or a door pocket for my light saber ...how dare they bring it market
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
wait lambo's have a pocket for a light saber? time to sell my house.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

I love that it kept the headlights and other styling cues from the 15-17 cars. Love the boy racer vibe! Much of what I see is money spent on the name and tacked on styling. But it works for the street racing crowd/scene. Itā€™s a pity they canā€™t market the thing properly in a real ricer crowd with an old fart thumbing his nose at them with this thing. They canā€™t because of the whole PC atmosphere though.

I get it for the first time...

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Donā€™t forget this car didnā€™t receive the DI/PI updates to the third gen coyote family. Itā€™s more of a second gen setup. So engine from 2015 too..

Iā€™m not disappointed, but Iā€™m not thrilled.

Iā€™m liking the 10.8@133 so far. I estimated it would be right around there months ago. Itā€™ll basically be a hair faster than an NA GT3 RS. Blazing quick really if you think about it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The biggest disappointment to me is just how long it took. Its a cool car and all, but I don't see exactly what made this car take 5 years more than the GT350 to do.

Another thing, why are we expecting this car to be so good? Is there anything that's been mentioned as being significantly different suspension-wise than the GT350R other than the revised knuckles to prevent tramlining? Otherwise, it seems to be an automatic GT350 with extreme aero and a less cool engine. The GT350 already has trouble keeping up with the standard ZL1... I'm not sure more power and some aero will be quite enough to beat a ZL1 1LE, and it CERTAINLY won't be enough to beat the ZR1 engine'd, carbon ceramic brake'd Camaro that's rumored to be coming soon.
My guess why the GT500 wasn't released sooner would be there was no reason to release it sooner. The GT350 is so great that it has worked fine as a halo car. They had the GT500 but didn't need it. Mustang has been selling great - it's leading the competition. And the GT350R is still commanding ADMs in many cases.

That's why Camaro keeps changing, releasing, modding - they are trying to boost sales. But it isn't working due to the major flaws they all have in visibility, etc.

And the GT350R is almost as quick as the ZL1 - even down 125 HP. It's hard to imagine the GT500 won't absolutely crush the ZL1.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I understand your point of view, but the refresh was for the masses who desire change to keep the model fresh in their minds. This car was designed for performance, so to that end it will use the carbon fiber composite bones from the GT350 front end. The refreshed front end does not bolt on to that according to Ford. There's an interview with an engineer somewhere out there explaining this. Sure they could have redeveloped it, but.....money.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
My guess why the GT500 wasn't released sooner would be there was no reason to release it sooner. The GT350 is so great that it has worked fine as a halo car. They had the GT500 but didn't need it. Mustang has been selling great - it's leading the competition. And the GT350R is still commanding ADMs in many cases.

That's why Camaro keeps changing, releasing, modding - they are trying to boost sales. But it isn't working due to the major flaws they all have in visibility, etc.

And the GT350R is almost as quick as the ZL1 - even down 125 HP. It's hard to imagine the GT500 won't absolutely crush the ZL1.
Not sure I see where the Camaro has been "changing, releasing, modding"....
SS released in 2015 for 2016 model year. Unchanged until 2019 MY, per product plan. Drivetrain stays same since May 2015. ***EDIT*** Forgot that 2019 replaced 8AT with 10AT ****
ZL1 released in 2017 MY as planned. Only taillights changed in 2019 to be common with other models getting same taillight change. No drivetrain changes.
ZL1 1LE released in 2018 MY as planned. Only taillights changed in 2019 to be common with other models getting same taillight change. No drivetrain changes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo

Have to agree 100%. Waited (how long) for the unveiling and this is what they give us? The only big deal is the DCT which many will refuse to buy. (me included). Total disappointment.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
From a purely technological standpoint I am rather impressed with the 2020 GT500. From a political perspective I find it even more impressive given who is running the show now at Ford and the fact that this one made the cut and wasn't killed. And on a personal level I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Batmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X
as some of you mentioned their disappointment itā€˜s the same to me :
Totally unlogical and the only manufacturer who is releasing a car with old elements after a facelift...
Time schedule might be explainable for the technical side, but not for the design
Surprising to me that they now made an AT, being missed on GT350 and Bullitt, which should be an option anyway

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Totally unlogical and the only manufacturer who is releasing a car with old elements after a facelift...
Time schedule might be explainable for the technical side, but not for the design
Surprising to me that they now made an AT, being missed on GT350 and Bullitt, which should be an option anyway

That is subjective as I like the pre-facelift design. Most didnā€™t have an issue with the rear lights but many didnā€™t like the front end. So much so it might slow sales. So they played it safe. Nothing wrong there.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I would not want to see any new Shelby with that hideous 2018 refresh front end. The GT350 front end is perfect for the car and I see no reason to add those squinty headlights to a halo car.
Sponsored