Sponsored

Am I the only who is disappointed?

Aliaszero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Well, let's look at the GTR as a 1/4mi comparison for this. At best, the GTR has run a 10.7 1/4 mile bone stock. It's around the same weight as the new GT500, same transmission type, with similar shift speeds. AWD, but down on HP, so where the GTR will be faster in the 60ft, I'll bet the GT500 will make up for it on the back half of the track. I'm saying these cars will be more along the lines as neck and neck 1/4 mile performers.

The NSX also performs very equally in the straight. Maybe the Shelbys hero pass average will be a tenth or so quicker, than the other two mentioned cars.
agreed. i think will be a high 10 second car.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I have a hard time believing the GT500 runs 10.6 on street tires. Negative DA under sea level I can see a 10.9

A bone stock Hellcat A8 runs 10.8 on drag radials, a Red Eye on DR's has run 10.5

I haven't read all the responses, but I'm disappointed, but not surprised. Look how long Ford has been talking about a GT500. They weren't going to release the car when the Demon came out (no chance at beating it in the 1320) and they weren't ready to face a ZL1 1LE on track. I'm hoping the GT500 comes out and is a road course track monster so it fuels the HP wars:

From what has been reported, Chevy is already testing a ZL1 with the LT5 - for the new Z28.

I meant 10.6 to 10.8 at best. This car is set-up for a road course, not 1320.

1320 is a completely different animal. Same way the Demon can't TURN, lol. It runs 1320 feet, FAST!

I've seen plenty of bone-stock Demons run under 10.5.

GM has told both Camaro and Corvette departments that anything goes, incl using any engine GM makes. At some point, they will drop the LT5 (755HP) into the ZL1.

Traction is a bitch for almost any RWD car once you get over 600HP.

I see plenty of Hellcats lose to much lower HP cars like the Mustang and the Camaro cause they spin their tires halfway down the track.

This GT will be a cool looking street car with 720HP+ that will compete, but maybe not beat the ZL1. But the Camaro looks like crap.
Probably for Gen 7 consideration. When Al O. moved and Mark Dickens replaced him, it was stated that Gen 6 model rollout was complete, ie - don’t hold your breath for a Z/28. Actually, I was surprised that ZL1 1LE wasn’t called Z/28.

It would make a lot of sense for the Gen 7 ZL1 to take the LT5. C6 ZR1 had the LT4, but when Corvette went C7, that engine went to Z06, CTS-V, and ZL1 and LT5 was developed for C7 ZR1. No reason to believe the same thing won’t happen with C8, especially given that LT5 will likely not package mid-engine.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
It WILL be a 10 second car. that is not up for debate. HOW DEEP into 10's, and how HIGH into the 130's is going to depend on weight and tires.
We know this, because we already have a metric that we can use, that is as close as possible right now..

V8 / RWD / 7spd DCT / supercharged / 93 octane / 3600lbs+driver Driven from the Dynojet dyno at PSIProformance in PA, to Atco .

Now your telling me that an iconic drag racing company, with an iconic drag racing car, a larger engine with a waaay broader and higher powerband, and 10years of tech advancement, can't mimic this?
gt500.jpg

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Where'd you see that?
on another forum, specifically it was 10.83 at 133mph. and with more Tuning (like ford says they are doing), it should do better. I'm sure there will be hero runs when in the hands of consumers, lower than 10.7

Aliaszero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Not quite sure where I ever said a Hellcat could compete with a ZL1 or a GT500 on a road course. I merely commented that it didn't embarrass itself against S550's, SS Camaro's (even a 1LE), and a few Vette's that day. I have no idea what may have been done to the car, but he was running with all of those cars for twenty minute sessions and was giving up very little if any to them. I was actually a little bit in awe as I'd always heard how much of a pig they were on track. A lot of it could have been driver skill compared to the rest, who knows. But, it certainly wasn't what I'd consider to be an embarrassment.
i suppose calling a hellcat slow around a road course is criminal. It's probably about as fast as a PP1 GT 10 speed car around a track which is 5-6 seconds slow than a 350R haha.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Even "if" it had 800HP, it still wouldn't run 10.2

If it had 1,000HP it still wouldn't run under 10.2. Do you realize all the mods Dodge had to put into the Demon to handle that 840HP and get the suspension correct?

720, 750, 799, won't make any difference. This car will run 10.6 to 10.8 when it hits the track.
Hello ray of sunshine, that was my guess with 800HP and a drag pack option. Doesn't look like any sort of drag pack option is available does it? Boy, you really are a troll. Get a life sunshine.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
When was the last time you saw a Demon or a Hellcat on a road course? That would be hilarious and an absolute embarrassment to the Mopar execs and enthusiasts,

:wink:
Funny, because at Lightning Lap this year, a Hellkitten widebody put down a lap time a FULL 6 SECONDS SLOWER than a little PP2 mustang GT

The GT350 wasn't/isn't great, huh? I would just say that most car reviewers disagree with you. Yes, the ZL1 with 125 more HP was slightly faster on the road course, but the reviewers said they would prefer the Ford. And the ZL1 1LE was even faster, but very difficult to live with. The GT350R was said to be amazing and it won PCOTY, best driver's car, etc. So you want to say the largest displacement FPC V8 ever made is stale now after 3-4 years. Maybe it is to you, but for many people it isn't.

I want a transaxle too. That would be terrific. But we all have to keep it real. It's a Mustang and we want to pay a Mustang price for it. In order to make money Ford wants to keep costs down while beating the competition. Prices are already getting up there in my opinion.
Whoa now, don't get your ego too bruised up! Yes, it was an excellent car to drive. But ultimately, the standard ZL1 is still faster than the most track focused variant of the Mustang. Yes, the reviewers said they'd prefer the Ford, yet I doubt that would be the case with the 1LE as the car is just BRUTALLY fast. So, saying "people like it though" doesn't change the fact that the R just can't hang with the ZL1 1LE. Saying "But the ZL1 has more power!" is a weak excuse. That means we should ask for more power, not wish the ZL1 had less.

I know a transaxle is a long shot, but still, it was an example of what Ford could've been doing with the 3 year hiatus rather than just releasing a car that'll probably be outdone within a year of its release. Either way, we're going to need a transaxle in the next gen if the rumors are true... Over in the GM camp, they're saying that since the mid engine Corvette is coming, the new Camaro is going to be built to fill the gap where the C7 vette used to be. I'd bet money that the next gen Camaro is going to have a transaxle

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Funny, because at Lightning Lap this year, a Hellkitten widebody put down a lap time a FULL 6 SECONDS SLOWER than a little PP2 mustang GT

Whoa now, don't get your ego too bruised up! Yes, it was an excellent car to drive. But ultimately, the standard ZL1 is still faster than the most track focused variant of the Mustang. Yes, the reviewers said they'd prefer the Ford, yet I doubt that would be the case with the 1LE as the car is just BRUTALLY fast. So, saying "people like it though" doesn't change the fact that the R just can't hang with the ZL1 1LE. Saying "But the ZL1 has more power!" is a weak excuse. That means we should ask for more power, not wish the ZL1 had less.

I know a transaxle is a long shot, but still, it was an example of what Ford could've been doing with the 3 year hiatus rather than just releasing a car that'll probably be outdone within a year of its release. Either way, we're going to need a transaxle in the next gen if the rumors are true... Over in the GM camp, they're saying that since the mid engine Corvette is coming, the new Camaro is going to be built to fill the gap where the C7 vette used to be. I'd bet money that the next gen Camaro is going to have a transaxle
There’s only a few over there saying that. They’re just saying it a lot :crackup: Most of us don’t follow that line of thought. It is more likely that Camaro will work more at grabbing back some of the lower priced volume that EcoBoost is snatching away. That was the whole point of Al O.’s “eating our lunch” statement. He was talking about why the 2019 refresh focused more on the LT and RS trims and why a 1LE was added to the 2.0T. SS is selling well enough. ZL1 is selling at projected levels. V6 and 2.0T not so much.

Going to a transaxle approach for CA7 would mean walking away from the Alpha architecture. That ain’t happenin’. I don’t bet, but I’d wager my pink slip on that one. I wouldn’t be surprised to see LT5 included in the CA7 ZL1, but I would not expect to see a wholesale up-market shift for Camaro when C8 arrives. Similar to how CA6 got the C6 ZR1 engine when Corvette went to C7.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Hello ray of sunshine, that was my guess with 800HP and a drag pack option. Doesn't look like any sort of drag pack option is available does it? Boy, you really are a troll. Get a life sunshine.
Sure have to chuckle at some of the posts listed by a couple of so called members on our forum.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I get it that you are saying that you don't care which car is more enjoyable to drive and you just want the performance number. You are hard core that way and nothing else matters to you.

And the GT350 and GT350R are great cars to drive. Still are and always will be - at least for my foreseeable future.

My ego isn't bruised. I fully admit that with 125 extra HP the ZL1 is slightly faster than the GT350R and that the kidney-bruising ZL1-1LE is even faster. That's the thing about performance cars - someone is always going to be faster. It's really not a big deal.

You are portraying a completely one-dimensional view of the cars, though. If you think a Camaro is great, you should buy one. It will be easy and you can get them under MSRP. Because regardless of that one number that you are laser-focused on, those Camaros just aren't as enjoyable to drive.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Sure have to chuckle at some of the posts listed by a couple of so called members on our forum.

I admit, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and I may be wrong more than right, but it's all supposed to be friendly speculation, not so the case in many attitudes.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
It WILL be a 10 second car. that is not up for debate. HOW DEEP into 10's, and how HIGH into the 130's is going to depend on weight and tires.
We know this, because we already have a metric that we can use, that is as close as possible right now..

V8 / RWD / 7spd DCT / supercharged / 93 octane / 3600lbs+driver Driven from the Dynojet dyno at PSIProformance in PA, to Atco .

Now your telling me that an iconic drag racing company, with an iconic drag racing car, a larger engine with a waaay broader and higher powerband, and 10years of tech advancement, can't mimic this?
gt500.jpg
We know the tires already. The stock rubber are MP4S, and in the street they won’t hook that well. The track pack has special cups, which may be worse yet for straight line work.

Weight is up in the air. I expect a 300lb increase over the respective models. IE:

350 track 3800
350R 3700

You can math it from there.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
We know the tires already. The stock rubber are MP4S, and in the street they won’t hook that well. The track pack has special cups, which may be worse yet for straight line work.

Weight is up in the air. I expect a 300lb increase over the respective models. IE:

350 track 3800
350R 3700

You can math it from there.
MPH/weight calculator I've used, this car has around 770HP so far. That's going off 4300 lbs (160 lb driver and fuel) with a 133MPH quarter. with some good meat out back (DRs) it should do rather well, just how well, I think, is based on how the dct does off the line.
Sponsored