Sponsored

Am I the only Tuned ecoboost will full warranty?

Flipping Bird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Ecoboost Mustang 6MT
I have a 17 6mt ecoboost, all cobb FBO car running cobb ost stage 3 tunes. I have full factory warranty at the dealer I purchased at (only) in writing. The dealer is 200 miles from my house. If I blow the motor, I will have to tow it to the dealer, but I will get taken care of. Am I the only one?
Sponsored

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
Is this a warranty given by the dealer?

OP
OP

Flipping Bird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Is this a warranty given by the dealer?
It's a Ford dealer in Kansas. I have all paperwork. Full factory warranty, honored at this dealer only. I purchased the car there (new) in July of 18.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
Dealer warranty and factory warranty are two different things. You don't have full factory warranty. You have dealer warranty which is for dealer specific add-ons. The dealer will repair the vehicle if said add-on fails or causes a failure.

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
If I blow the motor, I will have to tow it to the dealer, but I will get taken care of.
The Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act technically offers you some legal protection. However, if you were around in 2015/16 when the 1st gen motors were popping off left and right, you might have a different level of faith as to what exactly a dealer will cover when you bring them a tuned car with a blown motor, language in the warranty notwithstanding. A 200 mile tow to the dealership for them to call and tell you that the tune voided your warranty won't be fun.

I would ditch that OTS tune and get a solid custom one in its place to lower the chances of either one happening.

I blew mine and would have been in trouble if I hadn't staked out two different dealerships and transformed the car back to all stock parts. In the end, its luck, the specific service dept you go to, and how much you're willing to do to cover your own ass by reverting the car back to stock.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Tuned my car w 2k miles w ford perf tune. At 20k now and no concerns about longevity, but I’m warranties for another 16k miles or so and 2 years

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
They will find some way to deny you warranty, some stupid loophole or BS logic. No one is actually going to take the dealer to court because that costs money, so the dealers can do what they want

OP
OP

Flipping Bird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I already had a tail light replaced under warranty. These are aftermarket and expensive. Cost me zero. Actually the gas back and forth from this dealer to my house.
View media item 16632

OP
OP

Flipping Bird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act technically offers you some legal protection. However, if you were around in 2015/16 when the 1st gen motors were popping off left and right, you might have a different level of faith as to what exactly a dealer will cover when you bring them a tuned car with a blown motor, language in the warranty notwithstanding. A 200 mile tow to the dealership for them to call and tell you that the tune voided your warranty won't be fun.

I would ditch that OTS tune and get a solid custom one in its place to lower the chances of either one happening.

I blew mine and would have been in trouble if I hadn't staked out two different dealerships and transformed the car back to all stock parts. In the end, its luck, the specific service dept you go to, and how much you're willing to do to cover your own ass by reverting the car back to stock.
It clearly specifies 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 powertrain, including all installed Cobb parts, in my sales contract. I bought the car (new) at this Ford dealer that sells Cobb. Anyone is entitled to their opinion. I will rely on my sales contract.

To be clear, I purchased my car with all the Cobb parts installed, Cobb AP was provided to me. The car was partially wrapped when I bought it. The dealer add on price to sticker was 8k.

Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
You have a dealer warranty not a "full factory warranty". It's simple: Ford warranties the car that Ford built.

Replacing the after market taillights is your tell tale. Ford would NOT replace aftermarket taillights since Ford didn't build or install them. The dealer is covering you and that is why you "only have a warranty at this dealer'. If you had a "full factory warranty" you could go to any Ford dealer.

OP
OP

Flipping Bird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
So you've basically paid for your full warranty (and the parts). What's so unusual about that ?
Assuming I paid msrp, you would be correct. The car is a 17. I bought it in July of 18. I did not pay msrp.

OP
OP

Flipping Bird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
You have a dealer warranty not a "full factory warranty". It's simple: Ford warranties the car that Ford built.

Replacing the after market taillights is your tell tale. Ford would NOT replace aftermarket taillights since Ford didn't build or install them. The dealer is covering you and that is why you "only have a warranty at this dealer'. If you had a "full factory warranty" you could go to any Ford dealer.
Correct, somebody gets it. My warranty is with this Ford dealer only, as I originally pointed out.

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
I think people are talking about slightly different things here. Those that say you don't have a full "factory" warranty are technically correct because it is the dealer, not FoMoCo that is covering and guaranteeing your car and any issues you may have. As I understand it, you are saying that you have the same coverage, i.e., equivalent of the factory warranty (+ coverage of dealer installed mods and accessories).....and in writing, except it is the dealer not FoMoCo that is providing the coverage and protection for your car. In the end, you are covered, assuming the dealer is honest and the language/provisions of your dealer warranty is legally binding.

Enjoy your car!

edit: Depending on the age and miles on your car, you still have Ford factory warranty on everything that is not excluded by the factory warranty (mods, accessories) and the dealer covers everything that the factory would exclude. So, yes, it seems you have remaining factory warranty plus extended dealer warranty on the "extras". So....the two coverages together give you the "Full Warranty" noted in the title of the thread!
Sponsored

Last edited: